Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beginner seeking advice.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner seeking advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Droo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Beginner seeking advice. Reply with quote

Hi,

Being a new PDA user and a complete gps novice I was hoping to get some simple advice from the user's here at Pocket GPS world.

I've just bought a lovely Ipaq 4150 replacing my rather old and heavy large laptop for travelling. Im considering getting a GPS module and maps for my trek around the world.

Here are my questions, sorry if some of them are overly simple:

1) I'll be travelling in Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and North America over the course of the next 14 months. Are maps readily available for these regions? and is it worth my while forking out for them?

2) GPS systems bought in the UK work throughout the world?

3) Is there any software that can track people's path? i.e can someone see where I am at any given time? or plot where i've travelled?

4) Having a 4150, and the lack of an expansion jacket has really limited me to a bluetooth gps module, is it worth waiting for the sdio gps? and if so, how will maps be stored?

Im sure i'll have more questions in the future, but I do hope that someone could find the time to help me out.

Many thanks,

Droo.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Droo.

I'm no expert but I can start the ball rolling...

1) I'll be travelling in Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and North America over the course of the next 14 months. Are maps readily available for these regions? and is it worth my while forking out for them?
Australia, New Zealand and N America should be no problem at all. As for Thailand and Fiji... i'm not sure.

2) GPS systems bought in the UK work throughout the world?
Yes they will. GPS is global

3) Is there any software that can track people's path? i.e can someone see where I am at any given time? or plot where i've travelled?
Not with a GPS receiver. You would need a transmitter (e.g. a mobile phone) However, you can track/plot your own path with software such as Memory Map provided you have the maps of the area you are visiting.

4) Having a 4150, and the lack of an expansion jacket has really limited me to a bluetooth gps module, is it worth waiting for the sdio gps? and if so, how will maps be stored?
This will be a problem unless the SDIO GPS has an expansion slot to accept an additional card. They should have as they would be pretty useless on a PDA with only one SD slot, unless of course you had a PDA with dual slots.

There is nothing wrong with bluetooth, it could be a better solution if you are walking as the receiver will have its own power (battery) rather than drain the iPAQ. Plus a data logger such as the Emtac "Trine" GPS Receiver with a replaceable 10-hour battery or the RoyalTek RBT-3000 would help you to log your tracks.

I'm sure there will be someone coming along with more to add soon. Thumbs Up
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS...

I missed out that OziExplorer may have maps of the Pacific Islands but not sure which ones. www.oziexplorer.com
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: