Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Submissions - a plea for accuracy!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Submissions - a plea for accuracy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Camera Submissions - a plea for accuracy! Reply with quote

I've just returned from a very hot and sticky trip to the M25 "car park" between J16 and J19/20 and back, specifically to verify some new speed camera submissions.

While I was there, I spotted 2 new Specs cameras, but REJECTED 10 submissions from others. 9 of them were supposed to be Specs cameras, and one was for a set of variable speed Gatsos in an overhead gantry.

Not one of them existed!

Specs installations DO move about quite a lot, but in this case ALL of the actual cameras were still in the positions found in the published PGPWS database, just a few hundred yards away from the new reports, so I don't think new ones can have appeared and then disappeared again before anyone else saw them!

Quite a few reported locations were close to "average speed zone" signs on the roadside or one of the many CCTV cameras covering the entire area.

We love your submissions, keep 'em coming, but please don't just submit stuff vaguely, we need accurate positions to verify. Also, please check your normal database is up to date before sending in new reports.

Thanks Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and this isn't just Andy having a moan! we do seem to be getting more and more submissions for cameras that are already in the database - even some that are years old!

the main reason for having the cameras on the submission map is so users can see what we already have in the database. if it is already there PLEASE do not resubmit it - unless something needs changing.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump! Sad

I just wasted a couple of quid's worth of petrol sitting in blistering heat to go and look at a "Gatso" that was so obviously a CCTV camera on a high pole. there was no way it could ever be a speed camera.

If you're unsure what to report, please check the guideline pictures in our camera-type guide.

We've also had another spate of re-reports of variable speed cameras on motorway gantries, all of which are already shown on the submission map to be DUMMY cameras.
Please check for those on the map here before you fire off a report for a new sighting.

Thanks!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

We've also had another spate of re-reports of variable speed cameras on motorway gantries, all of which are already shown on the submission map to be DUMMY cameras.
Please check for those on the map here before you fire off a report for a new sighting.

Is it possible that many of these are submitted via CamerAlert and there is no easy way of checking the map when submitting from the mobile phone? (I'm not a regular user of CamerAlert, so forgive me if I've got this wrong!!)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how CamerAlert works.... (I was going to ask that!)

Is there only an "instant" report button? Or can you save the details, so you can review and refine them later at your leisure, before sending them off? (Hope so!)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Is it possible that many of these are submitted via CamerAlert and there is no easy way of checking the map when submitting from the mobile phone? (I'm not a regular user of CamerAlert, so forgive me if I've got this wrong!!)
I thought that's what the database admin was paid for Twisted Evil Twisted EvilStop!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just offered a prize-winning suggestion to add Dummies into the database to save this problem. Asking people to delay submitting until they get home will surely draw the question about how do they get "first" submission to qualify for lifership.

Edit - PS Is that one on the A40, Andy?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Daggers wrote:
I thought that's what the database admin was paid for Twisted Evil Twisted EvilStop!

Ah, but, some of those near the Dummies are for our local verifier to check. We had one recently where one of the Dummies has actually been activated. Only one though. He hadn't had chance yet to check the other submissions.

So every-so-often one of the (many) submissions gets through to be checked just as a 'reminder' for the verifier to keep a check on the area.

On average there are about 30 submissions of the dummy cameras each week that are instantly dismissed.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
On average there are about 30 submissions of the dummy cameras each week that are instantly dismissed.

MaFt

And potentially 30 submitters feeling grumpy? (I presume they don't get a special email telling them their submission is for a known dummy?).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Edit - PS Is that one on the A40, Andy?

The CCTV camera? No, it's on Cricklewood Broadway ("pGatso:94050")
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
....Is there only an "instant" report button? Or can you save the details, so you can review and refine them later at your leisure, before sending them off? (Hope so!)

On the Android version, I assume on the Apple version also, there is the option to "Allow Transmission - Attempt to transmit the submission straight away".

After several faulty verifications and submissions of my own I have now turned this option OFF as it submitted the camera sighting before I had time to review and correct any errors/omissions.

There is also an option to record a voice message, which although I haven't used yet, I shall endeavour to. If it can be used as avoice memo to myself (i.e. 30mph, police car, mobile, just after bus stop approx 25 metres back, other side of road, etc.) I'm sure it shall lead to more accurate submissions/verifications rather than trying to get my passenger to push the correct submission buttons following a sighting whilst I am driving.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering whether we have been the victim of our own success with Cameralert?
@MaFt. I was only trolling. Not serious Sad DNFTT

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: