Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Repeated dings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Repeated dings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Repeated dings Reply with quote

Does anyone else get this? There's a particular stretch of road about a mile in length where my Zumo 660 appears to have a fit by repeatedly warning of cameras where none exist. Is this a Garmin issue - I wonder what's going on?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you would share with us where this bit of road is, we might be able to have a guess at what's going on.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and also whether you are using the Garmin Cyclops camera database or the database from PGPSWorld. Big difference....

EDIT.... Ah, it seems from your other topic (here) that you are using the PGPSW database.

Assuming you have got the Cyclops database switched off (have you?) it's back to m8TJT's question....
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have switched off the Garmin POIs and just using PGPSW, so far as I am aware.

The stretch in question is the last mile or so of the westward-bound carriageway of the A316 (Chertsey Road) before its junction with the last roundabout before the start of the M3 approach dual-carriageway (junction with Hospital Bridge Road). The strings of alerts starts before the reversible camera and then continues all the way to the roundabout.

I hope this url works:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SubmitCamera&lat=51.52471&lon=-0.26862&mapCountry=0
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 mobile sites (50mph) on that stretch and also 2 pMobiles (unconfirmed) which are 30 and 40mph. Garmin do not allow 3rd party databases such as ours to use our directional data so it could be 1 or both of 2 things:

1) mobile cameras are not always in use BUT you will still get a warning for locations that are used often.

2) as we can't use our directional data on Garmin (blame them, not us!) it will alert you to cameras regardless of direction that are within 'range'. the default range from POI Loader is quite high so it could be alerting you to the 2 pMobiles and the 30 camera nearby too...

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

URL doesn't work (it gives somewhere up on the A40). I think you're talking somewhere around Latitude: 51.44669 Longitude: -0.35722.

I travelled that road both directions last week and didn't notice anything odd. Are you using the latest database download? Have you by any chance changed the type of database you are using and haven't done away with the previous ones. I can't really help - I haven't got a Garmin and from memory I don't think there have been any changes to cameras in that area for quite some time.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt

Not sure if you're in the right location: there's just one reversible 40 mph Gatso, and the 40 mobile site's been cancelled. There is a 30 mph Gatso but it's on a different road and too far away to matter. The (reversible) 50 camera is way too far ahead to matter, too.

I know you guys think the POI Loader default range is too high, but it's not that high as to include things more than a mile further on... !

Regarding direction: I always thought I was being given directional data. In fact I'm sure I am: I'm not warned of fixed cameras not on my side of the road.... Did I misunderstand you?
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the map was displaying properly. Try this one:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=514052&y=173040&z=110&sv=514052,173040&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=585&ax=514052&ay=173040&lm=0
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SubmitCamera&lat=51.444876&lon=-0.360269&mapCountry=0 on our map. I was looking further along the road based on your description earlier.

The default for 30mph i THINK is about 500m, more for 40mph and 50mph cameras.

On that stretch of road heading south-west there are 3 40moh cameras, then you get to 2 50mph cameras and then shortly after that there are 2 50mph mobile sites in close succession.

The 'continuous' bing bing bing will probably be due to the fact that there are a lot of camera sites in close succession. Technically there will be gaps in between the alerts for a few seconds BUT as the next alerts will come on so soon then it will probably sound continuous.

MaFt
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 m or more????????????????? You sure? I'm pretty sure that's not how my Zumo behaves generally. Methinks you're barking up the wrong tree here (in the nicest possible way...).

And have you checked your directionality assertion...? This has really unsettled me... Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just repeat what I said above. I don't have a Garmin, but when I travelled that route in both directions last week, the warnings were correct for what cameras are shown on the map (as described by MaFt), so it's got to be a Garmin/loader thing.

willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we'll leave it at that for now. I'm travelling that way tomorrow, so I'll check my facts and what the Zumo's saying.

But no directionality?

Quote:
as we can't use our directional data on Garmin (blame them, not us!) it will alert you to cameras regardless of direction that are within 'range'
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willmow wrote:
I'm travelling that way tomorrow, so I'll check my facts and what the Zumo's saying.

OK. I suggest if you print this picture to carry with you, it may help the checking...

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willmow wrote:
OK, we'll leave it at that for now. I'm travelling that way tomorrow, so I'll check my facts and what the Zumo's saying.

But no directionality?

Quote:
as we can't use our directional data on Garmin (blame them, not us!) it will alert you to cameras regardless of direction that are within 'range'

correct. if a camera is facing the other way you will still be warned about it. garmin do not allow 3rd party databases to use direction data.

garmin satnav's, however, seem to exhibit some sort of basic 'on your route' direction stuff BUT this is not using our data. eg if a camera is on a side road while driving along motorway then often you will not get warned for it.

MaFt
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so weird. I know you know your stuff, but generally speaking I'm sure my Zumo 660 doesn't warn me of cameras facing the wrong way for my direction of travel. Am I going mad? Oh, I haven't been taking those blinking tablets...... Exclamation

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: