Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 Wont Boot - solved!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 Wont Boot - solved!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: 720 Wont Boot - solved! Reply with quote

Here is a strange one !. Today I had a runtime error while trying to operate my TTom in HOME. As the device worked OK a couple of days ago I thought I would restore the device from a week old back up using HOME in case removing some bmp files had corrupted it somehow. Big mistake !.

Having carried out the restore I closed down the TTom using Safely Remove Hardware, removed the device from its cradle and pressed the start button.
It displayed the TomTom splash screen complete with drum beat but would not boot past that. I tried a reset with no joy. I made sure there was power by connecting it to the mains via the charger, still no good.

I read through some similar stories on this Forum but none seemed to fit my circumstances.

I reconnected the device via the cradle to the PC and it booted into the PC mode so that I could see both the internal and SD card memory.

Having no idea what could have caused the problem I thought 'horlicks' to this and re-installed the navcore. That solved the problem and the system is now up and running.

Just what caused the original problem I have no idea other than a corrupt backup made through HOME. I have now deleted that backup and with confidence in HOME destroyed need to consider making a straight backup copy using Win XP or something more reliable. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that we NEVER suggest using Home for backups/restores.

See here:
http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: 720 Wont Boot Reply with quote

Thanks David, I wasnt aware of the posting or of the HOME's disfunction.

I have backed up my device exactley as your post describes and cannot see the point of keeping HOME on my computer.

Thanks for your advice.

Paul
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need Home to get updates of gpsquickfix files, mapshares and map updates.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: 720 Wont Boot Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
You still need Home to get updates of gpsquickfix files, mapshares and map updates.

Yes I thought that but reading some comments on here there is a school of thought that suggests the fixes cause problems.....exactly what I dont know and I have not been offered any gps fixes of late for some reason. I also used to allways update maps etc but again I see there are some in this forum that never do for there own security reasons I suppose.

But its a good point re the GPS fixes. I will monitor it for a while and if none are offered for the next few weeks then I will delete HOME I think. I certainly wont ever rely on it for backups again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't receiving GPSQuickFixes any more, there's usually a simple "fix".

1. Using Windows Explorer browse the TT's own storage and find the folder called "ephem".
2. Delete any files inside that folder.

3. Next, on your PC's hard drive, go to the folder where Home stores it's downloads and find the folder called "ephemeris".
(usually that's C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris)
4. Inside that folder will be several folders called "QuickGPSfix", "QuickGPSfix-1", "QuickGPSfix-2" etc.
5. Delete ALL of those Quickfix folders.

Next time you connect to home, you should find the GPSQuickFix download is working again.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: 720 Wont Boot Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, did that and it worked !.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: