Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigating to Junctions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating to Junctions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGavsta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Navigating to Junctions Reply with quote

Does anyone else have problems using the Junction option when setting a destination or via point? For most junctions, I find the search results in "No matches found".

Looking out of my window I can see a junction of an A and a B road, however, my Zumo 660 cannot find that junction via a search for either road numbers or the road names.

I came across the problem touring France last year; when away I like to plan from a paper map and create a route of waypoints on the GPS using the junction feature. The Zumo simply couldn't 'find' the junctions despite them showing on the map. Never had a problem doing this on TomTom devices!!!

This is the example that has reminded me of the issue: I wanted to set a pub called The Errington Arms that sits on the junction of the A68 and the B6318 in Northumberland as a waypoint in a route. It's not a POI so searched for the junction using all three options, City: Corbridge, Post Code: NE45 5QB and Search All. Nothing.

I cannot figure it out. Despite the map showing the roads meet, it's as if the GPS thinks the roads do not. I've spent a long time trawling the web for answers to no avail. Is it just my device?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigating to Junctions Reply with quote

TheGavsta wrote:
Does anyone else have problems using the Junction option when setting a destination or via point? For most junctions, I find the search results in "No matches found".

I've never used it - as a last resort, I use "Browse Map". This may well be because I've never got it work Confused

and he wrote:
I wanted to set a pub called The Errington Arms that sits on the junction of the A68 and the B6318 in Northumberland as a waypoint in a route...
... Despite the map showing the roads meet, it's as if the GPS thinks the roads do not.

I think this is down to Navteq's data and the way the junction is represented in the map...
If you look at that junction in more detail:-

it seems to be represented as a roundabout, to which is attached very short links from the actual roads that 'join'.

So, the B6318 actually connects to the B6318(W) that connects to a roundabout that connects to the A68(S) that connects to the A68 etc etc.
As far as the map is concerned, the B3618 isn't actually connected to the A68 at all.

(And on the unit I tried, you can't use the little 'link' roads, because they don't show up as choices when navigating to a junction.)

Sad
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that Garmin expects street names not road numbers when searching for junctions. My 1490 works perfectly well when you input names.

As already posted though, I tend to use 'browse map' and select from there if I'm after a junction as a destination.
TheGavsta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the replies. The on/off ramps are an interesting idea. I wonder if the junction search fails with roundabouts too; I'll try some further tests with road names as well.

For me it's a shame this doesn't work reliably on Garmin. After all TomTom seem to have it sorted.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Names or Numbers... Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I think you'll find that Garmin expects street names not road numbers when searching for junctions.

I can get it to work with either names or numbers, if the junction is 'simple enough' and you enter the correct "city or post code" to start with.

For example, the junction of the A650 and the A654 (or Bradford Road and Thorpe Lane) works. However, it only works if you enter a Post Code of "WF3 1" or "Tingley" or "Wakefield". Anyone unfamiliar with the area (ie someone who might actually need a satnav to get there!), would probably put "Leeds" ... or the nearest town ("Morley") - neither of which work.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I don't use junctions often so as a test I put in my home town and the junction of 2 major A roads ... no joy Crying or Very sad

But it did work with street names ... so I maybe jumped to the wrong conclusion, seems numbers might work after all (if only occasionally) Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: