Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 44*44 icons
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

44*44 icons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planebreaker1616
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: 44*44 icons Reply with quote

Hi just got my new 550 live and have decided to keep on using this camera database as it has never let me down and the tomtom live cameras seem to be a bit.....errgghh!!....I am trying to install the large icons and have downloaded and installed them into my map folder saying replace all when asked. I am know stuck at what to do to get them working as the normal tt ones still appear. Please if any one can help that will be great as i cannot find the answer on here....Thanks a lot Very Happy
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal icons appear on the map and the 48x48 ones appear at the top left. Do they not appear at all? Did the set you downloaded match the database type you normally download?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you only have the TT icons showing, it's possible you haven't set up the alert warnings for the PGPSW cameras.

You will need both a set of 22x22 or 24x24 icons to show on the map and an "X2" 44x44 set for the alert in the top-left corner.
Brodit ProClip mount
planebreaker1616
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for the information. I downloaded the same icons as the type of database . On the tt I have asked for the poi to alert me ...as in getting the alerts for the cameras..... I think that i need to download the 22*22 icons and put those in the map as well.....are there any other options on the tt to choose which icons appear at the top left of the screen or is it a case of them displaying by themselves.......once again thank you for any advice.....i am doing my best and gradually learning and hopefully one day I will be able to give some advice to help somebody else !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planebreaker1616 wrote:
I think that i need to download the 22*22 icons and put those in the map as well.....

Yes, you always need the "normal size" 22x22 ones. The larger ones are optional.

planebreaker1616 wrote:
are there any other options on the tt to choose which icons appear at the top left of the screen or is it a case of them displaying by themselves.......

It's all automatic.

It's often misunderstood what the "large" icons are for as they don't actually make anything show up larger!

On a basic TomTom, the 22x22 POI icons are used for the "Browse map" and on the roads on the normal navigation screen.
Then, (if you have warnings set up for any POIs) that same icon is "scaled up" by the software to produce the large icon in the top left corner as you approach the POI.

It was discovered a while ago that if you added a second, double-sized icon (with the correct name) it would be used instead, and this meant you could get a better quality image, with better curves on the speed signs for example; because the small icon can look "blocky" when it gets scaled up.

So the large icons are not to give you increased SIZE, but increased QUALITY.

To further confuse matters, on old v7 software, the "large" icons really were double-sized on screen (44x44) and you could even manage to use 48x48 ones, but when v8 software came along, they squashed the large icons slightly on screen in order to put a pretty border round them, so they end up looking a bit smaller than they did on your computer. It also stopped the 48x48 ones working.
planebreaker1616
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH......that all makes sense to me now. The icons are very clear (the ones at the top left) so having put everything in place it sounds like im there with it!!....its great to be able to use this site to get educated and hopefully i will be able to share the things i learn with others that come along in the future....well many thanks for the fast reply and keep up all the hard work .... Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: