Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - question regarding the amount of files per speed camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

question regarding the amount of files per speed camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: question regarding the amount of files per speed camera Reply with quote

hi
have installed the pgpsw data base onto a new START 20 Europe via MyTomTom. seems to be working ok, but in the guide on this site for the installation it states i should have 4 files for every speed camera: ov2, bmp, X2bmp and ogg. i can only see 3 files per camera installed: ov2, X2bmp and ogg.
am i missing something or is this now how it is?
also, when configuring the sound warnings it took me almost an hour as there seemed to be loads more than there are cameras, for example the speed cam for a 30mph gatso showed its icon and automatically i didn't need to select a sound (i had sound effect enabled) but the next camera was for a gatso 302 where i had to configure a sound? any ideas or have i just not done it right Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, lets see if we can get at least the first part of your question sorted out quickly.

First some background...

As you rightly say, there can be UPTO four files for any POI (including cameras)

1. The .ov2 data file is essential
2. The .bmp icon is essential

The other two are optional:

3. The "X2" icon is just used for the larger display in the top left corner during a POI warning. If it's not there the TomTom just scales-up the normal one.
4. The .ogg audio warning can be added to replace any of the built-in warning sounds with a different one or a spoken warning.

----

Now onto the issue with MyTomtom...

When some bright spark designed how 'MyTomTom' looks, he decided to COMBINE the .ov2 file and the .bmp icon file in the displayed list..so it just shows the .ov2 file but with the correct icon beside it.
I assume he thought that was clever... but he FORGOT about the additional two files!

That means that if you add a POI set with JUST the .ov2 and a .bmp(i.e. 2 files) it will only appear as ONE line in the list, (see "dummy" in this pic):

Very neat and tidy looking!

But if you also add an "X2" double-sized icon it appears as a separate entry (see "Electrical shops" in my example here):

Similarly, if you add an .ogg audio file it appears as ANOTHER separate entry, (but for some reason this time it manages to use the right icon again). Here it is for the30mph Gatsos:

So for a properly installed set of PGPSW camera files, there will be THREE lines per camera type, but the fact that the right icon is showing proves that all FOUR files are present.

Hope that makes sense!?!?

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding the amount of files per speed camera Reply with quote

Now, on to the slightly more mysterious second part...

tonygold wrote:
hi
when configuring the sound warnings it took me almost an hour as there seemed to be loads more than there are cameras, for example the speed cam for a 30mph gatso showed its icon and automatically i didn't need to select a sound (i had sound effect enabled) but the next camera was for a gatso 302 where i had to configure a sound? any ideas or have i just not done it right Smile

That's definitely a mistake, I don't know how it's happened, but you seem to have installed everything twice. (it looks like you have Gatso 30 and Gatso30 (2))

Go back into MyTomTom and look at the list of POI files installed

The first few should look like this:

Delete any extra lines and repeat it all the way down the list, getting rid of the "doubles"
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy, many thanks for your detailed responses. i think you have got it spot on. so i was also setting a 'warn when near' sound for these duplicates (302 etc) i will now go back into the files and delete as appropriate.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: