Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dissapointed with Expansys!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dissapointed with Expansys!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toonboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Dissapointed with Expansys! Reply with quote

Hi all

As I am relatively new to GPS, I thought I would buy through a reputable online retailer- Expansys!

In May of this year I purchased a Nexian Nexipak, 256Mb CF Card and a Pretec GPS LP Card. A total of about £240.

However this month (one month after the purchase) the Pretec antenna (which came supplied) has basically come apart from the connector which inserts into the CF Card. I contacted Expansys to inform them of the problem to which they replied that it would have to be repaired/replaced under manufacturer warranty. I then sent them an email saying that I wasn't happy with a repair or replacement because I could see the same problem happening again (Pocket GPS World's review of the Pretec LP has concerns about this), so I asked for a completely different GPS Card to which the reply was

"The item in question is under manufacturer warranty for one year from purchase and it can now only be dealt with under a warranty/repair situation i'm afraid"

I then asked if I was entitled to a refund under "s14 Sale of Goods Act"? to which the reply was:

"As per our terms and conditions, agreed to on purchase, your refund period was 21 days from arrival.

After 21 days the items are under manufacturer warranty and must be dealt with accordingly.
I hope this information helps."

So I then asked how long will it take to replace/repair the defective items to which the reply was:

"Get the goods back to us as instructed, it could take a while it will have
to go back to our supplier."

I have given Expansys ample opportunity to prove that their after-sales service is second to none, however I have not received one word of an apology for the inconvenience. I have not received an offer of a substitute GPS system while mine is being repaired.

If there are any Expansys reps reading this post, I think a more accomadating policy regarding defective and non functional hardware over the 21 day period would perhaps bring customers back if they knew they had a decent after-sales service!

Rant-Over

Cheers
Marc
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it won't help you with expansys - but if you are talking about the external antenna then these can be brought very cheaply for no more than 20 quid from globalpositioningsystems or handtec.

see http://www.handtec.com/moreinfo.asp?ProductID=123

14.99 (plus vat if applicable) and in stock - although branded haicom they will work fine as the connector is the same. I have got though 2 of these in the past 18 months - now carry a spare just incase. The original pretec one gave out after about 8 months (never thought to return it) and one other died in a particularly violent car wash (I normally leave it attached to the roof regardless).

To be honest the margins are so low you can't expect M & S levels of returns service - send it back and buy another one for when it happens again.
toonboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianjc - thanks for your comments

I sent everything back to expansys via royalmail special delivery on Monday 21st June 2004 and I am yet to receive an email to inform me of the progress of my complaint!

I have just purchased a different GPS CF card from globalpositionsystems, so Expansys has lost my custom through a poor customer support service.

Expansys = sell you the product - take your money - no customer support for defective items - then fob you off to their suppliers!

I am sure when one purchases goods the contract is between the consumer and the retailer, not the consumer and the supplier!

Expansys have failed in my experience, of customer services!

Cheers
Marc
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that Expansys are indeed acting illegaly. You purchased an item with them, and as such your contract is with them - not the manufacturer.
The Sale Of Goods act makes it clear that they should refund if goods are faulty - and only a months worth of operation should clearly define your GPS as faulty.

Sadly, too many companies these days hide behind the manufactuers warranty, when in fact it is their responsibility. Forums such as this will encourage us to go elsewhere for our purchases, to their detriment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: