Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO540 charging - or not ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO540 charging - or not ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: GO540 charging - or not ? Reply with quote

Couple of quick Q's -

My GO540 - is it supposed to charge while on its docking station via usb from the pc ?

Amber light shows (not switched on) when docked but never goes green.

Also - when plugged into the car it does not charge at all - just gradually uses up the battery. Charger is giving out something like 5v so is working.

Gerry
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When plugged into the USB it does charge but at a very slow rate compared to mains or car chargers. Try leaving it for a few hours.

As for the car charger it might just be a case that the charger has failed or blown a fuse.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
When plugged into the USB it does charge but at a very slow rate compared to mains or car chargers.

My 940 Live gets fully charged when connected to my computer by the USB docking station cable in significantly less than two hours (if it is almost completely run down when charging starts) once the orange charge light comes on. So it isn't really that long, even though it may take a little longer than when charging in the car.

The major issue I have is that my 940 Live is unreliable about when it actually enters the orange light charging mode when attached via the docking station. Sometimes it does it straight away, sometimes not at all and sometime only after being left attached with the green light showing for up to an hour or more. But then on a 550 unit I also have access to the charger light always comes on straight away but that unit hardly ever holds more than a few minutes charge on battery whether charged in the car or by USB connection cable to a PC.

The bottom line seems to be that TomTom purchases cheap charging circuity and/or third rate lithium batteries that are unreliable and inconsistent in their behaviour.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two other things to consider. With the car dock, if the USB plug is not fully inserted, the orange light comes on but the unit does not charge. You need to go via the satellite bars to see if the battery is actually charging.

The other is that there is some software control of the charging or charging indicator in that sometimes mne has refused to charge but a reset has started it charging again. Also sometimes it does not properly turn off and flattens itself very quickly, this was far worse when I had V9 software installed.

A PC USB port or powered hub will limit the output current to 500mA per port and should cut off if more than this is demanded. USB chargers such as TomTom put out as much as 2A.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: