Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Before I put my feet in the water
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Before I put my feet in the water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Before I put my feet in the water Reply with quote

Hi
Only ever had a TT before and always their own speed camera data so never had to work my way through the complexities of the PocketGPS speed camera database and its installation. I now have the nuvi 3790 with SD card and want to install both the UK and the European databases and have chosen the Speed Zoned Complete for both.
Could someone confirm:
1 That I will have to put two separate folders through POILoader – one for the UK with feet and miles and one for Europe with metres and kilometres – to ensure I get the warnings at the right speeds
2 That I can download these two folders to the SD card rather than the device itself and they will work from there without my having to do anything other than activate the Proximity Alerts. When activating these while muting those of the Garmin/Cyclops, is it obvious which is which? And is the path - Tools: Navigation: Car: Proximity Points: Alerts - the right one?
3 That there is no particular reason to delete the Garmin/Cyclops files from the device as long as the alerts are muted?
4 That the downloaded files have the necessary warning sounds on them and that I do not have to download anything else from your site (like sox.exe) except if I want voiced prompts as well.
Regards
Max

Mod Edit: Download filenames removed. PaulB2005
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Instructions are here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57496

2. Yes. Custom POIs refer to the speed camera database.

3. No just disable the Cyclops database.

4. Yes. Without the voice prompts the unit falls back on the built in alerts.
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Both files went down easily one after another onto the SD card from POILoader after I changed the folder name for the first one to EUpoi.gpi so that the second would not delete/replace it. Haven't tried to see if they work yet.

On a different tack, does anyone have actual experience of using a TT lead to power a Garmin unit in the car. The 3790 lead is reminiscent of an overfed anaconda after eating a goat and when I don't need/want the traffic updates I quite fancy using a slim, flexible one in its place. I have tried using a Garmin USB lead between my computer and my old TT and whereas it didn't transfer data, it did supply power. I'm just not quite brave enough to try it the other way round with my brand-new baby! So if anyone else has experience..........
Max
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my TT Go530 car lead to power my Garmin Street Pilot and sometimes charge my camcorder and also an MP4 player. Never given it a thought.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you got the 3790T (the T bit meaning traffic receiver)? The RDS-TMC Traffic receiver is built in to the power lead on these units so if you use a normal 5V mini USB car addaptor to power the Garmin you won't get any traffic data.
I have my 3790T clipped to a Brodit Pro-Clip which is sat over one of the air vents, the rather large Garmin RDS-TMC/ power lead runs through the air vent and in to the void behind the dash before connecting to a hidden ciggy socket, this makes for a very neat installation with hardly any cables showing at all - Mike
maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest, when alerts on a speed camera database are disabled does that mean that none of the information on it is used, neither visually nor aurally?
Since I have both the original Garmin/Cyclops speed camera db and the PGPSW speed camera db on my nuvi with alerts disabled for the Garmin and allowed for the PGPSW, does that mean that only the PGPSW signs and signals show up with no imput from the Garmin?
Max
stuartb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.

You can always go into the Garmin\POI directory on your nuvi whilst it's connected to your PC and remove the Garmin Cyclops files. Just cut and paste to your PC and then put them back if you like later.

Stuart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: