Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speedzone camera alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speedzone camera alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodiddle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: speedzone camera alerts Reply with quote

hi guys,
just bought the tom tom live, downloaded the speedzone warning voices but dont know how to install them. looked everywhere for this but cant find anything for this model. any help out there? Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the name of the TomTom device on the box including the model number as there are loads of different types - Mike
bodiddle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the tom tom XL Live.
Thanks for quick reply
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming this is the standard XL Live and not a version with a "2" after the name.

It should have a page in the preferences menu for "manage POIs"?
If so, then you can use the same set-up instructions as for any other TomTom with full features.

Installation Guide

Video Guide

Write back if you need any more help. Smile
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, are you sure the OP is referring to the PGPSW speed cameras?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! Laughing

I was assuming the PGPSW ones....

The XL Live (or I think is it's full name is the 'XL Live IQ Routes edition' ) *is* missing from the compatibility list.

It must be hard to keep the list fully up to date, altering it every time every manufacturer brings out a similar model with a slightly different number - but if you make the listing too vague, TT will bring out a model with a similar name that DOESN'T work (they wouldn't do such a thing, would they? Wink )

Anyway, we digress....
Which ones, bodiddle? TomTom's own efforts or the 'PGPSW' ones from this site?
bodiddle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom's own. is that a problem Sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all - but it affects what advice we give, as the techniques to get the camera warnings working are different.

If you are using TomTom's own camera warnings, I'm afraid they are very limited in the warnings you can use. Normally, you are limited to selecting one of the internal sound effects. This is done in the Live Services / Safety Alerts / Change warning preferences menu.

But I'm guessing you've downloaded some voice alerts from THIS site?

It *is* possible to add other sounds (or even voices) by adding them to the "sounds" folder on the TomTom (they need to be in ".ogg" format).

But as you are only able to assign ONE sound for each camera type (fixed, mobile etc.), it's pretty limited and there is no point in using one of the full "speed-zoned" sets of of voice warnings from this site.

Those PGPSW warning voices are designed to work with the PGPSW camera database, and together they *can* give you voice warnings of the speed limit in force as well as the camera type - much more useful!

Most people here will also tell you the PGPSW camera database is better for other reasons too - the main one being that it is provably more accurate and up to date then TomTom's own data.
bodiddle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: ata base as Reply with quote

Thank you Andy for your time and advice.Yes i have managed to install the one warning voice for each type of camera as you said. A least it is better than a bell or whistle! disapointing about the others though.
It seems you recommend the camera database from this site so would I have to delete anything from the TT to install it or would it clash with TT's own camera data base? As you probably know i have 1 year free subscription to the camera data base and live services.
I would like to keep the live services going but you have to pay for the camera data as well as its all one package.

Your advice on this would be gratefully received.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ata base as Reply with quote

bodiddle wrote:
would I have to delete anything from the TT to install it

No
Quote:
would it clash with TT's own camera data base?

You would get two warnings but it would serve to prove how poor their data is. Then you can simply turn off the TomTom alerts.
Quote:
as you probably know i have 1 year free subscription to the camera data base and live services. I would like to keep the live services going but you have to pay for the camera data as well as its all one package.

You can happily access your LIVE services but disable their speed camera alerts as many of our members do.

Their speed camera data is dire.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: