Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New nuvi3790LMT Owner Advice and Commuicator Plugin Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New nuvi3790LMT Owner Advice and Commuicator Plugin Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Champion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: New nuvi3790LMT Owner Advice and Commuicator Plugin Problems Reply with quote

I am new to this world of SatNavs and have dived into it starting with a first attempt to update maps on my unit. Right off, I ran into a problem getting Garmin's Communicator Plugin to update in either Safari, or IE9. I am running Windows 7, and do not like or use Windows Media Player, and don't have that installed on my computer, and I noticed that is required by Communicator Plugin update 2xx to 4xx. I am not certain why that would prevent a browser plugin update though or if that is the problem in the first place. Should I worry about accessing my Garmin through this route? Is there a better way? Currently my Garmin is plugged in via a USB cable, but no way to talk to it. Grrr.

Secondly, I have just begun research on getting the most of my new Garmin. Is there some general advice people can offer that would speed me along? I would like to obviously get map updates, change voices, and have the speed cameras set up on it. Thanks for any and all help.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly have you read the manual or browsed Garmins website?

Have you registered your device with Garmin?
Have you downloaded the Lifetime Map Updater application?
Have you downloaded POI Loader?

I know you should have the map guarantee, but as the product has been discontinued not sure how long you will continue to get map updates for it
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need Windows Media Player for Garmin Communicator.

Make a backup first and copy hidden System file directory too.

Suggest you register the device in Garmin's My Dashboard - from their main website - allow the Communicator program to install via instructions on pop up blocker.

You should then be able to install the latest maps from here. Even if the unit is now discontinued the lifetime maps should be valid for the lifetime of the unit - providing this is a brand new / out of the box unit and not previously registered to another user.

Suggest you look for Garmin's webupdater program and this will install software updates (you'll need these for the map update anyway) plus other files such as voice, help, text and traffic updates. Webupdater tends to be more robust than My Dashboard and you can user define exactly what you install.

Use POILoader from Garmin to upload any personal POIs plus the Speed Cam database from this site - you may want to look at ASH's Camera Manager (See Sticky) to help with the set up / automation process. You'll also need SOX.exe to enable the voices to work if you download these too (copy SOX into the POILoader directory).
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
You should then be able to install the latest maps from here. Even if the unit is now discontinued the lifetime maps should be valid for the lifetime of the unit - providing this is a brand new / out of the box unit and not previously registered to another user.

This what Garmin state on their website

Quote:
If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for 1 compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.

But I agree if it's brand new and only just been purchased then they should at least provide the updates for a period of time or shops should stop selling them
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did get Communicator to work for my updates (not maps).

I downloaded the standalone Garmin 'WebUpdater' and that works flawlessly for me.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: