Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help keeping speed camera settings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help keeping speed camera settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyab99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Help keeping speed camera settings Reply with quote

Hi

Probably a basic question that may have been asked before, but can anyone tell me how I can keep the camera database distances I have taken time to input when I update a map on my old TomTom Go 500? Every time I update a map, I have to put all the POI distance and sound information in again. A real pain which is making me reluctant to update to the latest maps. Any help would be appreciated.

On a similar note, any clues as to how I keep my favourites when the map is updated as well? Thanks.

Probably some files which need to be backed up and then re-installed once the new map is installed, but which ones?

And as I'm typing this, as the 500 is an old model and a bit long in the tooth now, what's the community preferences on a newer model Tom Tom which will take the Pocket GPS data base? Doesn't have to be that current or the latest model so long as it's still available to buy.

Cheers
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help keeping speed camera settings Reply with quote

garyab99 wrote:
Probably some files which need to be backed up and then re-installed once the new map is installed, but which ones?

One file in the map folder - named mapsettings.cfg. But check it carefully - the name may or may not have capital letters. Copy it onto your computer and copy it back to the map folder in the 500 after map update. You could actually also copy it to the root of the device, to save messing with the computer, and copy it back from there. There may come a time when it doesn't work so you'll have hassle again. Best bet is to make a copy of your Favourites as a POI category, because map updates these days transfer them across - name them Favourites, but with an underscore before the F, then they'll appear at the front of your POI list.

And finally - the 500 is one of the finest TomToms out there. I sold my mate my 300 and he NEVER EVER found the reset thingy because he never needed to use it - can't say that about any later TomTom model! Sure, the later ones have bigger screens which are lovely, but their speakers are rubbish and the stability is awful. If it aint broke, don't mend it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help keeping speed camera settings Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

One file in the map folder - named mapsettings.cfg. But check it carefully - the name may or may not have capital letters.

On the hardware models it's always called "MapSettings.cfg".
But I think it's "mapsettings.cfg" on the iPhone etc.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help keeping speed camera settings Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
DennisN wrote:

One file in the map folder - named mapsettings.cfg. But check it carefully - the name may or may not have capital letters.

On the hardware models it's always called "MapSettings.cfg".
But I think it's "mapsettings.cfg" on the iPhone etc.

It's mapsettings.cfg on my GO550 Live. It was MapSettings.cfg on my GO700. That's why I said "But check it carefully - the name may or may not have capital letters."

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help keeping speed camera settings Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
That's why I said "But check it carefully - the name may or may not have capital letters."
and having them or not, may or may not make any difference especially if you don't change the capitalisation.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help keeping speed camera settings Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
That's why I said "But check it carefully - the name may or may not have capital letters."
and having them or not, may or may not make any difference especially if you don't change the capitalisation.

My own feelings precisely.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to agree, you're right.
I have religiously believed it was always 'capital M capital S', and it is on almost every backup of every device that has passed through my hands (probably around a dozen or more).

But it is 'small m small s' on both my 940 and 950 and has been since day one. Amazed I could have missed that.

15-Love!

Anyone want to check if it actually matters or not? I would do, but I'm being hassled out the door to go on holiday. Mad
garyab99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It's very much appreciated.

I'll do a map update this weekend hopefully, making sure of course that I back up the MapSettings.cfg file (or mapsettings.cfg) file and see if it works with and/or without the capitalisation. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the advice on the old Go500 too. If it's as good as you say when compared to the newer models, I'll hang on to it till it dies on me. I would just like to say though I do know where the hardware reset button is as I have used it on a number of occasions. It has jammed and locked up on me a few times, or failed to boot up - but having said all that it still works and was in use today on the M25 - which I have to say was spookily quiet on the southern stretch this morning at 7am. I didn't drop below 60 from Junction 9 through to 16!!!! Is this some kind of record?

Thanks again.
garyab99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help keeping speed camera settings Reply with quote

Hi Dennis

Sorry, just a quick question... ish.... You said......

"Best bet is to make a copy of your Favourites as a POI category, because map updates these days transfer them across - name them Favourites, but with an underscore before the F, then they'll appear at the front of your POI list."

Can you expand on how I do that ?

I opened the MapSettings.cfg file (it is capitals on the GO500) in Notepad and can see in between the hieroglyphics my favourites info - but I can't see any reference to the speed camera info/distances etc - but this of course may well be what the hieroglyphics are all about.

Is it just this one file I need to back up to catch everything - favourites, POI distances etc?

Cheers
garyab99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help keeping speed camera settings Reply with quote

Whoops sent last message again Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good post somewhere on how to do it, but I'll see if this will get you there...

Create POI Category - name it _Favourites

Add POI, then choose your Favourite and add that one. Then the next, then the next. Bob's yer Uncle.

If that's too vague, I'm pretty sure Andy did a very good write up on how to do.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If that's too vague, I'm pretty sure Andy did a very good write up on how to do.
This one do?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That method doesn't work for me - having found the favourite in Browse map, there is no option to save as POI. Probably the way different model's menus work.

So...

Change Preferences
Manage POIs
Add POI category
type name.... _favourites (I couldn't get an uppercase f)
select a picture/icon for the category (I chose the heart symbol)

and now...

Add POI
Choose category favourites (appears at the front of the list because of the underscore at start of name)
Then choose Favourite from the next menu and select your first favourite.
Then Add POI again and do it again, choosing your second favourite. Repeat until golden brown and crisp. Laughing

Robert est ton oncle!

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
That method doesn't work for me ...
In that case you could try This method, from the 3rd paragraph.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: