Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom1005 Live vs. Navigon70 Premium Live. Which is better?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom1005 Live vs. Navigon70 Premium Live. Which is better?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Didimos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: TomTom1005 Live vs. Navigon70 Premium Live. Which is better? Reply with quote

Hi guys. I'm planning to get a GPS device, so after a lot of research in the net I'm finally between TomTom1005 Live and Navigon 70 Premium Live. Both seem to be top devices and they share the same price as well. Despite the fact that both are available in the market for more than a year now, surprisingly, I haven't yet found any review comparing the two devices. I would appreciate if anyone could give me some tips.
Cheers
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big question for me would be "what does LIVE" really mean? Where is the data from? And how much does that matter to you?

TomTom are the only ones with really good accurate up to the two-minutes traffic data. The other is probably (hence my first question) the old sources. They are "okay", but not really good for planning re-routing. The problem in the past (before I used the TT LIVE Traffic) was that it would appear okay, but take hours to disappear. So you'd see it on the system, and whizz through the "delay" that had gone hours ago. It was not dependable. And you didn't know how long the delay was either - was it 2 mins, or 2 hours? TomTom tells you really, and you can see it grow or shrink as you approach.

If you are after Live Traffic, then for me, the TomTom is the clear winner. Other features of the device then come down to a particular model.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom1005 Live vs. Navigon70 Premium Live. Which is bet Reply with quote

Didimos wrote:
Hi guys. I'm planning to get a GPS device, so after a lot of research in the net I'm finally between TomTom1005 Live and Navigon 70 Premium Live. Both seem to be top devices and they share the same price as well. Despite the fact that both are available in the market for more than a year now, surprisingly, I haven't yet found any review comparing the two devices. I would appreciate if anyone could give me some tips.
Cheers

The TomTom 1000 was released around mid-September / early October 2010 (only 6 months ago) and the 1005 was a bit later still. Review of the 1000 and it's shortcomings here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/TomTom-GO-LIVE-1000-Reviewed-83794.php

I THINK the 1005 is the same as the 1000 but with USA maps too although I may stand to be corrected.

We've not had a Navigon 70 for review - unfortunately we cannot simply buy every single device and have to rely on companies sending them out to us. We have reviewed the Navigon 40 though which could give you an idea of ease of use / features? Although the traffic on the 40 Easy is via FM TMC but I presume the 70 Live uses mobile data?

Review of 40 Easy here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/Navigon-40-easy-reviewed-55603.php

MaFt
Didimos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both matthewj and MaFt Smile .
Live service is indeed important for me, so it seems that TomTom is superior on that. On the other hand, it's impressive how many extras the Navigon 70 Premium Live provides -clever parking live(!)for instance-, but the question is do they really work? I have read plenty of posts from people who got the 70 live and I am disappointed by what they have experienced. Confused . I guess I have to wait a bit more for a good review.

Please keep the topic updated Wink

Cheers
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, not many people have both! I couldn't compare with TT for this reason.

If you are really trying to take a (possibly expensive) decision I would suggest you try out both in somewhere like Halfords. I find the Live services good, but as I say, I don't know if TT is better or worse. I would caution on Clever Parking, I'm not sure that's available in the UK at the moment (but haven't checked recently).

But I guess there are other features you consider important as well. Routing is one to me - I DO find Navigon very good on this, much better than my experience with Garmin, and I have heard complaints about TT as well (railway lines, etc!). Giving you 3 choices of route is VERY helpful too. And don't forget customer service and product development - Navigon have their faults but they DO try (and often succeed eventually) to (a) resolve problems; (b) develop new software and hardware products continually; (c) protect user investment by 'back-implementing' new developments onto previous models. I leave you to read here what even TT people's views are on TT's current customer attitude Shocked Embarassed !

But there are lots of other features which would guide your choice of where to spend your £00s - have a look at the respective user manuals, which is available from the Navigon site, and should be from TT as well.

Also have a look through the TT & Navigon threads if you can bear the tedium, to get some users' views (One slightly dissatisfied Navigon user there DOES have a TT as well, IIRC).

Finally, for the moment, here is a translated user review from a German forum (apologies to the moderators for the length, but I can't find the original's URL Sad
Quote:

Pocketnavigation forum – User Review of 70 Live

Very good, with very small smears

After I'm gone now, several hundred kilometers with the Navigon Premium 70 LIVE, here comes a short summary of me - each with a comparison to the TomTom 940 Live and the Navigon Mobile Navigator 1.7 for the iPhone.

Accessories: Note 1 -

Everything here, what is needed. Sorry, no bag, no home charger (but it works every charger that has a mini-USB connector, I use the the Navigon 8310, which was still in my inventory) or a printed manual. But as the first act takes place before a full backup and an update to the new version, so it makes sense to download the latest manual from the Garmin-server. [Bag and charger are also missing in the TomTom 940 Live.]

Cards: Note 1

Comprehensive maps of Navteq, with Latest Maps Guarantee's was then the latest maps from the quarter 04/2010. Voucher allows the purchase of discounted tickets quarterly updates about 20 EUR for 2 years. For my needs the Navteq maps are better by miles, but are also very dependent on the traffic region. [The TeleAtlas maps in TomTom have comparable quality, sometimes of a card supplier in a region is better, sometimes another. TomTom map updates are at much more expensive. - When the iPhone map updates are not so regular, so far, but always free of charge].

Hardware: Grade 2

In comparison to Navigon 8310/84x0 not so good, but totally OK with a level TomTom. The first device had a hardware problem (memory was on multiple machines with the update not recognized), the second is now running without any problems.

Display: rating 1-2

Bright, clear, identifiable good. 5-inch display offers plenty of visibility and sufficiently large button surface. LCDs sometimes react when touched by Darken [also on my TomTom!]. The best display is the nature of the iPhone, but it is also much, much smaller.

Performance: Grade 1

Finally, finally, it has managed Navigon to speed up the GPS reception. He is not only faster but also very stable and accurate, even among tall buildings or when the tunnel passage. turned on in the garage, there is usually at the entrance leaving contact with the satellite. However, I've been waiting for even the first Satfix the recommended 20 minutes. [Is similar to TomTom's fast and MN 1.7 on the iPhone in connection with the TomTomCarKit, but have lost many a time the satellite contact. The most stable connection for me right now, the Navigon Premium LIVE 70.]

Route calculation and recalculation when leaving the track in seconds, not caring if it is "MyRoutes" on or.

Keystrokes to be implemented immediately, only a few, very rare cases, you type faster than the device can work (if loaded in the background are the possible outcomes, such as entering a location). You get used to typing in the correct frequency. [TomTom IQ Routes takes account of the considerably longer to calculate - whether first or recalculation. Keyboard input is similarly good. When you type iPhone, unlike the other two with the finger and not with the finger nail, because it is built into the iPhone, a capacitive glass screen. Calculations done just as fast.]

The live system will quickly establish contact to the server, as yet, no loss. Messages are then (depending on the available quantity) within a short time (usually it takes 30 to 60 seconds, comparable with TomTom HD Traffic). My conclusion about the live systems from Garmin and TomTom: When you get in TomTom the impression that really all traffic flows are mapped to the major roads, Navigon seems to have chosen the path to display only the relevant traffic data. It can happen that an intra-city with TomTom, the queue is displayed at a traffic light that I can not avoid anyway, while this does not appear at Navigon. In real traffic jams because of a disability but they both react in quite similar form - Garmin also in urban areas (even if this is the Garmin system is often discussed, I have myself seen in the Düsseldorf city area away from the highway several times). It is a matter of taste what you like better. On the highways and expressways and country roads I can not tell the difference.

Routing: Note 1

Very good routes logical and understandable. "MyRoutes learns the driving style of the driver know and calculated according to the identified data corresponding routes and proposes the most suitable route to driving style. It is not like IQ Routes TomTom, where each section are associated with historic speed data and thus better routes to be determined. For me, the TomTom routes have been much much more nonsensical than the Navigon routes, because neither the shortest nor the fastest way was taken, but a dizzying route that devoured more miles and more time. That may be but related to my personal goals. In my case, the Navigon routes fit better.

Navigation: Note 1

Through the presentation of the excellent display in navigation mode is top notch. Due to the size of 5 inches is all very readable, comparable in quality to the iPhone. The presentation is largely individualized (eg, selection of points of interest on the map even by brand!). The proximity assistant (not iPhone) appears not necessarily required controls while driving. I was with me (as opposed to other forums participants) find no interference with normal movements in the car, also a running window wiper does not interfere with the system.

A special quality of the graphic representation in cities with city view (not iPhone), showing the outlines of the houses like in reality, the orientation is thus very easy. You have to first get used a little of the unusual point of view, then one may miss it any longer, particularly since in crossing regions of the 3-D representation of a 2-D view from above. What could be simpler.

Another treat is the new active lane guidance (including the iPhone), which runs along the bottom right corner when traces need to be changed. can classify false one is no longer with it!

[The TomTom graphics, however, is still the day before yesterday. Even in the latest generation of go-100x devices it has not really improved. It is limited to the bare essentials and allows no forward-looking driving style, because the zoom is too much on short range. If that is like and who on the navigation screen just like to see what he can see the look on the road, the TomTom is the graphics certainly prefer.]

Speech: Note 1

There are new voices in TomTom. Anna and Wolfgang are text-to-speech voices that I like really well, with Wolfgang sounds a bit better. When navigating, the voice guidance Navigon (on both platforms, the iPhone's only Anna) is still unmatched, comprehensive and focused exclusively on the needs of driving. TomTom has indeed rectified, but still does not reach that level.

Use: Grade 1 -

The menu structure is made continues to be very good. In addition to the main commands, there are always context-sensitive options, which allow a quick results. [The TomTom structure in Version 9 seems to me there in front of complex. Version 10 I can not judge.]

Entry and search of targets is resolved very well. The keyboard appears not possible characters in the input. At each location, the command can show a hit list. It will automatically appear, if only a few results are possible. Due to the tab structure at the entry (country, city / postal code, street, house number, street) can be corrected very quickly. [TomTom's solution in Version 9 offers not so much comfort. Not bothering with a hide no longer possible letters, one must want to correct you, you have to start over with the destination entry.]

POIs: Note 1

The Google search on the live package you also find the POIs that are not supplied by the card supplier. While there is at this point tie between Garmin and TomTom, Navigon scores with additional sightseeing routes and event recommendations.

Conclusion: The best navigation system with which I am so far down. Here the price-performance ratio.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

I THINK the 1005 is the same as the 1000 but with USA maps too although I may stand to be corrected.
Nope.. the 1005 is exactly the same as the 1000 but with a 5" screen instead of the 4.3" one on the 1000.

Interestingly, so far NONE of the new TomToms is able to have two maps installed at the same time.

Didimos wrote:
clever parking live

I'm not sure what "clever parking" is (in his post, BigPerk gives it capital letters so it looks like it's a trade name?), but I do know that the Go1005 hsas an option to tell you if there are car parks nearby, as you get close to your destination

BigPerk wrote:

Quote:
Very good, with very small smears

Euwh! Shocked
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Interestingly, so far NONE of the new TomToms is able to have two maps installed at the same time.

What about the 1050 World?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Navigon 40 Premium and an TomTom 1000

While the Navigon is great on paper (and to be honest, quite nice in use), for me in day to day use, the TomTom wins hands down

Like everyone knows and accepts, TomTom HD Traffic is their killer feature - no other system compares. Yet.

It also has a far superior mount, slicker and quicker screen, faster route and re-route calculations, a better screen and interface

Where a Navigon comes in to its own is bang for buck - buy the lower models (ie. 40 Premium) when on offer in somewhere like Halfords for around £120 and you get a good package for a great price - if Live Traffic isn't important

If you use your sat nav mainly for one trip (ie longer journeys) a few times a week it will prove great

If like me you are hopping in the car for an hour or so drive here, then another there, several times a day the TomTom is so much quicker and slicker, generally easier in use that it wins for me

Routing is excellent on the TomTom, and it is easy to compare routes and chose / look at alternatives with the system - but the Navigon has similar routing choices, and the 3 route choice system IS better

Hope this helps
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I'm not sure what "clever parking" is (in his post, BigPerk gives it capital letters so it looks like it's a trade name?), but I do know that the Go1005 hsas an option to tell you if there are car parks nearby, as you get close to your destination

From the Navigon website (Navigon 70 Premium Live):

"Clever Parking Live* not only assists you in finding a parking space, but also even shows you the number of available parking spaces nearby and in car parks in real time. You will also get information on opening hours and prices.

* Included for the first 15 months, available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg"

So not available in the UK.
Didimos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very interesting xtraseller Smile Your comments are of great value since you have been using both devices. So, basically the 40 ( I guess the 70 as well Question ) is more fancy and sophisticated but the 1000 is more operative, more functional. Hmmm, I am still in a big dilemma, also considering the negative reviews of the 1000 on PGPSW http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/TomTom-GO-LIVE-1000-Reviewed-83794.php giving 6.5 /10 compared to 8/10 for the 40 EU http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/Navigon-40-easy-reviewed-55603.php.
What about the POIs? Any difference?
Many thanks guys

(Edited to make links clickable - AP)
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didimos - if you mean user-input POIs, they are currently a problem on new TTs (I think this includes the 1005) in that they cannot readily be added. TT say they are addressing this - there is an extensive thread that should give you a fairly full picture.

The 70 Live can hold 10,000 user POIs, which are easy to load, but if you want all the PGPSW cameras, for example, this limitis not enough. There is a 'fix' which increases this, but it's a bit of an 'at your own risk' hack. Again, you will find some info on this in the Navigon threads (there is one specifically about POIs).

The 40 Premium which xtraseller has, does not have Live Traffic (is that right xtraseller?), so I don't think there is at the moment, an exact comparison between TT HD/Live and Navigon Live. I'm not sure that 40Premium v 1005 is necessarily quite the same as 70Live v 1005, as you are not comparing 'premium' with 'premium', but it is one of the few helpful comparisons around (it was xtraseller I was referring to in my last post).

These are always difficult (and largely subjective) choices, though there are far more TT and Garmin supporters here than Navigon ones. In a sense TT might be like IBM ("no one ever got fired for choosing IBM ...").

What I would advise is NOT going by any trade reviews you might find - they are nearly always a total waste of time and space. I think the best you can get is by taking the time to dredge through the threads on here, and possibly other forums like GPSPassion and pocketnavigation.de (with the dubious help of Google Translate). You could also let us know if there are any other major requirements you have which could be compared (someone did that a few months back).

And we'll all be happy to help with more queries - but in the end it's your money and 'you must decide'! Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Is that available yet? It's certainly not on the UK TomTom website.

This page on their support site also says:
Quote:
Map updates
To ensure you always drive with the latest map, we offer our Map Update Service.
Updated: Visit www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/mapupdateservice to purchase the Map Update Service for the map on your navigation device.
Other map updates cannot be purchased yet.

The Map Update Service is currently only available in the UK map shop.

and:

New maps
Maps other than the one available on your device cannot be purchased at this point in time.

(my underlining)

-------------------------

BigPerk wrote:
Didimos - if you mean user-input POIs, they are currently a problem on new TTs (I think this includes the 1005) in that they cannot readily be added.

User-POIs CAN now be added to the Go1000/1005 and Via models (and the 2000 models in the US.

The interface is still pretty clanky and .ogg file audio warnings cannot be added yet, but I know further work and improvements are ongoing.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
JaguarV12e wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Is that available yet? It's certainly not on the UK TomTom website.

I have read of users in Australia and have personally seen the Go 1050 World available for sale in Dick Smith in Auckland New Zealand (about NZ$550 I think).

I would have been tempted to bring one home, but already have a 1005 Europe.

See the Tomtom NZ website . I don't know why they are not available in the UK.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at your first post, Didimos, makes me wonder if this is your first GPS?

If it IS, then I would be tempted to say (but TT-ers would need to confirm) that TomToms User Interface is quite intuitive - my cousin, who got her first TT (not a 1000 series) after she started collecting her pension, loves it.

The Navigon, while having some quite powerful and sophisticated facilities, has a menu structure which can be quite difficult to get familiar with, although practice and fair use gets you there eventually!

Also, TT has a facility I understand to exclude a specific road from route calculations (eg if you don't want to use the A1) - something similar can be done on the Navigon, but it is very tedious to do, and lasts only for the current route you are calculating. Something I wish I had!

On the other hand, Navigon maps can be a lot cheaper than TT's, with some of their 2-year quarterly update offers (and they DO release an update in each quarter).

If you are an experienced user though, you may not be quite so worried about UI comparisons, and may have wasted your time reading this . Embarassed !!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:

-.-
I have read of users in Australia and have personally seen the Go 1050 World available for sale in Dick Smith in Auckland New Zealand

-.-

See the Tomtom NZ website .

[/quote]Without having one in front of me, I'm only guessing, but I suspect that model still only has ONE map.
So the limitations of 'only one map per device' and 'no different map from the one supplied' could still hold true.

did you get to play with one? Did you notice if the maps had to be switched between continents?

Interesting development though.... it has 8GB of memory.... (but they still talk about having to use map zones!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: