Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - thinking of changing from tomtom to garmin - advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

thinking of changing from tomtom to garmin - advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: thinking of changing from tomtom to garmin - advice please Reply with quote

fed up of all the charges for live services and map updates so have decided i would try the garmin nuvi 2548 with w european maps. comes with free map and digital traffic at £179 exclusively at halfords.
could someone who has experience of this type of unit answer a few questions as the guys in my local halfords seem clueless.
1. can i create my own POI categories on the garmin. i have around 120 customers i call on that i have set up on my tomtom xl live?
2. if so, would i be able to transfer over my tomtom poi directly to the garmin or would it all need entering again?
3. can the garmin operate with a 'silent voice' so that i only hear the camera warnings?
4. is the in-car power adaptor just a thin cable like the tomtom one as i have mine attached discreetly under the interior trim leading from my cigar lighter under the arm rest (bmw 320d) to the air vent mount and if there was any bulky bits of the lead this would not be possible.

many thanks.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have asked the very same questions here. In which thread would you like the answers? Double posting is usually not at all helpful and is frowned apon as it can lead to any answers being spread between the two posts and confusing everyone. Wink
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that he is asking a question of two different sets of users I think it is very valid to ask the question in two different areas. Why should a Tom Tom user follow the Garmin section and vice versa.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cwog.
Without trying to upset you, but seing as how you asked, one of the reasons is the one that I mentioned above. Another is here Section 1, fourth bullet point down.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to show bad forum etiquette but was advised by a reply on the tomtom forum to post also on the garmin side. If this offends, please delete.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it does not offend, I was just pointing this out to cwog.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
You have asked the very same questions here. In which thread would you like the answers? Double posting is usually not at all helpful and is frowned apon as it can lead to any answers being spread between the two posts and confusing everyone. Wink

It was me that suggested it. The OP had originally posted this in the tomtom section, which many Garmin users won't look at. I'm against double posting too generally but I feel that in this case it's justified Wink

If anyone is able to merge the other post with this one and delete the thread in the TT forum I'm sure the OP wouldn't object Smile
mrflobby71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking of changing from tomtom to garmin - advice plea Reply with quote

The TomTom 1005 HDT EU with three years live and lifetime map updates would be a better bet, even if it is an "older" model (199 at John Lewis apparently). The digital radio traffic thing is unlikely to satisfy you, just look at DAB coverage in the UK, and compare it with virtually any of the mobile providers. Then think about how it's going to work abroad, and suddenly the penny drops... cellular coverage is better, and when it's provided by the unit itself, you don't incur data charges when *tethering* that's the keyword. Personally, I'd wait to see what the new TomTom GO series are like...

And I'm speaking here as a Garmin 1695 user who's just come back from a eurotrip, where I was infuriated by the inaccuracy and lack of itraffic nformation, as well as routing issues. Some of these things could be model specific, but I'm going to be looking to another manufacturer as soon as my subscription to live services expires.

Regarding traffic info. Received notification of 33 minute delay on Rotterdam A15 ring road yesterday. Turned out to be complete nonsense, so lucky I didn't try a reroute or I really would have missed the ferry.

Throughout germany, areas where the GPS suggested issues, were clear, and where it said clear, were at a virtual standstill. Incredibly disappointing.

It was right about one thing today, on the A66 from Scotch Corner west bound, but failed to identify the "incident", which turned out to be horses and carts (Appleby Fair). If I'd know, I may well have rerouted. Instead, I'm thinking accident that will be clear by the time I get there. Poorly labelled generic information, with no indication of distance from current location without having to interact with the unit while driving.

Sorry, it's getting on my goat now, but I think my answer is sound!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1695 is a bit long in the tooth now. Certainly my experience with traffic on my Garmin 1490 both here and in France has been very positive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: