Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with TomTom in Malta
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with TomTom in Malta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalcolmS60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Problems with TomTom in Malta Reply with quote

I have just returned from Malta where I took my TomTom beacuase we were hiring a car.
Please note, TomTom tells you to drive on the RIGHT when you program a route, BUT IN MALTA THEY DRIVE ON THE LEFT. This could obviously cause a problem if you were picking a car up at the airport, and had nothing to warn you that TomTom was wrong!

TomTom also shows going the wrong way round roundabouts, but does seem to tell you the correct turning to take, e.g. if you have to turn left at a roundabout, the picture shows that you have to go round the roundabout the wrong way (taking the third exit), but the instruction says take the first exit.

You should also be careful about the routes TomTom selects. Some of the routes involve tracks that a tank couldn't get down. Basically the island is so small, and fairly well signposted, you don't really need a SatNav.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to the TomTom section as nothing to do with the PGPSW speed camera database.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with TomTom in Malta Reply with quote

MalcolmS60 wrote:
Please note, TomTom tells you to drive on the RIGHT when you program a route, BUT IN MALTA THEY DRIVE ON THE LEFT.

Please can you say how it was telling you to drive on the right, as no TomTom I have ever had has done this.

What the TomTom CAN do is warn you if you are travelling in a country where they drive on the right (or on the left) - this is in Safety Preferences".
I have all my TomToms set up to warn me if I am in countries that drive on the right and if I set up a demo route in Malta it doesn't warn me to drive on the right.

MalcolmS60 wrote:

TomTom also shows going the wrong way round roundabouts
e.g. if you have to turn left at a roundabout, the picture shows that you have to go round the roundabout the wrong way (taking the third exit),

I'm afraid I am not seeing this either.
Here is a picture of a roundabout on a route through a roundabout in Valetta that I just programmed on a Go940 running latest (v865) maps:

Both the images and the spoken instructions are telling me to take the First exit in order to go left.

Here's another route from the centre of Valetta to a street in Mdina on the West of the island:

This time, both the images and the spoken instructions are telling me to take the third exit in order to go right.

So I must admit to being rather confused as to why you saw these problems.
(Also, I think if the TomTom was geting it this badly wrong for everyone, there would have been an outcry long before now!)

Can you say exactly what model you were using, and what software and what map versions it was running?

Also, try setting up an "advance planning" route in Malta and running a demo of the route (as I did) and see if you are still getting the same problems. Let us know how you get on.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always understood that in Malta they drive in the shade Joker .

When the Channel Islands were first added to the WE maps we were warned to drive on the right and to go the wrong way round the roundabouts, but it was corrected on the next application upgrade.

But my 720 warns to drive on the right in Malta, but the roundabouts and dual carriageways are correct for driving on the left.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
TT Go 720 with Navcore v351

You mean v8.351 ?

Calomax wrote:
But my 720 warns to drive on the right in Malta, but the roundabouts and dual carriageways are correct for driving on the left.

My old 720 has v715 Europe maps on it and it doesn't have Malta at all! So I cannot check to confirm that.

So.... It looks like we've proved that MalcolmS60's problems are very likely to be down to out of date map or software versions. Hopefully he'll be back with the details.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Calomax wrote:
TT Go 720 with Navcore v351

You mean v8.351 ?

Yes I do, thanks Andy I have amended my profile.

Admin Edit - Adjust quotes
MalcolmS60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Drive on the Right in Malta Reply with quote

Whilst not being a technowhiz, I do not think that any of the responses to my original posting have been accurate.
I have a relatively old (at least 3 years) Tom Tom One XL, but my Maps are up to date. The information displayed when I select "Show Version" is as follows:
Device ABCDE ABCDE; App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
32MB RAM (free 2.7MB); GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3026
Map: 'Europe_West' v860.3126
Language: English UK
I have tried various permutations to see what effect they have. If I select "Safety Options", then "Warn me which side of the road to drive", if I select "Countries that drive on the Left", it warns me if I prepare a route in the UK, but not if I prepare one for Malta. If I select "Countries that drive on the Right", it tells me to drive on the Right if I prepare a route in Malta.
This seems to me potentially dangerous, because if somebody picked up a car at the airport, they could drive out, looking the wrong way, and have an accident. Incidentally, I have checked, and it also tells me to drive on the Right in Gibraltar.

Device code removed - Mike Alder
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not display your device code in the posts above and I suggest you or a mod edit it out as it could be used for pirate versions of the software an dcould cause problems with your TT Services if anyone else tries to use it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Drive on the Right in Malta Reply with quote

MalcolmS60 wrote:
Whilst not being a technowhiz, I do not think that any of the responses to my original posting have been accurate.

So how do we explain the pictures I posted above, showing that the TomTom does send you the CORRECT way around roundabouts when you said it went the wrong way?

MalcolmS60 wrote:
If I select "Safety Options", then "Warn me which side of the road to drive", if I select "Countries that drive on the Left", it warns me if I prepare a route in the UK, but not if I prepare one for Malta. If I select "Countries that drive on the Right", it tells me to drive on the Right if I prepare a route in Malta.

And I can only assure you again that is NOT the case on any of my TomToms, with:
v840 Western and Central Europe
v855 Western and Central Europe
v865 Europe, or
v865 Western and Central Europe maps.

With the option set to "warn me in countries that drive on the left" I *do* get a warning to drive on the left if I set up a route in Malta, as you can see here:

TomTom XL with v840 W+C Europe maps:

Go 940 with v855 W+C Europe maps (or with v865 W+CE):

Go 950 with v865 Europe maps:

If it is correct on v840, v855 and v865 I'd be very surprised if they got it wrong on v860. The only other difference is that I am on a newer version of software on the XL, as mine is an XL IQ Live.

Maybe it was this badly wrong on your v8 software, but I'd be amazed if you were the only one to notice it and that TT wouldn't have bought out a new software or map version to correct it. Calomax above says that the roundabouts were correct but the warning was wrong on a Go720 but that it has since been corrected.

MalcolmS60 wrote:
I have a relatively old (at least 3 years) Tom Tom One XL, but my Maps are up to date. The information displayed when I select "Show Version" is as follows:
Map: 'Europe_West' v860.3126
Language: English UK

Actually, your maps are not quite up to date. v865 maps were released in February. But this should really make no difference.
I guess I could roll back to v860 maps from a backup, to check those but it really doesn't seem worth it on the evidence so far.

I'm not sure where we can go to from here, unless we can find someone else with your exact hardware and software combination to compare.

Otherwise, have you thought of ringing TomTom customer services on 08451 610009 in the morning and asking them this specific question?

"Does a ONE XL on v8.010 software and v860 mapping tell you to drive on the wrong side of the road in Malta, and if so, what are you going to give me to correct it?"
MalcolmS60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Updated Maps still say "Drive on the Right" Reply with quote

I hadn't previously had a chance to check, (when I went to Malta I did have the most up to date Map installed) but have now downloaded the most recent Map, V865.3259, and this still tells me to drive on the Right.

This does not bother me, since I know that they drive on the left, I just felt it was worth passing on a warning to others who might be caught out by it.

What I have noticed is that if I now run a route in Demo Mode, it shows driving on the correct side of dual-carriageways, and also shows, and tells me, to take the correct way round roundabouts, i.e. turning to the left and taking the first exit if turning Left.

This would however not help anybody picking up a car at the Airport and driving out into a Main Road, posibly looking Left for approaching traffic.

I will take this up with Tom Tom, but obviously, this does not bring it to the attention of potential visitors to Malta.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you say, it looks like a specific issue with your version of software, so anyone going to Malta with a different TT model will be OK.
Flack
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Malta TomTom 740 live Reply with quote

I used my unit in Malta last year and it worked just fine never had the warning coming up and you need a satnav in some of the areas around Malta. But my 740 performed with out problems.

F Surprised lack
MalcolmS60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Problems with TomTom in malta Reply with quote

I am happy to hear that other people, with other TomTom Devices, are not experiencing the problem that I have, however TomTom accept that there is a problem with my particular setup, but are currently unable to resolve it. The response from their Support Team was as follows:

"Unfortunately I cannot offer an Immediate solution for the issue you are experiencing regarding your device misdirecting while driving in Malta and Gibraltar.
This appears to be an issue with the software on the device. At this moment in time it is under investigation and hopefully there will be a software update made available soon to resolve the issue."

Although some people are not experiencing this problem, I do know of others, with different devices to mine, but probably running the same software, who do have the same problem. As I have said previously, I just thought it worthwhile warning other people in case they experience the same problem WHEN THEY ACTUALLY GET TO MALTA.

If TomTom do get back to me with an answer, I will update this Topic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: