Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How up to date can I make my GO 520?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How up to date can I make my GO 520?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnyguitar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: How up to date can I make my GO 520? Reply with quote

Sorry guys for potentially reposting several of the same questions. but I tried a search for answers to some of the questions I have and couldn't find anything specific.

I have a GO 520 that I bought in late 2008 - it came with the latest map guarantee (so I made sure it had the most up to date map available at the time) and also updated the software to V8.010.
I've recently switched on the map share option for the first time, but haven't updated any corrections. I've also seen that the latest version available through TomTom Home is 8.351, but in searching for '8.351' for info I can't find anything less than around a year old about the App version that doesn't suggest it's a bit glitchy.
Other than 8.351, is there anything more advanced that isn't going to give me any gyp when I start trying to use it again for the first time?

Cheers

JA
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.351 is the 'newest' app for that model and is 19 months old!!!

It has issues with Bluetooth connectivety failing every couple of days (requiring a unit reset) and ot does not seem that TT will ever provide a fix for that problem.

While it's possible to run apps on units not meant for them, sometimes strange behaviour in areas results ..........
jonnyguitar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David.
Is there any benefit or improved functionalilty to upgrading from 8.010 or is it a case of "if it ain't broke..."?
I don't use Bluetooth on my TT so I wouldn't really miss it, but it would be nice if it worked properly if I did want to use it.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on this ice here and I hope the mods here will correct me on this but I think that you could not make use of IQ routing on a map unless the app was at a higher level than that which you have.
jonnyguitar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I am not following, but I do already have IQ routes on my 520. I believe when I bought it and got the Nav8 map and the 8.010 it took it straight to 530 spec, but I am not that clued up on the subject. I think it works ok, but if it can work better, then happy days.

I've just done a map share update and am considering buying a new map for £30 and installing to SD card.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok. Then that resolves that concern.

The newest map is 860 but it came out November 17th. The 865 map is due out sometime in February, probably from mid month on....

You may want to wait???
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre Navcore 8,3xx you got IQ Routes 1, post Navcore 8,3xx you get IQ Routes assuming you are using map that contains this data, if you are intending to update the map to the latest version then you will require 8,3xx to gain the benefit or the IQ Routes 2 data.
Differences between IQ_1 and IQ_2 is down to the accuracy of the speed related information, the early system was by the day (IIRC) and the newer on is down to a few minutes - Mike
jonnyguitar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I assume then that when the new maps are released (let's say Feb), there is a new version released to match?

For the time being then, I guess there is no benefit to updating the version of my 520 (V8.010) if it's working ok?
jonnyguitar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another question - if I bought a map now, at the reduced rate as it's in the winter sale (£30 instead of £40), does it come with the latest map guarantee for the next 21 days or however long, so that if the next map is released, I would get an upgrade to that, or does that only apply to new equipment?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mike is saying is that to get full benefit out of IQ routing, you need 8.302 (where Bluetooth works but this app had other issues) or 8.351.

When map 865 comes out, the data for IQ2 will be imbedded in the map but without one of those 2 apps, you won't be able to implement it.

There will NOT be a newer app released at that time.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the LMG only applies to the map originally installed on the unit when purchased. Doesn't relate to new map purchases.
jonnyguitar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, that's clearer and I understand better now.
As I have IQ routing on my 520, I should therefore see some benefit if I upgrade to 8.351.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are considering updating the map installed to the device I would leave it alone, when you are ready for a new map update the software (Navcore) to the latest BEFORE you purchase a map - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and make explorer backups before you upgrade, and at all stages during and after!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: