Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One XL - Notifications in SPECs zones?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One XL - Notifications in SPECs zones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elementour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Tom Tom One XL - Notifications in SPECs zones? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just got a tom tom one xl and have added the pocketgps camera database however it is an old database from 2010 that i copied from my old satnav. what I have noticed that on the new tom tom when you are in a specs average speed area it doesnt display an alert to notify you of this which im pretty sure my old tom tom with the same camera database used to do. anyone know what im missing?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding the files doesn't activate the warnings, you need to go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI and configure each of the speed camera POI's so that you get a warning as you approach each camera - Mike
elementour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply but yes I am aware of how to activate warnings however that is not exactly what I was getting at. I do get warned of an approaching specs camera however once you have been alerted there is nothing displayed on the screen to alert you to the fact that you are still in an average speed area.

I'm sure that on my previous tom tom there used to be a warning on the screen untill you had passed through the average speed area. I was only asking here as I am unable if this was a tom tom feature or was a pocket gps thing.

cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom won't continue to warn you throughout a SPECS zone it will only warn on the approach to specific cameras - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not strictly true.....
TomTom's OWN warnings for cameras *do* continue to alert you throughout the zone if... (and only if...) you exceed the reduced speed limit. So I think you must have been using those as well?

This would be a brilliant feature, if only the SPECs zones that TomTom had in it's database were even remotely correct or up to date!

But at the moment, it continually bleeps at you to say you are doing 70 in a 50 mph SPECs zone in places where the roadworks or whatever, finished weeks or even months ago.

Unfortunately, TomTom don't open up the functionality to allow third-party databases like the one from here to use these "through the zone" alerts, so the device can only provide the basic "approaching a camera" type of alerts when used with other databases such as PGPSW's.

If you want to have alerts throughout the SPECs zones (however inaccurate), you'll need to switch the TomTom ones back on again just for average speed cameras (and keep them updated too!)

(For info I've expanded the topic title and moved the topic to the Speed Camera Database section, as that seems a better place for it)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: