Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dspugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ? Reply with quote

Hi,
Was travelling Eastbound on the M56 this morning. Between Junction 15 (M53) and 14 (Chester Services), a man was on a bridge with a camera on a stand. He wore an illuminous jacket, but there was no sign of a police vehicle. He was pointint the camera at the 3rd, fast lane.

Has anybody got any idea if this was a Police Speed camera ?

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ? Reply with quote

dspugh wrote:
Was travelling Eastbound on the M56 this morning. Between Junction 15 (M53) and 14 (Chester Services), a man was on a bridge with a camera on a stand. He wore an illuminous jacket, but there was no sign of a police vehicle. He was pointint the camera at the 3rd, fast lane.

Has anybody got any idea if this was a Police Speed camera ?

Impossible to say. Entirely possible that the police car was parked off to the side or that it was something entirely different and not a speed camera at all.
dspugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I find out - my TomTom didnt warn that it was a potential location, but my file could be old ?

Do Cheshire Police not have to announce where they are checking speeds ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do Cheshire Police not have to announce where they are checking speeds ?

Nope, a commonly held old wives tale. If they had to announce where they operated then our lives would be whole lot simpler.

Safety Cam Partnerships often publish areas that they will be operating in but only a vague area and not an actual location.

And even so, Traffic Police don't and so a laser operated by a Police Officer is not covered.

You could call 'em or you can wait and see if you get an NIP. Looking at our camera map though, there is a Mobile site located on the bridge at Cryeers Lane where it crosses the M56 between Jct 15/14.

That could be the one?
oldisnew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ? Reply with quote

On Wednesday 18th Aug 2010, at about 8:15 - 8:30pm on M56 Eastbound Junction 10 - 9, a man was on a bridge over the M56, with a long lens camera on a stand. The bridge was on a road between Barleycastle Ln and Swineyard Ln, Appleton. The man wore a yellow luminous jacket with no luminous white bands and he did not have a cap on his head. He was positioned over the middle lane, which I was driving along. Last April forum visitor D S Pugh had the same experience on the M56 Eastbound between Junctions 14 & 15. Did anyone ever find out whether this was a Police Speed Camera, since I am also left wondering what this was?
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been a stobart fan looking for a new truck! Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also have been a twitcher or an anarak on the wrong line
oldisnew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ? Reply with quote

Most cars had some or all lights on, since it was very close to sunset and lighting up time. If it was a Stobart fan, I wonder why he would face his camera towards the failing daylight from the West?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though, without seeing the man with the cam, it's difficult to guess what he was doing. Your description of a camera with a long lens does not seem to fit with a handy or tripod mounted speed cam. But any guess at what he was doing is as good as any other.
oldisnew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ? Reply with quote

Unfortunately the man with the cam was only spotted at close range, so there wasn't much time to view him. If it was a tripod mounted speed cam that he was stood behind, perhaps it was a type of Autopatrol PR-100, if that makes sense.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like it was a speed trap then if it was an autopatrol PR-100. That cam does look like a cam with a telephoto, but I thought that they used laser devices these days
oldisnew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ? Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply M8TJT. If it was a speed trap, I wonder whether DSPugh ever heard any more after April 27th, when the previous conversation dried up. On the brighter side, I've found that there is someone, by the name of Simon Walsh, who is taking photos of lorries on the M56. Here are a couple of links:-
http://www.lorryspotting.com/newsArticle.asp?nID=1123959715
http://www.lorryspotting.com/newsArticle.asp?nID=1123959876
oldisnew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: M56 Eastbound Junction 14-15 - was it a speed camera ? Reply with quote

Further to my reply posted on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 pm, the mystery of what the camera man was doing on the M56 bridge remains unsolved. Maybe this is just as well, who knows?
mkelbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been travelling on this route for 3 weeks straight now and on Tuesday 16th October at around J14 I saw this very same man on the bridge around 16:00 hours.

I always question my speed when I see what I think is a mobile speed trap so now I have another 12days+ of hell worrying about this.

Can anyone confirm if it was a speed trap as there was no police patrol vehicles I could see nor was there any van on the bridge with this man.

Would appreciate if someone could confirm cause this could put me on 9 points now until March.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to post twice, your posts will get seen Smile

But I don't think anyone is going to be able to say for sure. As Darren said above....

Darren wrote:

Impossible to say. Entirely possible that the police car was parked off to the side or that it was something entirely different and not a speed camera at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: