Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Tom Tom - Map Crossover
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tom Tom - Map Crossover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SignumGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: New Tom Tom - Map Crossover Reply with quote

Hi all

Tom Tom's tend to sit and work as they wish not on here much - but after 3 years of faithful service my Tom Tom One has finally given up -

not from an operational software point of view, but one too many drops off the screen (has old old style bracket) has seen the charging/connection port get damaged, and finally snapped off PCB.

I have opened unit and if i use to clap to line up pins and hold it will charge, but i tried soldering it etc but the port itself is damaged etc etc.............time for new XL i think.

My question is, last year i went to Europe and paid my hard earnt £70 (or however much it was) on Europe map pack for my now defunct 'One', now can i transfer these to a new unit when i buy one, otherwise due to no intentional fault of my own the unit no longer works so if i can't the maps are therefore useless.

I question it because they ask you to put in unit serial number when you download them etc.

Any help appreciated Smile

Signum
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what device you get you may end up with a newer Europe map anyway.

Others have had success transferring maps and subscriptions between devices, raise a case with TT when you get your new device.

Use a different email address to register your new device against otherwise all kinds of strange things start happening.
SignumGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy -

although i must say i have just looked at current models on here as i post etc - and it seems for the XL europe, its only £20 more than the XL regional.

So for that i guess i may not need to transfer them over, just pay the £20 - the maps i downloaded for my old 'One' was the 'Western & Central Europe' pack - does the XL Europe cover the same area?

Interesting about the email addy - i only have the one Laughing Out Loud
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The email address does not have to be real, just in the proper format.

In other words, myaddress@nothing.com would be accepted.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi signum Wink

If you contact TT customer services and explain you've had to get a new TT because the old one broke, they should swap your map subscription over without any argument.
That's another reason to make sure you use a new email address for the new machine.

Now....
If you are in the market for new XL, be VERY careful to get an:

XL LIVE IQ Routes™ (regional or Europe)

and NOT an:

XL IQ Routes™ edition² (regional or Europe)

The latter has a "dumbed-down" menu and no way to manage your own POI files or get proximity warnings for them.

Might be worth looking at a refurbished 730 from the TomTom outlet store.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer models also support IQ Routes, which your old ONE probably doesn't, so the maps are different versions.

Make sure you don't get a START or any XL2 IQ as they have the simplified (dumbed down and useless) menu on them and no custom POI support as previously advised.

Try and find a refurb 730 or 740 - you will get Europe maps and the price may be about right.
SignumGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for you info to both, and Hi Andy Smile

Are the referbs good, price seems okay, what do they class as referbs, warranty replacements etc?

What sort of condition are they in, i got a bit of and OCD with things like that Laughing Out Loud, i love opening the box of my technologies and having a nice spanking unit that i can put together, place the battery in etc - Laughing Out Loud, sad i know.

I see it comes with Western Europe which is fine, im hitting Italy soon. Does anyone know what type of screen mount it comes with, (model/referb) - my current one has the old push has hard as you can mount - which is shite and has caused many a fall off, i like the easymount ones, but the pic shows my old one.

Sorry for so many questions but i do about 40,000 miles a year and Sat Nav is pretty important to me.

Thanks for your help

Signum
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the (one) personal experience I've had of them and several reports on the forums, the refurbs are fantastic, almost (if not completely indistinguishable from new. For example, the screens seem to be pristine even down to the plastic covering film.

I'm afraid you won't get a chance to put the battery in though! Laughing

You USUALLY get a Latest Map Guarantee too, but don't quote me on that in case it has changed recently.
One of the guys on YourTT forum has just got a refurb 930 and seems very pleased with it (apart from some confusion over map versions).

The mount will be this one (upsidedown in this pic, but it was the only one I could find quickly since TT messed about with their website again):

Not the greatest sucker in the world, the easyport one IS a lot better, but it did me OK until I built my own mount on the dash.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: