Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Garmin i3 POI's Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a Garmin i3 and have just downloaded the POI's to my PC. But I'm wary of the following website warning:

"Special Note to i3 users: DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL MORE THAN 85 POI CATEGORIES AS THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR UNIT TO FAIL TO BOOT! If you have a card reader make a backup of your Micro-SD card to PC before downloading these POIs. If you have a newer model with no transflash card then you should use POIs on a separate TransFlash card to avoid any possible corruption of the internal memory."

So I selected the option to "Combine subcategories into category file" when downloading to my PC. After unzipping the file I have 30 files (each file is duplicated - 15 BMP and 15 Microsoft Office Excel Comma Separatad Values Files).

Am I safe to proceed to install these POI's in my Satnav please - I don't have the facility to make a backup of my microSD card and I don't want to screw my sat nav up!! Many thanks.

polybear
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes as long as you don't install more than 85 pairs of CSV and BMP files you'll be OK.

Even if it did stop the unit working you can use a card reader to go into the card and delete the POI.GPI file in the POI folder. Then replace the card and the unit should start working again...
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless expense is a really critical issue, then if your i3 is important to you, I would definitely advise getting a card reader anyway - either one which can handle microSd cards directly, or a microSD adaptor card (which sort of makes yours look like a normal SD card) + an SD card reader. The first is obviously more convenient. They are not actually very expensive.

You can see one suggestion in the thread
Quote:
Warning for Garmin i3 users loading POIs
, and you could have a look at Amazon. The reason I would advise this is that your i3 card could become corrupt after a long period of time, even without a specific download problem. Unless you would want to buy a replacement unit anyway, it would be a lot simpler/cheaper to load up a new card from a backup and get your i3 up and running.

(If you load camera pics onto your PC, it would make that a tad more convenient as well, rather than connecting the camera itself.)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it would be a lot simpler/cheaper to load up a new card from a backup and get your i3 up and running.

If the cards are SD cards and the unit software is loaded to the cards, is this possible? I was under the impression that locked SD card contents (such as maps) could not be moved / copied to another card.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh ... not sure about that Paul, now you mention it - so many different locking regimes around on different satnavs - you may well be right! Confused (If so, polybear, just ignore me Embarassed )
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you can copy the contents elsewhere for backup in case of corruption but you always have to use the original card in the device. So no good if you loose or break the card.
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Many thanks for the replies; I have a card reader that'll handle SD cards so I'll look for an adapter to take microSD cards too - then I can make a backup as suggested. I'll let you know how I get on...

Many thanks.
Brian
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Well I've just received my microSD card adapter from Amazon (£1-59!!) and made a backup copy of my Garmin microSD card on my laptop (complete with the latest Speed Camera database from this website.

I then loaded the latest POI's from this website and loaded them up to my SatNav using the same sort of process as when I loaded the speedcam database.

One question - have I done everything correct please - I'm a little unsure if the speedcam database is also classed as a POI and if so have I deleted/overwritten the speedcam files by subsequently loading the POI files?

The Garmin powers up ok and the latest POI's (for shops etc) are there, but haven't tested it for speedcams as yet. Many thanks.

polybear
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the new POIs will have overwritten the speed cameras. You need to upload all of the POIs at the same time.

The easiest way is to create a folder on your computer and put all the POI files you want (including the speed cameras) in there, replacing the speed cams with the new ones each week and adding any new POI files to the folder. Then point POILoader at the folder and upload the contents to your i3.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply - all done and tested ok. Many thanks for the help.
Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: