Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New approach to speeding offences announced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New approach to speeding offences announced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: New approach to speeding offences announced Reply with quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385702/100-fines-idiot-drivers-After-years-speed-cameras-penalties-ordinary-motorists-ministers-switch-focus-aggressive-boy-racers.html

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But ‘boy racers’ who tailgate, undertake or cut up other motorists

Sorry, but from my experience the drivers who do these are, 90% of the time, older business men or BMW drivers.

I've not been cut up by a boy racer for a very long time.

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too impressed with the undertaking idea, they need to get the idiots that hog the middle lane on the motorway, I don't like having to go across three lanes to overtake some inconsiderate moron - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Not too impressed with the undertaking idea, they need to get the idiots that hog the middle lane on the motorway, I don't like having to go across three lanes to overtake some inconsiderate moron - Mike

I usually circle them but it needs a lot of space. Overtake in outside lane, move over to inside lane, slow down to go behind them again then overtake again. They usually get the hint!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I cannot see this new initiative having any impact on the use of speed cameras for speed enforcement.

So now, instead of a police officer having to consider if there is sufficient evidence to support a careless driving charge, he van instead issue a fixed penalty.

And as we already know, it's nigh on impossible to argue these, it's pay up and shut up. So much for innocent until proven guilty eh?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Not too impressed with the undertaking idea, they need to get the idiots that hog the middle lane on the motorway

Must admit to being a bit of a (very cautious!) undertaker myself sometimes. After all it can't be that inherently dangerous if it's allowed in other countries and some US states - it's just we have to be aware that the person daydreaming in the middle lane isn't expecting it.

Otherwise I do something similar to Matt (but only the once!)

Darren wrote:

So now, instead of a police officer having to consider if there is sufficient evidence to support a careless driving charge, he van instead issue a fixed penalty.

And as we already know, it's nigh on impossible to argue these, it's pay up and shut up. So much for innocent until proven guilty eh?

Blimey, Darren... You're sounding like me today! Shocked Laughing
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Highway Code states "In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right."

If you are in the inside lane and you see some idiot hogging the middle lane ahead of you, it is justifiable to me to undertake as long as you don't move from the inside lane.

However, I would rather the situation never arose. If the police prosecuted those drivers that hogged the outside lanes, the problem would be sorted.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More ConDem smoke and mirrors. We'll see £100 tickets flying everywhere.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikero wrote:

Highway Code states "In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right."

If you are in the inside lane and you see some idiot hogging the middle lane ahead of you, it is justifiable to me to undertake as long as you don't move from the inside lane.

Quite right ... but the key word is congested Wink
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think where undertaking is permitted abroad, it is in areas where it is illegal to change lanes.

What makes me nervous about using this maneauver is that because the lane-hoggers are usually unwary, they are very likely to suddenly decide to move into the left lane without checking or warning, if they suddenly do wake up or feel bullied by someone behind them - uncomfortable if you're alongside. (Many people seem quite unused to using their near-side mirror - in fact, I was once told by an officer that this fact makes surveillance quite easy!)

But some drivers are absolutely b-minded, not just stupid, and knowingly hog the outside lane happy to hold everyone up for as many miles as possible. I have to admit that in those extreme circumstances I do sometimes move right over to the inside lane, which is often less congested anyway, and then undertake AQAP, while there is an empty lane separating us. They don't usually spot me anyway.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was now the law you drive in the right hand lane no matter what Very Happy

Certainly seems to be the way some road users think they should behave

How many vehicle do you see enter a motorway and immediatly go to the outside lane no matter what the traffic is like and equally when the want to exit they go from the right lane across the chevrons into the slip road.

If these drivers are targeted I for one would be very happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think where undertaking is permitted abroad, it is in areas where it is illegal to change lanes.

That might be true in some countries but having lived in the US for a couple of years you can normally overtake on either side and swap lanes at will, certainly helps the traffic flow more freely and I don't believe their accident rate on the interstates is any worse for it.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overtaking on both sides also allowed on Aussie roads as well I believe.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centre lane hoggers are a nightmare. I remember hearing one woman driver on the radio saying she deliberately sticks to the middle lane because the inside lane is worn out by lorries.

My preferred treatment of these hoggers would be a large, 40 ton twenty wheeler with a loud horn and a front full of lights. Pity I haven't got one.

However, there's very little likelihood of police action unless they deliberately adopt a policy of hunting for cash - you can't get the staff these days, or in other words, where's the policeman when you want one?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the sort of thing the Highways Agency Traffic Officers were invented for?
I know they have limited powers, but don't they have authority to stop cars and advise them of driving rules such as lane discipline?

Or if not, I'm sure if they just just cruised along behind or beside the lane hogger in one of their HA Landrovers, it would tend to wake them up!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: