Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - which map update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

which map update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vblanche
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: which map update? Reply with quote

Hello, I have a ONE XL with western europe 1GB (v710...), quite outdated. Via tomtom Home, update would be discounted update to latest map £27.80 + TT map update service 1 1/2 year £31.80, total = £59.60.

can I go only for update to latest map (it does not seem to work)? or should I buy a new map (v8.50)for £39.50?

Is this map update service worth? I don't think I drive enough for that.

thanks for advice/help,
vincent
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: which map update? Reply with quote

vblanche wrote:
Hello, I have a ONE XL with western europe 1GB (v710...), quite outdated. Via tomtom Home, update would be discounted update to latest map £27.80 + TT map update service 1 1/2 year £31.80, total = £59.60.

can I go only for update to latest map (it does not seem to work)? or should I buy a new map (v8.50)for £39.50?

thanks for advice/help,
vincent

Short answer no -- but I can see how you need a new map. Here's my experience (not sure what you mean by update-to-latest 'doesn't work', but don't spend any extra money until you see what happened to me):

I have ONE IQ Routes, no SD card. From what I've read XL's once had an SD card, but the newer ones don't, but I might be wrong. This is crucial if your old coverage is now in a map that has outgrown your device if it has no SD card slot. If you have the SD card slot, you're in much better shape.

My original map was Europe 2 GB (42 countries). I bought the one-year (4 updates guaranteed) Map Update Service in February and got the February update, and the whole Europe 2GB map fit my device (it was actually 1.75GB). Total cost was £39.80 (the current deal has 6 updates for less money).

The latest update (v8.50) has many new features (I can't say important ones) that have pushed the same map over 2GB. TomTom BV's bodge is to split the map into 4 overlapping 'zones'. In my device without an SD card, TT HOME takes an hour to install one of these zones, even after the zone file is already on your laptop. The only way to get the zone down is go through the hour process -- I tried interupting it, but wound up with 'NO MAP' until I let it go through.

'Switching Zones' requires a PC and always takes an hour on a no-SD-card device. For me that's worthless because two of the zones I used to have with the whole one-piece map now don't include the UK.

I complained to TomTom support, and they have confirmed that the current update will not be changed in this regard, but 'maybe next time'. Accordingly, I have asked for a £9.95 refund, as I will need my old map if I drive to the South or East zone. I'll ask for the other half back if they don't accomodate this mis-selling in the next update.

If your device has an SD card slot, you can avoid all this and get a card to hold the one-piece map. TT support has instructions to make this work, and there's plenty of help here, though I'm not qualified to help, with my 2 GB internal-only memory.

I face a fight over the rest of my 'update (un)service' money, and if my device is pushed to early obsolescence, I'll just use the old map as long as I can and then switch to Garmin.

Richard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original One XL was supplied in a few different variations:

1/ European with Internal Flash memory, SD card slot vacant
2/ Regional with Internal Flash memory , SD card slot vacant
3/ Regional with everything on SD card no internal Flash memory

In any of the above you can install an SD card of up to and including 2GB in capacity, to use the memory card though everything must be on the card including voices/ Navcore application postcode data etc.

Don't worry about your new map being "zoned" as it won't be, the One XL uses a different map to the units that include IQ Routes etc, it is the newer devices that are affected by the zoning. I also agree with the previous post in that this is a poor move, and a big step in the wrong direction,

Only you will know whether the additional new maps every three months will be worthwhile, but if you don't think you will be needing them why pay the extra in the first place - Mike
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: which map update? Reply with quote

vblanche wrote:
Via tomtom Home, update would be discounted update to latest map £27.80

can I go only for update to latest map (it does not seem to work)?

Vincent,

Big edit because of Mike's post.

I would definitely _NOT_ pay extra for the update service, because TT show signs of not playing fair on 'restricted memory devices', since Mike says yours only recognises SD's up to 2GB.

If none of this works after wading through support and getting advice here, just give up (get back the money for the latest map, if you spent it) and get a Garmin with a memory card. There's a chance the competition is better.

Richard
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: which map update? Reply with quote

vblanche wrote:

As a short answer to your question, the discounted price for the latest map is only available if you also buy the 18 months of updates.

So your choice is:
1) Pay £39.50 for the latest map
2) Pay £59.60 for the latest map plus updated maps every three months for 18 months.

If you think you'll be wanting a new map within the next couple of years it will be worth paying the extra £20 for the update service, as it will be much cheaper than buying a new map at that time. If not, just buy the map.
Samsung Galaxy S21
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: which map update? Reply with quote

Anita wrote:

As a short answer to your question, the discounted price for the latest map is only available if you also buy the 18 months of updates.

So your choice is:
1) Pay £39.50 for the latest map
2) Pay £59.60 for the latest map plus updated maps every three months for 18 months.

Excellent information - now I understand that the OP probably hasn't paid yet.

With my experience but in Vincent's place, the £39.50 would look dear enough to push me to the competition, since I now believe the Map Update Service is not trustworthy unless you have a device that supports big cards.

On the other hand, I can see £39.50 for two more years might be OK, but not cheap. I think the extra £20 is a bad idea. TT clearly have no commitment to someone with a 2GB card limitation (the card must contain the whole system and map) any more than they had a commitment to someone with a 2GB internal memory-no-card limitation.

Richard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WE map for this device is £39:95 and is 918,3MB in size so there is no issue with size limitations when combined with the 2GB card, the original One XL doesn't use IQ Routes so its map is considerably smaller than the new units complete with their "Bloatware" V850 over sized maps - Mike
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The WE map for this device is £39:95 and is 918,3MB in size so there is no issue with size limitations when combined with the 2GB card, the original One XL doesn't use IQ Routes so its map is considerably smaller than the new units complete with their "Bloatware" V850 over sized maps - Mike

That does sound better. It looks like the maximum map on One IQ Routes is around 1.8 GB. I don't know if the XL system is smaller, but it looks like the XL WE map would have to grow 882 MB or 96% in 18 months to be in trouble.

I wish this stuff had been easier to find when I bought mine.

Richard
vblanche
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The original One XL was supplied in a few different variations:

1/ European with Internal Flash memory, SD card slot vacant
2/ Regional with Internal Flash memory , SD card slot vacant
3/ Regional with everything on SD card no internal Flash memory

In any of the above you can install an SD card of up to and including 2GB in capacity, to use the memory card though everything must be on the card including voices/ Navcore application postcode data etc.

Don't worry about your new map being "zoned" as it won't be, the One XL uses a different map to the units that include IQ Routes etc, it is the newer devices that are affected by the zoning. I also agree with the previous post in that this is a poor move, and a big step in the wrong direction,

Only you will know whether the additional new maps every three months will be worthwhile, but if you don't think you will be needing them why pay the extra in the first place - Mike
Hi, I have the variation 1.

Thank you everybody for your quick and information-full replies. I think I will go for the new map (£39.50) which is quite a lot of money that i could put in a new device...anyway, I don't even know if I need a new map. Is it worth? I know that my current system is ok, I don't see what the new map will give me more?

anyway, thanks a lot to you all.
vincent
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 710 map is about three years old so there will be quite a difference with the newer map on the device but whether you will notice depends upon where you drive and how much the road network you drive on has changed in the last three years.
There have been some major changes to the A1M and M1 as specific examples that will differ between V710 and V850 with the latter depicting the road more accurately.
As for a new device, the newer models have a dumbed down user interface that you would see as a very backward step when compared to your One XL. Only the higher spec Go products still have the full menu system from the current models available - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: