Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trial for Safety Camera in Belgium and Luxembourg
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trial for Safety Camera in Belgium and Luxembourg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Trial for Safety Camera in Belgium and Luxembourg Reply with quote

Grateful for any advice - my Garmin 1440T already has a paid subscription for Safety Cameras in France on it, which has been in operation for nearly a year now.

I wanted to download a free trial for Belgium and Luxembourg and I now get the message

"Activation not allowed

A subscription is already active on this device. You may only activate the trial subscription on a device that does not have any previous subscriptions.

Please go back and connect a different device to continue"
and a retry gives exactly the same thing - surely if you have a safety camera download for any country you can download another?

Any clues as to a work around on this one?

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take a free trial for the French one before you downloaded it? That may prevent any other free trials.

Incidentally the option on the UK site is now only UK or all Europe for a paid subscription, you may already have Belgium covered?
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sussamb

Thanks for the prompt reply - No, I didn't do a trial first on France, I did a straight download of the Safety Cameras in France last year, and paid the appropriate fee, so this trial was to be used in conjunction with the already paid for France one.

This would seem to block anybody having a free trial to anywhere if they already have a paid subscription, and if you were not happy with the trial why would you then seek a paid subscription, and I note your comments about maybe already have Belgium.

However, their website confirms I already have a paid subscription for safety cameras in France, and gave me a update just before I tried the one for Belgium and Luxembourg.

I also have a paid subscription for the Western Europe route updates, and I am up to date on that. It is just the safety camera problem for Belgium and Luxembourg.

I have also dropped an e-mail to Garmin using websales@garmin.com, which was on the "thanks for your garmin.com order" e-mail, I will keep you advised what they say - if anything!

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be good to know what they say, I know I took a free trial in UK and was then denied any other one in any other country, which I guess makes sense. Your situation though is different.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what the trial is for:

1) a trial of the data in a specific country
or
2) a trial so the user can see how the database works in general

I think you expect it to be option 1 - therefore you want to trial the Belgian data, having already used the French data.

However, I suspect the trial is for option 2 - so you can see how the database works and the types of alert you get. As you have already had first hand experience of a database they don't let you have another free trial.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the obvious next question: why not use our database?

MaFt
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Belgium and Luxembourg free trial problems Reply with quote

Hi Sussamb

I can appreciate Garmin not giving you another free trial, but as you say my situation is different.

No response yet from Garmin, nor am I expecting one, even though they should answer a request for information as to why it failed.

Hi MaFt

Thanks for your replies - you are correct I want it for Option 1, after all, the fact that I am familiar with the system for France doesn't mean that the system for Belgium and Luxembourg works in exactly the same manner, although of course I expect it to.

However this "As you have already had first hand experience of a database they don't let you have another free trial." does not apply as my France data was paid for from day one, with no free trial, and this is the only free trial I have requested, and I cannot see anything on their website that says I cannot have a free trial with an existing subscription, unless anybody else can?

As to our database - I am generally quite happy with what Garmin supplies, with regular Western Europe (and France safety camera) updates and surely I would have to pay a fee to obtain what I already have?

cheers

Allan
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are paying a fee to Garmin?

Our database is £19.99 for whatever regions you need, we also offer real voice alerts as well as a lot more customisation options. If you have other satnav's in the household (eg spouse, children) then you can use your single subscription on up to 3 satnavs.

MaFt
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt

Thanks for your prompt reply - I originally paid for "lifetime" updates, as you know about 4 a year, on Western Europe, and whatever they do for the main database (currently 2014/10) - and then when they brought in the France Safety Camera database I opted to pay for 1 year, which I don't have to extend if I don't want to when it runs out, it just sits there.

However, our database does seem appealing, so will have to give it some thought.

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've been contributing to threads here so long I feel as though I should use them also ... just haven't taken the plunge yet Very Happy
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - now returned from Belgium to find no response at all from Garmin, surprise! surprise!

However, whilst in Belgium I had several alerts showing mobile camera areas appear, and can only presume they are from the original road data from Belgium that has been regularly updated when Western Europe updates.

So perhaps either the free trial or the paid for safety camera data was not required!!

Allan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: