Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Queries re newly purchased TT 550 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Queries re newly purchased TT 550 Live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Queries re newly purchased TT 550 Live Reply with quote

I have today purchased a new Tomtom Go 550 Live. This is my first Tomtom satnav, as I've only previously had a Navman.

Following advice I've seen on this forum, the first thing I did after purchase was to connect the 550 to my PC and make a back-up (using Windows Explorer) onto my PC's harddrive.

I've then spent a pleasant hour or so adding my own list of "favourites" to the 550.

I've installed Tomtom HOME onto my PC. The version installed is 2.8.0.2146.

The current App on the 550 is 9.058, and the current map on the 550 is version 855. The HD traffic, Google and weather appear to be working OK on the 550, and the free 12 month live services has worked - it's showing it will expire on 12th Feb 2012.

I have not so far connected the 550 to Tomtom HOME.

Now for my queries...

I know I can take advantage of the latest map guarantee. Am I correct in thinking that a new map is out shortly (version 865, I think)? Presumably I should wait until this map is released before using my LMG?

Will updating the map overwrite the favourites that I've entered onto the 550?

Are there any other updates which HOME might offer to me, and should I install these updates?

I'm sure I've seen some mention on this forum of having to assign an e-mail address to my device. Does this crop up when I connect my 550 to HOME?

I see that the 550 can have a four digit password assigned to it by me while connected to HOME. Is this worthwhile doing? Likewise the address/contact details in the owner setup on the 550 itself - is this worthwhile using?

I appreciate I'm asking what will be very basic questions (and I'll probably have more) but as a newbie, be gentle with me :-)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Queries re newly purchased TT 550 Live Reply with quote

jonbaker12345 wrote:
I know I can take advantage of the latest map guarantee. Am I correct in thinking that a new map is out shortly (version 865, I think)? Presumably I should wait until this map is released before using my LMG?
The LMG is still 1 month as far as I know, so I would hang on a while.

jonbaker12345 wrote:
Will updating the map overwrite the favourites that I've entered onto the 550?
If you did the 'favourites' as Favourites, then yes the new map may overwrite it. If you did them as a POI, then no, they will remain intact. If you did them as Favourites, then now make another Explorer copy of the MapSettings.cfg File (found in the Current Map Folder). If it does then delete it we should be able to go through the steps of recovering the data.

jonbaker12345 wrote:
Are there any other updates which HOME might offer to me, and should I install these updates?
You might want to try Mapshare, but don't ask DennisN about it Exclamation Wink

jonbaker12345 wrote:
I'm sure I've seen some mention on this forum of having to assign an e-mail address to my device. Does this crop up when I connect my 550 to HOME?
Any email address will do (it doesn't even have to be a real one). It's used by TT to identify your Device to the TT Servers and your Account there.

jonbaker12345 wrote:
I see that the 550 can have a four digit password assigned to it by me while connected to HOME. Is this worthwhile doing? Likewise the address/contact details in the owner setup on the 550 itself - is this worthwhile using?
Very few people use the 4 digit PIN, as it is relatively easy to bypass. The problem with leaving your details on a Device that may fall into the wrong hands don't bear thinking about.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, don't ask my advice about Mapshare because I'll advise you not to do it (and I'm not alone - you could ask MikeAlder, who is a "clever person"). [Deleted whole bunch of reasoning against it - saves arguing with the people who'll disagree with me]

Another update you may be offered is QuickGPSfix, to improve your satellite connection. That's another I advise against, though not quite as vociferously as MapShare. There was a time when we suspected QuickGPSfix of doing naughty things to our devices so some of us stopped using it - I haven't consciously used it for close to three years now, although I think maybe the Live devices do it on the road behind my back! My non-Live devices have come to no harm for lack of it.

As for email address. Whilst any email-type formatted address will do, bear in mind it's the address which TomTom use to communicate with you (e.g. if you raise a support tag with them). If you're a "clever person" like Mike, that doesn't matter. If you're a dumbo like me, you need it to get the email from TomTom telling you about your next new map. You need different email addresses for every TomTom device you own - so you've only got one, but when you get your next one you'll have two and they need different addresses. That's why I get about 7 emails from TT every time they run a fire sale of ageing old maps!!

When you do go for LMG (should be any day now), make sure you get the correct one - TT have a sneaky habit of offering you the next in sequence to the one you've already got instead of the latest one. During the getting process, you can click on a More Info button to check the version number.

If you convert your Favourites right now to POI (called _Favourites - note that's an underscore to start the name and you could call it anything you like), when you get the new map, they will be automatically transferred to the new one, much more reliable than the process of using a backup copy of mapsettings.cfg. It is easier/quicker to select a Favourite to Navigate To, though, but not if the new map trashes them for you!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both very much for the information.

I'm pleased I asked about the Favourites, as it would have been annoying to lose them without any warning. I've taken your advice and converted them to POIs in a new category. As you say, it's not as convenient as the Favourites, but at least I won't lose them when the map gets updated.

I'll try logging on to HOME later this evening, but I'll be very wary about what updates it tries to thrust upon me. I've seen the various threads about Mapshare previously, so I have an idea of the pros and cons of it. I must admit the map corrections ability is very good to have, and it will be useful for amending some little local quirks with the map.

I'll no doubt have further questions, but I'm very pleased with the 550 so far. No great problems yet, and everything seems to be working as it should.

Thanks once again for your help.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While browsing through the various sub-menus of my 550, I went into "My Services" and noticed that I have QuickGPSFix valid until 12th Feb 2012. Is this the item that DennisN advised me about? It seems it was already on the 550.

As it has an expiry date is it part of the Live subscription?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so...
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuickGPSFix downloaded from the device on the move is part of the LIVE subscription and so has the same subscription expiry date of the other services.

It's free (for ever) if downloaded from the PC.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both for the info on QuickGPSFix.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the Halfords website has a TomTom 2 Year Map Update Service Card available for £29-90 (but it's only apparently valid for newly activated devices).

The Halfords website has some conflicting information about this update card. It specifically says it's not compatible with several devices, including my Go 550 Live and the GO Live 950, but then in a customer Q&A Halfords say it IS compatible with the GO Live 950!

Is £29-90 a reasonable price for the two years of updates (I presume 8 maps)?
And more importantly, does it work with the Go 550 Live?

Anyone any ideas about this?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_733081_langId_-1_categoryId_165587#dtab
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/services-cards/map-update-service-card-24-months-pre-paid/

Compatible

GO 550 LIVE - 12 months GO 750 GO 750 LIVE - 12 months
GO 940 LIVE GO 950 GO 950 LIVE - 12 months
Rider Pro Europe Rider Pro Europe Urban Rider Central Europe
Urban Rider Europe Urban Rider Regional Urban Rider Regional
XL IQ Routes™ edition Europe XL IQ Routes™ edition Regional XL IQ Routes™ edition² Europe
XL IQ Routes™ edition² Regional XL LIVE IQ Routes™ Europe - 12 months XL LIVE IQ Routes™ Regional - 12 months
XXL IQ Routes™ edition Europe XXL IQ Routes™ edition Europe Traffic
Blue&Me - TomTom for Alfa Romeo Blue&Me - TomTom GO 520
GO 530 GO 530 Refurbished GO 540 LIVE
GO 550 GO 550 LIVE Refurbished GO 550 refurbished
GO 630 GO 720 GO 730
GO 740 LIVE GO 750 LIVE Refurbished GO 750 Refurbished
GO 920 GO 940 LIVE GO 950 LIVE Refurbished
Mazda NVA-SD8110 EU Mazda NVA-SD8110 EU LIVE ONE IQ Routes™ edition Europe
ONE IQ Routes™ edition Regional Rider 2nd Edition Europe Rider 2nd Edition Regional
Start Europe - Black Start Europe - Black Start Europe - White
Start Europe - White Start Regional - Black Start Regional - Black
Start² Europe Black Start² Europe White Start² Regional Black
XL IQ Routes™ Edition² Central Europe Traffic XL IQ Routes™ Edition² Europe Traffic XL LIVE IQ Routes™ Europe Refurbished
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks technik!! I'd had a look on Tomtom, but didn't see that webpage. Clearly I didn't look far enough.

I think I'll pay a visit back to the Halfords website...
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 550 Live currently has map 855 and postcodes v855 installed. I see that there is a download of postcodes v860 available. Is it worthwhile installing postcodes v860, and will it work with my map 855?

I presume that postcodes v865 will follow shortly after map 865 is released. Should I just wait for the 865 updates?

Another little query...I've had a look in the ttgo.bif file on my 550 Live. The third line says that my device is a "Go 750 Live". Is this usual, or have TT made an error?
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbaker12345 wrote:
Another little query...I've had a look in the ttgo.bif file on my 550 Live. The third line says that my device is a "Go 750 Live". Is this usual, or have TT made an error?

It should say:
DeviceName=TomTom GO LIVE
DeviceVersionHW=GO 550 LIVE

Anyway the ttgo.bif is recreated every time the device is started. Data are not hold there. You can safely delete it and see what happens when is recreated.

Basically the 550 and 750 are exactly the same device bar the internal memory capacity (1GB and 2GB respectively)
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first three lines are...

[TomTomGo]
DeviceVersionHW=GO 750 LIVE

It says that on my original back-up file, and on a back-up made after a few days use. How do I check the size of the internal memory?
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonbaker12345 wrote:
The first three lines are...

[TomTomGo]
DeviceVersionHW=GO 750 LIVE

It says that on my original back-up file, and on a back-up made after a few days use. How do I check the size of the internal memory?

Connect it to your PC & check that drive.
Sounds like you may actually have a 750 with Euro mapping?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: