Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - installation to Parrot Asteroid
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

installation to Parrot Asteroid
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikek7
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: installation to Parrot Asteroid Reply with quote

Hi,

After using Cameralert on my SGS2, I see that the latest version has support for the parrot Asteroid ... but I can't fathom out how to install it? I know how to install an apk from an SD card, but I obviously can't download it from the Market from the Asteroid.

Can you tell me how?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you add apps to the Asteroid otherwise? Does it not have access to the Market at all?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, the Asteroid needs the actual .APK . One way would be for you to send us a PayPal payment (whatever the Android version costs in your country) and we would then provide you with the .APK via email. Since there is no Market on the Asteroid you'd have to follow the news a bit to know when there is a newer version of CamerAlert available.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love Android, what a flippin mess it can be!
mikek7
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pk, I'll paypal the 59p, but can you confirm that it will update the database via the asteroid, or will this be a manual update?

lbendlin wrote:
no, the Asteroid needs the actual .APK . One way would be for you to send us a PayPal payment (whatever the Android version costs in your country) and we would then provide you with the .APK via email. Since there is no Market on the Asteroid you'd have to follow the news a bit to know when there is a newer version of CamerAlert available.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 3G dongle or other internet connection in the car then you can update the database directly on the Asteroid. The first update is free, after that you'd need to subscribe. Subscription can be done on the Asteroid too but it is much more convenient to do it here on the website.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mikek7
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great. I'm already a lifetime subscribers to the database, so I'll paypal the 59p for the app.

Does the apk come direct from you as developer?

lbendlin wrote:
If you have a 3G dongle or other internet connection in the car then you can update the database directly on the Asteroid. The first update is free, after that you'd need to subscribe. Subscription can be done on the Asteroid too but it is much more convenient to do it here on the website.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the developer version does have a different API key and as a result you wouldn't see any maps. We'll send you the market version.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

A tad unfair on Android methinks on this occasion. Until now I have never heard of any Android device produced where the maker was stupid enough not to allow access to the Market. I suspect it is Parrot to blame here.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ, look at Kindle Fire, a smattering of phones and some other tablets. Some phones come without Marke access because the service provider chooses to try and force users to buy through their channels.

Yes, Parrot should shoulder the blame, but Google should be enforcing a tighter grip on standards and what these devices should support as a minimum.

It's a mess.
mikek7
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Some phones come without Marke access because the service provider chooses to try and force users to buy through their channels.

This is definitely the case for the Asteroid. It comes preloaded with a range of premium (French-centric) software - including iCoyote, 'the Leader in real-time Community-Based road information'. £45/year? I don't think so!

Its pretty obvious that Parrot want users to stay with their partner subscription software, but Darren is also partly right - Google should insist on the Market being available.

Darren - By the way, CamerAlert loads and runs OK, but I can't update the database as it tells me there is no network connection. There is one through my phone, and I've confirmed its working with the map app that is pre-installed. Any suggestions?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Darren wrote:

A tad unfair on Android methinks on this occasion. Until now I have never heard of any Android device produced where the maker was stupid enough not to allow access to the Market. I suspect it is Parrot to blame here.

Comet sell an Android tablet (can't remember the name of it right now) that has no Market access at all.

The 'beauty' of Android is that it is open source and manufacturers are free to modify as they please.

But the downside of Android is that it is open source and manufacturers are free to modify as they please.

MaFt
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

The 'beauty' of Android is that it is open source and manufacturers are free to modify as they please.

But the downside of Android is that it is open source and manufacturers are free to modify as they please.

MaFt

I agree with that entirely. Exact opposite to Apple of course where the upside and downside are that they are not open source, there are no other manufacturers and you get only what Apple prescribes for you. And, as you have found out, they can get quite awkward when it comes to the prescribing.

My wife has just got an iPad - Facetime is brilliant compared with Skype and our daughter lives in the USA. But I am amazed I cannot put any real widgets on her home screens (unless I have missed something).

I stand corrected on other Android devices not using the market - but they are only a handful. And I suspect they offer the worst of both worlds.

Really comes back to the old Steve Jobs / Bill Gates divide doesn't it? Me? I go for the "mess" not the "prescription".

Edit - and by the way you can download he Android Market apk so you can always install it afterwards I assume (unless that can be blocked too)
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Edit - and by the way you can download he Android Market apk so you can always install it afterwards I assume (unless that can be blocked too)

Yes and no. It's quite ingrained into the Android OS so if the custom OS already had Market APK then you can download and install an updated version BUT if it was never present then it simply doesn't work.

The tablet I was referring to earlier can get the market app on it BUT it needs rooting and a custom ROM installing - which is more than many people can be bothered to do...

But anyway, I think a mobile OS debate would be better off in the 'off-topic' forum as we're drifting away from the thread topic!

MaFt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikek7 wrote:
By the way, CamerAlert loads and runs OK, but I can't update the database as it tells me there is no network connection. There is one through my phone, and I've confirmed its working with the map app that is pre-installed. Any suggestions?

What kind of network connection is it? 3G USB dongle? What ISP? Try using that dongle on a PC or Mac and see if you can access our website.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: