Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice please - Go825 suitable replacement for Go700?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice please - Go825 suitable replacement for Go700?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emp2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Advice please - Go825 suitable replacement for Go700? Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace my aging TTGo700 - it has served me extremely well for the past 5 years.

I need a replacement and I'm considering the Go LIVE 825. Things I'd like to be sure about before I buy are:
1) Does it accept 3rd party (PGPSW speed cam alerts) I read some while ago there was a problem with the newer models - is that all sorted now?
2) Does the mount allow you to take the device off the windscreen and leave part of it behind (like my 700) or does the whole thing come away - is that easy to do?
3) This model has an SD card slot - not enabled currently - what will this be used for?

TIA for any assistance.

emp
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice please - Go825 suitable replacement for Go700? Reply with quote

emp2 wrote:

1) Does it accept 3rd party (PGPSW speed cam alerts) I read some while ago there was a problem with the newer models - is that all sorted now?

Yes that's all sorted. You can add the speed camera database and have spoken warnings for the camera alerts, just like on old models.
Adding the files now has to be done via the new "MyTomTom" utility prog./interface, because none of the new models allow you to access the storage memory directly. MyTT can be a bit more fiddly than the old copy-paste method, but it's still perfectly possible.

emp2 wrote:
2) Does the mount allow you to take the device off the windscreen and leave part of it behind (like my 700) or does the whole thing come away - is that easy to do?

No, it doesn't come off the mount like the Go700 did.
The whole mount is permanently attached to the back of the device.
A quick look at the 820 series product page on the TT website will show you how it looks (There's an animation at the top of that page where it spins round and flips upside down).
Some people like the new mount because you can take the whole thing with you easier, but I find it quite awkward to fix to the windscreen, because you have to reach round behind the unit to turn the locking ring on the sucker mount.

emp2 wrote:
3) This model has an SD card slot - not enabled currently - what will this be used for?

It will be used to supplement the internal memory storage, mainly for adding additional maps (or for larger versions of the same map which may be produced in the future).

The internal memory is limited in size... 4GB for the model with full Europe maps and 2GB for the single region model (which doesn't seem to be on sale in the UK at the moment).
So if you wanted to add a US map for example, at the moment you would need to temporarily remove the Europe map to make room.
Once the SD card slot is working (hopefully very soon!) you'll be able to put the US map on an SD card instead. The device then treats both the internal memory and the SD card as one large chunk of memory.
emp2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Andy - most helpful. I had a feeling the mount stayed attached to the device which, as you say, sounds as though it will make it a bit awkward to use. Still I guess that's progress.

John, I most certainly do use the itinerary function - almost every journey! I don't really use the waypoint function though, but I do add in several destinations before I travel - are you saying that the 825 can only take 4 'destinations' or specifically 4 'waypoints'. If it's the former, it's a show stopper, if it's the latter, I can live with that.

Cheers

emp
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a show stopper I'm afraid...

NONE of the new models (Go1000/1005, Go825, VIA range, START20/25) can handle itineraries, only the 4 waypoints (now reduced further, to 3).
You cannot create, save OR load itineraries/routes created elsewhere, even from TomTom's own route planner website. Mad, isn't it?

I think the model you want to look at is the GO x50 range.
That has a very good "proper" mount, which fixes well to the windscreen and allows you to remove just the unit with a simple button push.
It also has full Itinerary Planning with load and save.

Unfortunately none of them has the mp3 player that used to be on all models (eg the Go x20 and x30 ranges) but which started to be removed in the x40 models (it was only available on the Go940 not the 540 or 740)

The quick way to remember all those model numbers is that the first number "x" denotes the maps available:
5 - UK and Ireland only
7 - All Europe
9 - Europe and US
emp2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your advice - I really appreciate it. It now means it’ll be a Go750 Live for me then. I need the EU map coverage but I don't need the MP3, my car has a USB input so that's sorted.

All the best,

emp
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that TT have a very restricted internal memory on the 750 (on everything these days!), so you will be well advised to buy an additional card to hold the map updates, otherwise you'll get zoned downloads which will be a pain to swap mid-trip if you're crossing the wrong borders. 8GB will be MORE than enough.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
emp2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

Thanks that's noted, an 8GB card will be next on Santa's list Very Happy

emp

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: