Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using laptop to browse POIs on Garmin 1695
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using laptop to browse POIs on Garmin 1695
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Using laptop to browse POIs on Garmin 1695 Reply with quote

I would like to use my laptop to browse POIs on my 1965 sometimes just to see what's there and also to tidy up POIs that have been recently added.

How do I get the laptop to "see" the POIs.

Do I have to transfer the relevant POI file back to the laptop and then open it?

If so how do I do this?

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do it from the file directly. You can look at the CSV files in some programs like autoroute but once loaded to the device the only way is on the device.

It's possible you might be able to use mapsource if you have access to a copy but other than that I don't think you have much choice.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw what do you mean tidy up some POIs? You know each time you add more POIs all the previous ones are wiped off so only the latest files are loaded?
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

As you can perhaps gather I am very new to Garmins, I only got my 1695 last Thursday. So I am still thinking a la Tomtom.

I am aware that the basic file called poi is replaced each time the poiloader is used but I am also aware that this file can be renamed to avoid loss.

With my old Tomtom GO950 I used to add pois to a base category called current whilst on the sat nav. Later on, using my laptop, I would add any extra necessary info and then transfer the pois to a more permanent category. I was hoping to do the same with my Garmin but the handling of pois seems to be far more difficult on the Garmin. I wonder why they make it so complex?

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can add extra info to the CSV files prior to upload by POILoader however without knowing what extra info you wish to add it's difficult to advise if it's possible and if so, how....
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So once the pois are on the sat nave they are fixed in stone and unalterable.

With the Tomtom alteration is simple but with the Garmin it's impossible.

It would appear that I have bought a real crap system.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still edit them on the PC. You just need to keep the original files on there.

The way to think of it is this:

You download six POI files from the web (as csv fles)
You use your favourite POI editor to edit them (I use POIEdit)
Once you're happy, you use POILoader to upload them to the Garmin (leaving them on the PC in

A week later you want to update one of the POI files and maybe add two more, so you go back to the PC, download the updated file and the two new ones. You save them in the same folder as before, and use POILoader again to upload everything in that folder to the Garmin.

A few days later you find some additional entries for one of your POI categories from a different website, so you download the additional file, use POI Edit to merge the two files together, save the result in the same folder again, and finally use POILoader to upload the whole lot to the Garmin again.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would appear that I have bought a real crap system.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. Edit them on the device, edit them before you load them to the device. What's the real difference? Never heard anyone else complain.
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify my problem.

Whilst going around in my motorhome I have used my Tomtom GO950 to create new POIs, of campsites etc. I usually do this with the minimum of information (to speed things up) and store the new POIs in a temporary folder. Later on I connect the 950 to the laptop and use POIEdit to update the information and then I move the POIs to a more representative folder on the TT. There is no need at any time to move POIs from the TT I can do everything from there.

This appears to be impossible with the Garmin. It would appear that I will have to store the information on the new POIs manually, add the POIs to the correct folder in my list of Garmin POIs stored on the laptop and then transfer the every one of the POIs back to the standard poi file on the Garmin using the POILoader and then delete/rename files as necessary.

A 5 minute job on the TT becomes about an hour’s job on the Garmin AND I have no immediate access to the POIs on the Garmin, I cannot use them until after I have had a spell on the laptop.

I'm not impressed with this procedure.

Last edited by djc1610 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save them as Favourites in the short term then transfer to POI file when you get to a laptop. Takes less than a minute per POI.
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, the info was very useful.

I can see how useful Favourites are with the Garmin but never found then very useful witht Tomtom due to the easy way POIs could be added to the TT and modified on the TT.

How many Favourites can I store on the Garmin?

Eventually I will become confident using the Garmin and by then I will probably find it as easy to use as the TT.

maxdot
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have discovered the joys of Garmin's Favourites rather than TomTom's custom POIs. So far I've put in about 250 in 9 Categories with no sign of the machine complaining. My problem is seeing them on a map afterwards. On the TT 730 both Favourites and any category of POI you choose would be clearly visible on the map at every level of zoom. That is not the case with the Garmin, which makes it extremely difficult to use as a journey planning instrument. It seems impossible to predict at what level of zoom any particular Favourite will be visible

PaulB2005 wrote
Save them as Favourites in the short term then transfer to POI file when you get to a laptop. Takes less than a minute per POI.

Is there any advantage to having them as a POI rather than a Favourite?
Max
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

This sounds great but I am not sure ho it can be done.

I know what the Favorites Files is called and where it is stored.

I know that I can load it into POIEdit and then modify it.

What must I do, using POIEdit, to convert it to a POI file? Is it just a rename?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that once you've edited the favourites file how you want it, you would then save it from POIEdit as a .csv file.

Then you'd put that in your POI folder for uploading with all the others and use POILoader to stick it all back onto the Nuvi again.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any advantage to having them as a POI rather than a Favourite?
I think the difference is that favourites are all lumped together, so will all have the same 'favourite' icon, whereas with POIs you can have them in different categories with more specific icons.
Quote:
What must I do, using POIEdit, to convert it to a POI file? Is it just a rename?
Can you OPEN the favourites folder on the PC, using say Excel or **POILoader**? If you can, and you see fields for Longitude, Latitude, "name or text" separated by commas, and the file type, if you try a 'Save As' says ".csv", then you are probably ok. (If not, wait for someone who is more familiar nowadays with Garmin!).

But I presume your favourites could be of different sorts, eg restaurants, hotels, sites of interest, all lumped together, so I guess if you have already got some different POI categories, with their own screen display icons you will want to add individual POIs to the correct categories, in which case you would I think open each of your category folders and add in the appropriate entries (eg you could use 'Append' in POIEdit to add ALL favourites, and then delete all irrelevant POIs for that category, or you could do some pre-editing and just add the individual entries).

Then, make sure all categories end up in your POILoader folder!!

BTW, I think the normal maximum for Favourites on Garmin is 500, but your user manual should say.

Hope that makes some sense!

EDIT Whoops, sorry, "**POILoader**" = "POIEdit" Embarassed

Last edited by BigPerk on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: