Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rider memory card failed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rider memory card failed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Rider memory card failed Reply with quote

Out and about today in the car and suddenly my TT rider shut down.

Pressed the start up button and got the reboot start screen. That was it stuck like that for 10 mins then I turned it off again.

Put the memory card in my computer and it found lots of errors. So I deleted everything and tried to restore from a backup on my hard drive.

Got lots of file copy errors. Binned the card (4gb) and put my files on to a spare 2gb card all is well again. ( apart from Ive only got half of Europe now but I can change that when I get a new card).

Was quite supprised the card failed its less than 12 months old

My phone worked well with the android speed camera app data-base
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read an article about the comparative life expectancy of various media for archiving (CD, CD-R, Analogue tape, Digital tape, DVD, Flash memory etc.).

Surprisingly, flash memory cards came out as one of the WORST, with the shortest average time before failure.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have older cards that are fine, but I think it must be something to do with the number of read/write cycles.

Tried to format the card from windows and it showed the full allocation of space but could not write more than 1gb to it before errors started and its a 4 gb card.

Not worth keeping I had spare cards so just sorted it and move on, gladd I keep regular backups though, would have been really Censored if I had lost everything. Exclamation

Mod edit to remove disguised swearing. Please do not use alternative characters to hide swearing. PaulB2005
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm baffled, I believed the Rider all versions could only handle SD cards up to 2 GB. My Rider will not even recognise a SDHC card 4GB.
Or have I got this wrong?
Noj Question
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harley-noj wrote:
OK I'm baffled

Why baffled, Noj? You've hit the nail on the head!
Well spotted that exportman was trying to use an SDHC card.

The TomTom SD/SDHC card compatibility chart confirms this.

The important limit is not the size but the type. SDHC cards just will not work reliably in the older models. You might get away with it for a while, but it's asking for trouble.

There were a couple of companies that used to make 4GB ordinary SD cards (Transcend and Topram), but I don't know if they still do, now that SDHC is so much more widely used.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It was not Secure digital high capacity, it was a standard secure digital card. you can still find them but they are a difficult to locate.

But cards do fail I guess and I use mine a lot on a bike with more vibration etc I would expect they are more vulnerable.

Yesterday one of the pins broke on my headset so I lost the voice instructions to my helmet, guess it just not my week.

Out of interest mine will work with a SHDC card I have tried it with a spare 4gb micro sd in a carrier and everything worked fine, it won't recognise a 8gb one though. I am looking for a standard SD 4gb to replace the broken one.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, get one with a lifetime guarantee, bit more expensive but they do seem to last better than the shorter guarantees.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you live and learn. I didn't know you could get 4GB SD cards. I beleived that SD was limited to 2GB.
Now all I have to do is find a good 4GB SD card Question
Thanks
Noj
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially, the SD standard does specify 2GB max. (see http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdcard/ so making 4GB ones pushes the boundaries a bit.
They usually work fine, but I wouldn't use one in "mission critical" situations.

In just the same way, SDHC cards often work "sort of" in SD slots, but are likely to fail when you least expect it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: