Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 750 Go Live No Command and Control
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

750 Go Live No Command and Control
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: 750 Go Live No Command and Control Reply with quote

Around 4 days ago I downloaded the latest application through Tomtom Home. This resulted in my Device freezing on the Splash page. I then contacted Tomtom Support as a result I spent the last 3 days carrying out the following with no result.
Delete the update Install again, Delete my Maps Install again, delete the computer voices install again,delete Loquendo file install again. Format drive. I am using a 4gb external card.
My warranty (with Amazon) expires in weeks and I have arranged to return it hoping they will reinburse me as they have no more 750s which I like for the Itinery planning.
Anyone any quick advice before I am forced to hand it over to the Courier on Monday, dont really want to let it go. Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a back up of the device on your computer prior to loading the last update.
If you don't have a full back up have you updated maps on the device using the PC you currently own, if so there will be a copy of the map on the PC - Mike
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for your help I note you refer to maps and backup and if you are talking about a computer backup and not a Home backup I only found out about this today, thought Home backup was all as I needed.
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Having checked my computer it appears I have 2 backups one from October 2011 and one from yesterday certainly the one from October has maps.
Dave
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 750 Go Live No Command and Control Reply with quote

dave2951 wrote:
Around 4 days ago I downloaded the latest application through Tomtom Home. This resulted in my Device freezing on the Splash page....

Mine did the same. It's the mapsettings.cfg file (your favourites) that causes it. You need to delete it using Windows explorer. Tomtom will create a new one itself, but your favourites will have been deleted.

It's shocking that this long known fault is still happening.
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have the problem of freezing screen just no computer voices are you saying this is still the remedy for this thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, I'm a bit confused as to what the exact problem you're have is now.

Your topic title says "No command and control", but in your last post you say the problem is no computer voices.

Can you say which it is? (or is it now both!)

I have to say, that issues with C+C and lost computer voices sometimes seem to be the most tricky to get to the bottom of. Restoring from your own backup is normally the easiest solution, but we've found that getting the exact mix of files and folders from elsewhere seems to be harder than it should be, for these particular problems.

I would try restoring your EARLIEST backup, and seeing if that fixes any voice and C+C issues. Then you can set about getting the latest map off the newest backup.

I'm interested to know where these TWO backups are on your PC, because normally Home only keeps ONE backup (that's one of our main criticisms of it).
In order to be sure you are restoring the correct copy, it would be best to do it manually (without Home), but if it was a backup MADE with home, the exact steps for a manual restore will be a bit different.
Let us know.
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, my problem now is that on my Device Command and Control is greyed out and even though I have voice command voices on my device they are also greyed out.
In relation to backups if I go to my Documents on IE. Tomtom folder, click opens Home click again opens Backup, click again opens Go, click again opens options for Backup1 5/10/11 or Backup2 23/2/12. Hope this explains a little more. I would need advice on loading from Explorer and if there is a risk of freezing again will learn to live without it but a little frustrates all ok until Tomtoms latest update. Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do anything else, make sure you now have a full backup made with Windows Explorer, by copying the entire contents of the TomTom in to a new folder somewhere safe on your PC. Instructions to do that are in our FAQs.

Now, for the C+C, do you still have a folder called "ASR"on the device?
If it's the same as my Go950, that folder should contain the following files
6ENG.ctx
acmod3200_car_eng_f16_compact_lew4.dat
commandsENG.ctx
ddg2p_eng_vadvde_large_lew4.dat
digitsENG.ctx
support_asr.dat
yes_no_ENG.ctx

Next, open the support_asr.dat file with Notepad. Does it consist of a single character - 1 ?

Finally, in your "Europe" map folder, do you have a file called "cspeech_GBR.dat"?

--------------

For the backups I can't remember if the backups made by Home end up compressed into a zip file (as I don't use Home for my Backups I don't have any in the Home/Backups folder.

what do you see inside the folder called "Backup1 5/10/11" if you open it in Windows Explorer?

Is it a single file with a .zip extension or is it a whole load of files and folders (looking just like the contents of the TomTom itself.

If it's a whole bunch of files and folders, then they need to be copied and pasted back onto the Go once you've removed the existing contents.

If it's a single zip file, it needs to be decompressed back to the individual files and folders before you copy it back on to the TomTom.

--------------

Note: All the above assumes you are able to see the three letter extensions to the filenames (the three characters after the dot). If you can't, you need to adjust a setting in Windows Explorer (go to Tools menu / Folder options / View menu - un-tick "hide extensions for known file types)
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next, open the support_asr.dat file with Notepad. Does it consist of a single character - 1 ?

Just to be clear, it's a 1 required in the text file not a 1 with a - symbol preceding it.

Also, make sure it is support_asr.dat, NOT support_asr.dat.txt (in Windows--Contol Panel--Folder View--Advanced, ensure 'hide extensions for known file types is UNchecked).
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before I go any further on connecting to Home I had a new Application to download version 9.401. First of all carried out a full explorer backup. Having completed this noted my Computer voice is not greyed out anymore but Command and Control still is so it still does not work.
Do I carry on with the same work the files you mention are there. Very Happy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question maybe but have you selected a computer voice now?

(yeah, if still not working, I'd proceed with the Explorer backup, etc.)
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what they say the only dumb questions are those that are not asked. Laughing but yes I had.
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no support_asr.dat file in the ASR folder.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you need to create one. It's a text file (so you can use Notepad) and **ALL** it has in it is the 1. No carriage returns, spaces, nothing else.

It MUST be saved as support_asr.dat and make sure Windows does NOT attach .txt as an extension. If it does, just delete it so that the file appears as: support_asr.dat

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: