Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Government getting involved.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Government getting involved.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floriank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Government getting involved..... Reply with quote

Hmm, will TomTom take part? I know what I'm thinking.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16434183
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was chatting to a local MP on twitter last night about this actually!

The biggest problem with this is no matter how well the local councils etc update the map providers, people still don't want to pay for updated maps!

The MP I was speaking to had a Garmin Nuvi that was 3 years old and she'd never once updated the maps. She was moaning that it was trying to direct her through a pedestrian area in Wakefield - the pedestrian area was added a few months ago when a new big shopping centre was opened...

I pointed her to the links for updating the maps (£30 for a single update or £60 for 4 updates per year for life) and she commented on how 'expensive' they were.

So even if Navteq, TomTom and Google's map data is bang up to date there is still the issue of that data needing to be customised for each satnav manufacturer - this can add months to the delay. Assuming we skip out that step all together and it was somehow magically possible to install the map data direct from Navteq, TomTom or Google directly then we still have the same issue - people simply do not update their maps!

The government, if they want to do something, need to highlight how important it is to update your maps! And also how important it is not to use a consumer car-based satnav for navigating an HGV...!

People simply need educating.

MaFt
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with large scale road Atlases often available for only about £5.00 people are reluctant to spend the money. When my daughter went off to Edinburgh Uni in 2002 my father offered her his prized Edinburgh Street Map which turned out to have been printed in the 1960s. He was quite surprised when she turned him down Shocked
Jeremy69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree some are reluctant to update but there is truth in the comments about expense.
First companies try to get you on a treadmill of updating. Even if it were cheaper I would not do it every couple of months.
Second errors which have been reported many times and many months or even years ago are not corrected. Users feel frustrated because even if they report an error and it is confirmed it can take months or perhaps years to put it right. Why pay to update in such circumstances?
There is a section of road near to where I was brought up which was wrong 40 years ago and is still wrong on Google map(and others) today!
To show faith I've reported it again but without much hope.

In short people may be unprepared to update but the reason is only partly expense. It is also the feel that you are not getting value for money.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The updates are very expensive - that is the number one reason why people don't update. It's really obvious, surely.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
The updates are very expensive - that is the number one reason why people don't update. It's really obvious, surely.

Garmin offer 4 updates per year for however long you have the satnav for £90. SO if you keep the same satnav for 5 years then that's £90 for 20 updates - less than £5 each...

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap????? Shocked That's another £90 that you have to find, in cash, now, on top of the price of the satnav, making quite a large outlay. Not at all inexpensive.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do Garmins come with a 5 year warranty?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: