Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do any Garmins have an audible excess speed alert?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do any Garmins have an audible excess speed alert?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brennano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Do any Garmins have an audible excess speed alert? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a Garmin which will give you an audible alert when you go over the speed limit for the road you are driving on.
I would like the audible alert for excess speed on all roads not just ones with speed cameras.
Is there any Garmin models which would do this?
Thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not AFAIK. I must agree though, I'd like to see that also. My old Mio navman allowed you to set an audible alert and it's the one thing I've missed since switching to Garmins about 3 years ago Crying or Very sad
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin 2460 has something called Audible Speed Alerts, which is reached via Tools/Settings/Navigation/Car/Audible Speed Alerts. I have not used it so cannot comment on it any further. Unfortunately, there is no explanation nor reference to it in the Garmin manual.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do any Garmins have an audible excess speed alert? Reply with quote

brennano wrote:
I'm looking for a Garmin which will give you an audible alert when you go over the speed limit for the road you are driving on.
I think that the feature mentioned would hack you off PDQ, unless you are a saint Supreme Angel Also bear in mind that a lot of the speed limits embedded in the various maps are wrong Sad
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabri wrote:
The Garmin 2460 has something called Audible Speed Alerts, which is reached via Tools/Settings/Navigation/Car/Audible Speed Alerts. I have not used it so cannot comment on it any further. Unfortunately, there is no explanation nor reference to it in the Garmin manual.

All that does is turn off audible alerts for safety/speed cameras, the OP wants an alert when he exceeds a certain limit on ANY road.

My old Mio allowed you to set an alert if you went 5 mph over the limit for example.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussamb, Not on a 2460 it doesn't. My audible speed alerts to set to off (or whatever the off setting is called) and I can still get Garmin speed camera warning sounds (if I activate the Garmin camera data) or if I use the pGPS data.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabri. How about switching it on and going for a short overspeed drive Driving and post here for the benefit of the OP's question Thumbs Up
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on my To Do list for tomorrow. It would not be legal for me to do it now.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car has this feature built in, global not by individual road, and I've only set it for 75mph+

I agree with the above comment that if you had it for all roads that Garmin knows about you would quickly be turning it off.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
brennano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so far.
I work for a utility company in Northern Ireland and the company has recently put trackers in our vans.
They company have also started disciplining workers who get points for speeding in their vehicles so I'm trying to avoid this.
I know false alerts would be annoying but worth it if it helps me stay out of trouble at work.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. I have tried the unit in action over a fairly short time. Briefly, the unit gives three bongs as soon as you go over the speed limit, and gives the same as reminders every approx. 12 seconds that you stay over the limit. I can't find any adjustment to the tolerance - it appears to be fixed at 1 mph above the limit. [Note that on this unit you can change the road speed limits, but only in increments of 5 mph.] Over a short run the warning was not too intrusive, but I am not intending to keep it activated.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on my old Garmin 2200 there was such a feature.

When I was going faster than the speed limit the speed limit (bottom right corner) would change colour and I could hear a very faint 'bong'.

In your case, if your Garmin has the same feature you could investigate increasing the 'bong' volume level, if you can find the appropriate sound file.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find a separate volume control for it, although it does change with the overall volume setting.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen and others, Please ignore my last response. Rushed in my answer without fully reading the comment. Sorry.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about newer TomTom models, but my GO720 has this facility.

Unfortunately it has to be set to a number of miles per hour above the limit, whereas I'd prefer a percentage of 10%, but I have it set to 5mph and seldom hear the warning except sometimes on motorways, when I immediately ease my foot on the accelerator pedal.

Yes, some speed limits on the device are wrong, either in error or because they've changed, but I still find it a useful feature.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: