Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - making corrections - street names
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

making corrections - street names
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: making corrections - street names Reply with quote

I want to correct an error in Ardrossan where the B780 is shown as part of the A738. However, when I try to rename sections of the road, it doesnt show A738 before the street name. For example Glasgow Street is shown as "A738 Glasgow Street" until you try to edit it, when it just says "Glasgow Street".

Is it ok to correct it by putting B780 before Glasgow Street? eg "B780 Glasgow Street"
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't work too well, now I have "A738 B780 Glasgow Street"

How irritating.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:

How irritating.

How "Tomtom" Wink
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem where my parents live...

They live on a road called Langley which for 250 yards has houses only on ONE side of the road.

Then there are houses on BOTH sides of the road - one side called PYHILL and the other side LANGLEY!!

MAP LINK

Looking at the map above - the houses at the top of the road are LANGLEY, and the bottom are in PYHILL.
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: making corrections - street names Reply with quote

Stampy72 wrote:
one side called PYHILL and the other side LANGLEY!!.

Blimey, that *is* awkward! Do you know of ANY sat-nav or map that gets it right?

mccririck wrote:
Glasgow Street is shown as "A738 Glasgow Street" until you try to edit it, when it just says "Glasgow Street".

mccririck wrote:
now I have "A738 B780 Glasgow Street"

This problem of the road numbers is an interesting one. I remember something similar happening when I tried one of my very first Mapshare corrections - I ended up with the road number twice.

Seems that MapShare ONLY wants you to tinker with the name part and the road number is added on in a completely different part of the operating system, so if you add the number to the corrected name manually, it just goes ahead and adds it again when it draws the map on screen or shows you it in a list of addresses.
but why the number sometimes disappears after a correction is another part of the mystery.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you gotta admit it's a handy little feature, innit?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
But you gotta admit it's a handy little feature, innit?

Well, so much for THAT New Year's Resolution, eh Dennis? Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't resoluted anything David - at my age, it's presumptuous to even consider holding to anything for a year and I wouldn't waste it on MapShare if I did! Having said which, I did upgrade to Navcore 9.058 this morning on my 550.

WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I haven't resoluted anything David - at my age, it's presumptuous to even consider holding to anything for a year and I wouldn't waste it on MapShare if I did! Having said which, I did upgrade to Navcore 9.058 this morning on my 550.

I'm quite surprised that someone of your advancing years could actually manage to develop finger muscles strong enough to reliably be able to press the screen hard enough for Navcore 9.058 to be able to spot all of your key presses.

I'm also surprised that someone who objects so strongly to Mapshare doesn't now mind being constantly forced back in to 2D screen display by TomTom or to having their battery unnecessarily run flat when they leave the unit unused for a couple of days (although I suppose that never happens in your line of work) because Navcore 9.058 continues to run the battery down unless you remember to "Clear Route" (your route not being cleared simply by arriving at your destination) unlike Navcore 8.371

Regarding street names TomTom had an incorrect spelling for my own street (heaven knows why as it has always been right on the Royal Mail postcode database and even unwanted bulk marketing letters sent to me that I have not set up the address for still have it down correctly) that I immediately corrected through Map Share when I got the unit. In fact it was two corrections as my road splits in to two parts and each has the same name but TomTom considers it as two bits of road on the map.

Unfortunately I find that my street name is still wrong in the road names and postcodes lookup facilities on my unit and although this doesn't usually bother me (as I already have it set up as Home) I see on the TomTom Routes website that it is still incorrectly spelt despite my previous reports on the matter to Teleatlas. I don't buy map updates as they would wipe out my map share corrections and because TomTom charge far too much money for new maps that Teleatlas usually hasn't actually bothered to update properly. I notice that Garmin, who are clearly less greedy than TomTom, now have UK models with European maps (that also include Iceland unlike TomTom) that you can buy a lifetime map update add voucher add on for that only costs around £40 to £50. TomTom charges more than that for just one brand new European map. Evil or Very Mad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fingers don't touch the screen - I use a one foot long pencil with an eraser on the end.

As for 2D View, my 550 is always in 2D view (I use 3D on one of the others).

As for battery state - all my devices go straight onto the ciggy lighter in the van (I have to keep my hands and feet out of the spaghetti wiring, of course) and onto the USB connectors in the house. I use the batteries only to get them from one to the other. (PS - try searching for MikeAlder's instructions on how to switch the unit off as opposed to putting it to battery-gobbling sleep).

So in respect of all the above, I hate to admit it, but I'm a satisfied TT customer!! Laughing

JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on 8.371; is it worth upgrading to 9.058? Live HD Traffic is my most important requirement and I'm still worried that upgrading will cause me to lose the best bit of my 740 Live.
Map: Europe v925.5413
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnMulholland wrote:
I'm still on 8.371; is it worth upgrading to 9.058? Live HD Traffic is my most important requirement and I'm still worried that upgrading will cause me to lose the best bit of my 740 Live.

Don't do it!!! Stop!

The x40 seems to be badly affected by the update to 9.058 - it causes the HD traffic to be Very slow to be available. On my 540 it was averaging 6 minutes to receive the Traffic info after switching on. This is very frustrating - you either lose 6 minutes straight away (it supposed to save us time) or you go with the suggested route and potentially drive straight in to a jam round the corner.

Several x40 users, including me, have reverted back to v8.371

I contacted TT a while ago and they said they were aware of the problem and (eventually) told me to revert back to v8.371. They say they are working on a fix but couldn't give a timescale.

I'll try the next release of v9 when (if) it comes.

Are there any X40 users out there who are using v9.058 and the HD Traffic without any issues?

I think the x50 had v9 from scratch so presumably it works okay with them.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 9.058 on a 740 with the issues but then I use it once a month or so now. I have been back onto TT to find out what is happening about the new NavCore I was promised over two months ago. Just waiting their response.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to buck the trend, but I'm using 9.058 on a 940 and a 950 and an XL Live and I DON'T get the slowdown.

I just timed it with the Go940 on my windowsill and when I first switched on (no GPS lock) it took 7 seconds before the Traffic bar appeared on screen, and it then took another 27 seconds before the spinning wheel was replaced by the normal view and the "x number of incidents" message appeared.

The Xl was somewhat slower, taking 19 seconds to show the Traffic bar and another 33 seconds before the data was downloaded.

But both are quite acceptable times for me.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Sorry to buck the trend, but I'm using 9.058 on a 940 and a 950 and an XL Live and I DON'T get the slowdown.

Surely you must find it requires very heavy screen presses to get it to do anything compared to the screen presses required in v8.371 There also appears to be a serious fault with now being able to increase the volume from low levels while driving when in 2D screen mode . Also surely you must find the unit changes more slowly between screens after screen presses than it did in v8.371?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: