Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930 referb map question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930 referb map question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: 930 referb map question Reply with quote

oh well, got my 930 delivered today and to be honest im quite impressed with it so far,especially the size compared to my old 910.

making a backup folder first of 3.38gb
think ill also get a 2 or 4gb card for future updates.

right question time Smile
my 910 is version 7.903 and i updated the maps to v720.1803 in june 2008

the 930 is version 8.014 and has map v810.1907 loaded.
google says the maps are from september 08 so do you think i need to update it. as mentioned previously the refurbs dont come with the 30 day option to upgrade to the latest maps even though some people have been lucky and its let them.
is it worth giving that a go first using home and see if it lets me update them.
i only do roughly 4 or 5 long motorway journeys a year and managed with the 910 older map up until now or should i splash out on the updates if home wont let me.

any idea roughly how many maps have been released since september 08
thanks
jim
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, yes!! Give it a go. You only need to register it (new email address, different from the address for your 910), then update the Application, then go for Latest Map Guarantee in Home (Tools... Use Latest Map guarantee).

If you're going for an SD card, get a Class 6 SDHC of 8GB or greater, waste of time going as low as 4GB.

(The above I wrote on your other thread before you edited it away!)

I have a TomTom GO 700 with map 675, April 2007, on it and it will still get me "there" quite adequately - when I run it alongside other devices with more up to date maps, it's not easy to see a great difference. If the Latest Map Guarantee doesn't work and you only do a few trips a year, I'd suggest you stick with the map you've already got - I'm guessing that updating the 930 map (of Western & Central Europe) will be around £80, so it's not worth it. EDIT - I've just checked Tomtom.com and the map is currently special price of £49.95 - much more attractive proposition.

If there have been 4 maps a year, Sep 08 means a good half a dozen new maps. But a lot of people think there's a lot of cosmetics in that. TT always say 15% (or somesuch) of roads change every year, but we sceptics wonder how much of that is one way systems, speed limits, double white lines and similar. I update mine regularly because I'm doing some 50,000 miles a year - updates at £47 a year run out at a pretty low cost per mile (I'll ask Anita how much, I don't do sums Laughing ).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soz for editing the last thread Embarassed

once again, thank you so much Dennis for your prompt reply.
ok connected to home.
download tom tom safety cameras, i dont think so Laughing Laughing
so the updated version is 8.351 so ill have that and gps fix and phone connection. lastly is the map share of 44.2mb worth it.
once thats done ill try for the latest maps. i know im being greedy but if it lets me update the europe map do you think it will let me update the north america one,Laughing Out Loud. oh yeh, most prob not emough space.
god knows why they changed from a 20gb hard drive to a 4gb. saving money i suppose.

cheers for all your help.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho, ho, ho! Mapshare! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now why didnt i see that in your sig. i take it you dont like them then? Laughing Out Loud.
knowing my luck someone will have had a bad day and ill turn into a brick wall or the sea.
i did actually untick the mapshare but it said installed afterwards, me.confused.com.
just my luck. they want me to pay £29.95 for the uk & paddy maps.
ill think about it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 930 should be supplied with Western_and_Central_Europe not UK&ROI, make sure the WE map is selected on the device (Change Preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch maps) then connect to home and click the Tools option on the top bar followed by Latest Map Guarantee, what does Home offer this way?? - Mike
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mistake Mike,yes it was Western_and_Central_Europe and not uk & ireland.

rock on tommy, the tools option has offered me both western and central europe and north america maps Shocked thanks for pointing me in the right diretion.
now do these new maps override the old ones as ive only got 332mb space left. will have to get the extra card soon.

so what ive found and heard so far....
added the cameras from this great site and set up the distances to warn. the warning sounds are total naff compared to the 910 Confused and the general voice is not as crisp and clear. is there any way of copying the 910 1,2 & 3 polite sounds into the 930 folder? or is it the smaller speaker thats making them sound pants.

the street names are not read out in the directions. ive ticked read aloud street names in speech preferences but still no joy.

lastly (so far)the window dock. is this safe as it just sticks to the window without any turning suction like on previous models. only been round the block so far but will test further tomorrow.

still seriously likeing the size of the thing though Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
is there any way of copying the 910 1,2 & 3 polite sounds into the 930 folder?

Yes you can.
I've made them available as a download and you just put the individual ogg files OR the entire folder (both work) into the "sounds" folder on the TomTom.
Read more and get the download HERE (You may need to register in that forum to get the download).

But have you considered using the VOICE alerts for the cameras
from this site?

MrDJ wrote:
or is it the smaller speaker thats making them sound pants.

Laws of physics come into play here... I'm afraid you'll not get the same quality as you're used to from the smaller flatter speaker in the newer units.

MrDJ wrote:
the street names are not read out in the directions. ive ticked read aloud street names in speech preferences but still no joy.

Do you have a "computer" (i.e. text to speech) voice selected? Kate and Simon are the usual OK ones. Only TTS voices will read out street names.

MrDJ wrote:
lastly (so far)the window dock. is this safe as it just sticks to the window without any turning suction like on previous models. only been round the block so far but will test further tomorrow.

I never had serious problems with mine, but others have. I guess it depends on your windscreen (or the quality of your spit?).

There IS a replacement mount on the TT website now, that uses the same twist lock as the "Easyport" mounts from the ONE models.
They are very secure.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
the tools option has offered me both western and central europe and north america maps Shocked thanks for pointing me in the right diretion.

DennisN wrote:
go for Latest Map Guarantee in Home (Tools... Use Latest Map guarantee). Rolling Eyes

Andy_P wrote:
I guess it depends on your windscreen (or the quality of your spit?).
There has been some discussion of this - some say the quality and distribution of your spit is important, others say that you must under no circumstances use spit, the sucker thing and windscreen should both be dry as dust. Apparently both methods work perfectly, but only one method per user (one user cannot use both methods). For both methods, it is wise to apply the sucker to the windscreen during warmer conditions - physics means the subsequent coolness will contract the small amount of remaining air under it to improve the suck/vacuum - conversely, you may find it falls off during hot weather when the air expands and degrades the vacuum. Drive to Morocco and attach the sucker, then return and do all your subsequent driving in the Arctic, Easy Meerkat sound!

alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the 930 came withe Europe and USA maps? The 730 is Europe only.

Alan [My wife has the 930 and I have the 730]
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For both methods, it is wise to apply the sucker to the windscreen during warmer conditions - physics means the subsequent coolness will contract the small amount of remaining air under it to improve the suck/vacuum - conversely, you may find it falls off during hot weather when the air expands and degrades the vacuum. Drive to Morocco and attach the sucker, then return and do all your subsequent driving in the Arctic, Easy Meerkat sound!

And don't stick it on just before lighting up your heated windscreen!
Map: Europe v925.5413
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class 6 SDHC of 8GB ordered for £14 so that’s not too bad. thanks Dennis.

I will have to wait until the new card arrives in 5 days as the north America map is 1.8gb and the western & central Europe is 2.2gb
The only option it gives me is to load the smaller tomtom zones arghh!

Quote:
Yes you can.
I've made them available as a download and you just put the individual ogg files OR the entire folder (both work) into the "sounds" folder on the TomTom.
Read more and get the download HERE (You may need to register in that forum to get the download).

But have you considered using the VOICE alerts for the cameras
from this site?

Thanks Andy_P for the above info. More reading to do now. ill have a gander at the voice warnings as well.

Quote:
Do you have a "computer" (i.e. text to speech) voice selected? Kate and Simon are the usual OK ones. Only TTS voices will read out street names.

Yup, kate the computer cutie is loaded. Ill have to dealve deeper into this one.

Screen sucker.
Its speed hump and pothole town here in Wembley so ill look about for the other mount you suggested.

Quote:
I thought the 930 came withe Europe and USA maps? The 730 is Europe only.

Alan [My wife has the 930 and I have the 730]

Yup it does Alan.

Quote:
And don't stick it on just before lighting up your heated windscreen!

Ill try and remember that one John,thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: