Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Satnav will allow input of designated route?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Satnav will allow input of designated route?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teflonmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Which Satnav will allow input of designated route? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Looking for advice which I can't find anywhere else..

I'm a European coach driver and have to follow a designated route, although the routes printed it would be a lot easier/safer for me to input the route into a satnav and just follow that, but it seems that not all satnavs allow you to do that.

Halfords advised tomtom via but that only seems to accept one or two via instructions and in an itenary there can be as many as 20 or 30.

Is there any satnav which has that ability? preferably with speed cameras lane guidance ect..

Cheers
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a garmin 1490, and that will do all you want, as will any of the 14xx series.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Satnav will allow input of designated route? Reply with quote

teflonmike wrote:

Halfords advised tomtom via but that only seems to accept one or two via instructions and in an itenary there can be as many as 20 or 30.

You're misinformed there.....

Any TomTom that runs v8 or 9 software(i.e. anything except the Go1000, Go1005, Via or Start 25) can handle itineraries of up to 48 waypoints or destinations. These can be set up on the satnav itself or created in Google maps etc. (or dedicated add-on programs like "Tyre" and then loaded as a file onto the satnav.

The new models that run v10 software cannot handle itinerary planning yet, but it has been promised for the first half of this year (it's overdue).
teflonmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I have a garmin 1490, and that will do all you want, as will any of the 14xx series.

Thanx for that will have a look at them..
teflonmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Satnav will allow input of designated route? Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
teflonmike wrote:

You're misinformed there.....

Any TomTom that runs v8 or 9 software(i.e. anything except the Go1000, Go1005, Via or Start 25) can handle itineraries of up to 48 waypoints or destinations. These can be set up on the satnav itself or created in Google maps etc. (or dedicated add-on programs like "Tyre" and then loaded as a file onto the satnav.

The new models that run v10 software cannot handle itinerary planning yet, but it has been promised for the first half of this year (it's overdue).

Interesting... Just looking at tomtom live xl iq routes, not sure what software that has and am not that tech savvy so it has to work without having to d/l from google or addons.. All I really want it to do is travel the route as on my printout.. eg.. M53 to Jnct XX M56 to Jnc XX M6 to Jnct XX so on and so forth...

Will the above mentioned do that?

Cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Can it import itineraries created on the PC or from another nuvi?
I know older nuvi models couldn't.....

I tried downloading the 1490 manual, but by God... and I thought TomTom manuals were bad!

It's here but seems to be a generic manual coreing about 5 different model ranges.

The only mention of Itineraries at all in the index was on page 6 when it was talking about pedestrian mode.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin will, and accept many more than 48 waypoints ...
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
sussamb wrote:

Can it import itineraries created on the PC or from another nuvi?
I know older nuvi models couldn't.....

I tried downloading the 1490 manual, but by God... and I thought TomTom manuals were bad!

It's here but seems to be a generic manual coreing about 5 different model ranges.

The only mention of Itineraries at all in the index was on page 6 when it was talking about pedestrian mode.

The 14xx series will happily accept routes created on PC etc, see page 13 Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Satnav will allow input of designated route? Reply with quote

teflonmike wrote:

Interesting... Just looking at tomtom live xl iq routes,

Ah, you've caught me out there!
I was a little too hasty in my first reply... the "XL IQroutes Edition" (Europe or Regional) is fine... it does itinerary planning. But then TomTom brought out a cheaper, cut-down model and confusingly called it the ""XL IQroutes Edition" with a tiny "2" after the name. As far as I know, that one doesn't have itinerary planning, unless it's been implemented in a later software update.

teflonmike wrote:
All I really want it to do is travel the route as on my printout.. eg.. M53 to Jnct XX M56 to Jnc XX M6 to Jnct XX so on and so forth...
Will the above mentioned do that?

Yes they both will, but I suspect that BOTH of them might need the "Motorway junction numbers" "points of interest" files available for free from this site as most satnavs tend to ask for place names or road names rather then junction numbers as destinations.

With those little addon place files it would be fine.

(As you might guess, my geography skills aren't great! Don't try that itinerary at home, I was just putting junction numbers in at random!
(But I did give you a stop at some services for a cuppa Smile )
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Satnav will allow input of designated route? Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Don't try that itinerary at home, I was just putting junction numbers in at random!

Actually, by sheer chance it wasn't too bad!

Anyway... it looks like you'll be happy with either Garmin ot TomTom. Both have their ardent fans here, so the important thing is to try to get your hands on both brands in a shop that will let you play with them, and see which looks and feels nicer to you.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa...
I promise, TOTAL coincidence... but look what's just been posted in the Garmin forum...

Quote:
Garmin 1490t

Hi

I have the above sat/nav and was impressed initially but after 10 days its turning in to a nightmare. Problems I am having is the screen freezes forcing me to reboot - switching itself off - bluetooth is nowhere near the same as using an earpiece as the other party can hardly hear me and the traffic is way off not once being correct and routing me around for no reason. Now I did think that this would be better than my old street pilot but it looks like I might have a dud one. I have the latest firmware but I am seriously intending sending this back. I have had a look at the 5 inch 2440 which does not have bluetooth or traffic. Should I swap the 1490 for the 2440 or get a replacement 1490.

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen it and replied Smile

He's either got a duff one or needs to do a hard reset after upgrading his software, mine works perfectly Very Happy
teflonmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys I'll nip down to me local halfords again and try both (paying no attention to the spotty youth Laughing Out Loud)

I'm tempted with tomtom tbh as I'm familiar with it from older ones.. We'll see.. seems tho' each has its own advantages/disadvantages.. so I'm keeping an open mind..

Again thanks for the advice and the speedy replies..
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teflonmike, be careful with waypoints on a TomTom. I'm not sure if the new models are different but the older ones didn't necessarily take you to a waypoint if they were a long way off route. i.e. Maidstone to Canterbury via London = no chance. Ridiculous example I know but hopefully you can test the tomtom out for such behavior in the shop before you buy.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copilot truck on pda or iphone would be the best bet here as you custom a route online or on the device takes about 100 waypoints on a multistop route if your using live link this can be uploaded via copilot central on pc or via the copilot tracking website you can turn the live services off if your abroad and access via wifi at the hotel

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: