Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - considering taking the plunge from tomtom to garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

considering taking the plunge from tomtom to garmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: considering taking the plunge from tomtom to garmin Reply with quote

fed up of all the charges for live services and map updates so have decided i would try the garmin nuvi 2548 with w european maps. comes with free map and digital traffic at £179 exclusively at halfords.
could someone who has experience of this type of unit answer a few questions as the guys in my local halfords seem clueless.
1. can i create my own POI categories on the garmin. i have around 120 customers i call on that i have set up on my tomtom xl live?
2. if so, would i be able to transfer over my tomtom poi directly to the garmin or would it all need entering again?
3. can the garmin operate with a 'silent voice' so that i only hear the camera warnings?
4. is the in-car power adaptor just a thin cable like the tomtom one as i have mine attached discreetly under the interior trim leading from my cigar lighter under the arm rest (bmw 320d) to the air vent mount and if there was any bulky bits of the lead this would not be possible.
5. should this have been posted on the garmin section of the forum!!!!

many thanks.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You can set up categories either in favourites, or in POIs using POI Loader.

2. Never done it but see here http://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php.

3. I don't believe so normally, though I seem to recall someone managed this by loading a 'silent voice file' onto their Garmin.

4. You'd need to check with Halfords. Previous traffic cables were fairly thick beasts as they contained the aerial and traffic unit. Some later models now have that built into the GPS itself.

5. Wouldn't do any harm!
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CXSNG30/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00CXSNG30&linkCode=as2&tag=cheaphighstre-21

tomtom also do lifetime maps and traffic
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Tomtom on their own units and also on my iPhone.

I have recently moved to a Kenwood in-car system. I don't know if the in-car and the Garmin stand alone are the same, but on the basis of two months use. The tom tom is better for my purposes.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. can i create my own POI categories on the garmin. i have around 120 customers i call on that i have set up on my tomtom xl live?
2. if so, would i be able to transfer over my tomtom poi directly to the garmin or would it all need entering again?

Yes.

The easiest way is use Garmin's "Base Camp". It will import lots of formats.
Click here for Base Camp's home page.

I converted lots of personal POIs from IGO8 (*.kml format) and copied them onto the 2548LMT-D's micro-SD card.

They appear (in any folders you have used) along with any other Favourites.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4) My supplied traffic cable was actually quite thin. However, I've hard wired mine via a third party transformer so I'm not reliant on a ciggy lighter.

In place of the traffic cable I'm using my smartphone bluetooth link with the Garmin Smartlink app.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: considering taking the plunge from tomtom to garmin Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
3. can the garmin operate with a 'silent voice' so that i only hear the camera warnings?

You will get camera warnings even if you're not navigating. Or do you actually want no voice when you are navigating?

MaFt
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP hasn't returned to this since his original post in June ... Wink
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: considering taking the plunge from tomtom to garmin Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
You will get camera warnings even if you're not navigating. Or do you actually want no voice when you are navigating? MaFt

As a new owner myself of the 2548, I would think the op wants no voice when navigating.

Very happy with the Garmin so far, and the DAB Digital Traffic has given me the same warnings as TT Live Services of traffic.
The only minor issue so far, is when I was stuck in traffic TT Live services was faster in telling me that i would be delayed for 1 hour, but as there was no alternative i would have been stuck anyway. (Flooded Road eventually closed)

Free lifetime EU maps and digital traffic, and i paid much less than any new TomTom, it was a no brainer. Also works with PGPSW camera database.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought the 2508 ... also very pleased with it and I agree, the traffic IS impressive Very Happy
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking at the new Garmin range with the dab traffic, does anybody know if it is as good as tomtom live traffic ,I have a dab radio fitted to my car and I have never had traffic information come through over night . I would be interested to here what the traffic info on the Garmin's like for night time and week end driving .
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See post two above yours .... seems to imply it's as good.

I used my new 2508LMT-D with digital traffic this week while away on holiday, and it was very impressive, even at one point warning me about narrow lanes due to construction work but saying there was no delay ... and indeed there wasn't.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: considering taking the plunge from tomtom to garmin Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:

Dunno about the 2548, but I managed it on my nuvi 255 as described here

Dales
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Garmin Nuvi 2548LMT-D from Halfords.

I can hopefully answer a few questions if asked.

I've no experience of Tomtoms other than in a hire car in Australia a few years ago.

I've had IGO8 (excellent!) running off an SD Card on an old Mio 320 (initially great but starting to fail) for a few years, which is my benchmark.

Digital Traffic Info.
It seems to work OK, giving advance info of traffic holdups on the journey. I've not yet encountered the need for a detour. The big issue is the quality of the traffic info rather than the SatNav's system. Two local hold-ups - both week long road works with traffic lights and minor diversions - did not seem to be listed.

The cable from the 12V socket to the 2548 is quite long and thick as I believe it's the aerial for the traffic info.

Message to Mods:
I expect this info/review ought to be in the Garmin Section.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: