Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK TomTom One in Australia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK TomTom One in Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: UK TomTom One in Australia Reply with quote

Apologies if this is old hat - but I can't find any recent references to this.

In November, I shall be using a hire car in Australia (Sydney/Canberra area) and it would be useful to have the benefit of GPS navigation - not to mention speed cameras!

Looking on TomTom's website, it appears that I can download a map of Australia for under £60. Whereas I could use this with my ancient TomTom Classic (details in sig) I would prefer to use it with my wife's TT One (version 3, I think - but not to hand at the moment) because it's smaller and lighter. Since it doesn't have a removeable memory card, and I doubt whether it has sufficent memory to hold both UK and Australian maps at the same time, I assume that I will need to back up the current contents so that it can be restored later, and then delete the UK map before installing the Australian map. [My wife will not be amused if it doesn't work in the UK when we get back!]

I would appreciate advice on how to go about this in the most fool-proof fashion.

It is fair to assume that Australian PocketGPSWorld speed camera files work in the same way as uk ones? In other words, I assume that I need to copy the relevant .ov2 and .bmp files into the folder holding the Australian map, and then copy in and rename the relevant .ogg files in order to get voice prompts. Is this correct?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct.....

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your wife's tomtom. Once you are SURE that Explorer backup (especially the map folder) is on your computer, then delete the map folder from the tomtom.

Then connect it to Home and purchase the map of Oz. It'll install on the unit.

Close Home and make an Explorer backup of the contents of the unit with the Aussie map folder as part of it (I know, that's a bit of overkill, backing up everything..... it's the Aussie map you want to make sure is backed up).

When you return to the UK, again remove the Aussie map folder and restore the current map folder of UK or whatever that is residing on the computer.

The point is that all the backing up, deleting, restoring is done with Explorer, not Home.

I would presume whatever steps you took to install the PGPSW speed cameras on your current map would be the same steps to take for the Australia map.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending upon exactly which TomTom One you are thinking of using you might get away with both maps on it at the same time:

Regional One Third Edition with 512MB of built in memory, UK&ROI map with Navcore files etc still leaves plenty of room for the Aussy map.

If you have the Western_Europe device then you will have to put the WE map on the PC to free up space on the TomTom for the Aussy map - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: UK TomTom One in Australia Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
I assume that I need to copy the relevant .ov2 and .bmp files into the folder holding the Australian map, and then copy in and rename the relevant .ogg files in order to get voice prompts. Is this correct?

If you have the .ogg warning audio files in the "sounds" folder ("method 2" in the installation instructions) then you don't need to rename anything.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: UK TomTom One in Australia Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you have the .ogg warning audio files in the "sounds" folder ("method 2" in the installation instructions) then you don't need to rename anything.

I have .ogg files in my map directory, matching the .ov2 files - e.g. uk_gatso.ogg matching uk.gatso.ov2 (and uk.gatso.bmp). [Not sure which method this is, but I've been doing it since Adam was a lad, and it seems to work ok].

If I use the same method for Australia, I assume that I will need a set of aus.xxx.ogg files to match the aus.xxx.ov2 camera files. I was suggesting that I could create these by copying and renaming the appropriate uk .ogg files. Is that reasonable?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UK TomTom One in Australia Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

I have .ogg files in my map directory, matching the .ov2 files - e.g. uk_gatso.ogg matching uk.gatso.ov2 (and uk.gatso.bmp). [Not sure which method this is, but I've been doing it since Adam was a lad, and it seems to work ok].

If I use the same method for Australia, I assume that I will need a set of aus.xxx.ogg files to match the aus.xxx.ov2 camera files. I was suggesting that I could create these by copying and renaming the appropriate uk .ogg files. Is that reasonable?

Yes that's entirely reasonable. It should work fine.

All I was saying was that if you used the other method (both are described HERE) then the audio files appear in the standard "sound effects" menu screen (with all the bells and cow noises), so you can just pick whichever you want.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Depending upon exactly which TomTom One you are thinking of using you might get away with both maps on it at the same time:

Regional One Third Edition with 512MB of built in memory, UK&ROI map with Navcore files etc still leaves plenty of room for the Aussy map.

If you have the Western_Europe device then you will have to put the WE map on the PC to free up space on the TomTom for the Aussy map - Mike

Thanks for your reply. My wife's One is definitely UK-only (maybe including Ireland but NOT Western Europe). Not sure how much memory it's got, and can't easily check at the moment 'cos it's over 100 miles away - but I'll check at the end of the week. It will make life easier if the UK and Australia maps can co-exist.

Are there any hoops to jump through concerning licensing/authentication/etc. when downloading and installing an additional map?

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should not be.....

Always a good idea to make an Explorer, not Home, backup, prior to a major download, such as a map.

That said, as long as there is room on the device, the new map of Oz should work well on the device when it's installed.

Remember:
1) you need to Manage Maps--Switch maps to get to the Australia map
2) You can't use The Navigate function on it while in the UK but you can switch to it and do advanced planning.....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:

Thanks for your reply. My wife's One is definitely UK-only (maybe including Ireland but NOT Western Europe). Not sure how much memory it's got, and can't easily check at the moment 'cos it's over 100 miles away - but I'll check at the end of the week. It will make life easier if the UK and Australia maps can co-exist.

That means it's a "regional" device and will probably have 500MB of memory, but you can confirm that for yourself using the on-line serial number checker (Top right of THIS TomTom web-page).

That page also shows you the sizes of all the maps available for that version, and you can see the Australia map is quite small, needing only 123.8 MB of space. As the UK and Ireland map is 151.7 MB both should fit OK.

rkm_hm wrote:
Are there any hoops to jump through concerning licensing/authentication/etc. when downloading and installing an additional map?

No, not really.
You use TomTom's 'Home' utility program to download the map, and that should do all the licensing/authentication of the map for you.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
That means it's a "regional" device and will probably have 500MB of memory, but you can confirm that for yourself using the on-line serial number checker (Top right of THIS TomTom web-page).

That page also shows you the sizes of all the maps available for that version, and you can see the Australia map is quite small, needing only 123.8 MB of space. As the UK and Ireland map is 151.7 MB both should fit OK.

rkm_hm wrote:

No, not really.
You use TomTom's 'Home' utility program to download the map, and that should do all the licensing/authentication of the map for you.

I've now checked the device, and it has a capacity of 512MB - with over 300MB spare - so there should be no problem getting the Australia map on at the same time as the UK map.

On the subject of licensing, is there a legitimate second-hand market in maps?

In other words, if I buy an Australia map for a one-off trip, can I legally remove it and sell it to someone else to install on their GPS when I get back?

Better still, can I buy a second-hand map from someone else before I go, and re-sell it when I return? If so, where are such maps likely to be for sale - and how do I ensure that my device won't refuse to recognise it?

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can neither buy a 2nd hand map nor sell a purchased Australia map to someone when you return.

Maps are locked to the device when installed.

You can rent sat nav units in Australia when you hire the car. But if the cost of the sat nav rental is greater than the purchase cost of the Oz map, it still makes financial sense to buy the map from TT.

(who knows, you may enjoy Australia so much that you will return one day.. Laughing ).
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
You can neither buy a 2nd hand map nor sell a purchased Australia map to someone when you return.

Maps are locked to the device when installed.

You can rent sat nav units in Australia when you hire the car. But if the cost of the sat nav rental is greater than the purchase cost of the Oz map, it still makes financial sense to buy the map from TT.

(who knows, you may enjoy Australia so much that you will return one day.. Laughing ).

Thanks, I feared that was probably the case.

Renting has to be an option. My travel agent tells me that they can be had for about £30 per week - and I'm having a hire car for 2 weeks, so that's only a bit more than the £55 purchase price, and avoids the need to take the device with me.

On the other side of the coin, it would be nice to be able to do some route planning before setting out, and I'd be sure of having a familiar device. Also, I'd be able to load the PocketGPSWorld speed cameras into it - which wouldn't be possible with a rental device.

As far as going back is concerned, this will be my second visit - the first being 8 years ago. I doubt whether I'll go again (due to anno domini) but, in any case, the maps will be a bit dated in 8 years' time!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: