Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS as a present
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS as a present

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunapark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: GPS as a present Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm hoping to get some helpful advice from someone on here, as I am not quite sure what to buy.

It's my partner's birthday coming up and he mentioned recently that he needs a new GPS for his car. I've been looking at some sites like this one this one, but it's confusing the hell out of me. I wanted to pay anything up to £100 and it should have all the standard devices.

To be honest I am not too sure about what the GPS needs to have. Please let me know what you need to know, so I can get him the best possible piece of kit for the amount I wanted to spend.

Thanks a lot
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here: http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/
and here: http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/

Basically the more you pay the more you get.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very big question!

Most of the better ones will offer the basic navigation from door to door with voice guidance and PostCode look up (useful for entering destinations).

Pay a bit more and you can get computer voices that read out the road names etc i.e. 'In 300 yards turn left into acacia gardens' as opposed to 'turn left in 300 yards'.

Then the top of the range ones will have live traffic data and other whizzy features.

At the £100 mark, I'd suggest you stick with something from Garmin or TomTom. You also need to consider if you want a unit that has just UK mapping or Full Europe.

From TomTom consider a Start2 or ONE v4 (avoid non v2 Start models) and from Garmin a Nuvi 265T. All are good, reliable satnavs that will serve you well.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved your post out of the TomTom section so fans of other brands are more likely to see it too!

TomTom and Garmin are the market leaders, probably for good reason, although there are other brands around.

There are a few questions you could ask...

Size of screen... nothing exact, but there are three main sorts - as compact as possible "normal" screens, slightly bigger "widescreen" models or "large screen" (5" screens)

Would he want/need live Traffic updates, so the satnav can route around jams? - costs more, either using a separate aerial which is free to use after purchase or a a better system using a built in transmitter /receiver and an ongoing subscription.

Would he be happy with directions like "in 200 yards turn left" or would he want "in 200 yards turn left into Park Avenue" (This is using"text to speech" voices which are on the more expensive models).

Might he want to do multi-stop "itinerary" routes like a delivery driver would, or just normal "A to B and maybe via C" types of journey?
Lunapark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your time Andy!
Well, I suppose I am looking at GPS with a rather compact size of screen and that live traffic update would be awesome. He'll love that for sure.
The text to speak doesnt really matter that much and also I think it is enough to just have the A to B option since he could manually dial new locations in...
So what do you think or recommend?
Thanks again!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you may get the free to air traffic service offered by some devices, (the nuvi 265T I mentioned earlier has it), you won't get the better service that requires a subscription on a device near the £100 mark.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for COMPACT then the Garmin Nuvi 2200 fits the bill

At £97 it has some of the latest Nuvi features and better visuals MyTrends and more (also Text to Speech and TMC Live Traffic)

Seems neat

Halfords Link
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
nedslider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
If you are looking for COMPACT then the Garmin Nuvi 2200 fits the bill

At £97 it has some of the latest Nuvi features and better visuals MyTrends and more (also Text to Speech and TMC Live Traffic)

Seems neat

Halfords Link

Amazon has the Nuvi 2200 for £89.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-2200-UK-Ireland-Mapping/dp/B00421BLQ0/ref=sr_1_64?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295816675&sr=1-64

or there's a Nuvi 1200 with Traffic and text to speech (UK and ROI Mapping only) for a bargain £69.90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Nuvi-Traffic-Ireland-Mapping/dp/B004FTQGNC/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295816391&sr=1-6
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thin to consider is does he have an iPhone or android Phone
As you could get Tomtom copilot or igo Europe for under 100 quid and have enough leftover for a 12 month subscription to the the pocketgps database

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: