Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 720 not seeing SD cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 720 not seeing SD cards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewgdavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Go 720 not seeing SD cards Reply with quote

My GO720 does not 'see' cards in the SD slot, I get no option to switch between internal / external memory and the 'change device' option in Home is greyed out. I have re-installed the TT app on the device and re-installed Home both on TT support's instructions with no success. If I press the power button as the device is booting I can get the DOS style boot info screen which gives (correct) capacity available for both internal and SD card (presumably ruling out faulty card slot) - I'm assuming there's a line missing in a config file somewhere. Have tried six diff cards of various capacities but have run out of ideas
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a pin reset on the 720? (while the sdhc card is in the unit).
matthewgdavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes have tried pin resets with/without all sorts of cards
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size SD card?

Some systems have a 4gb limit
matthewgdavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest I have tried is 2GB standard SD, also 1GB, 512MB and even an old 256MB which once came with a TT map
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It **should** be a sdhc card and NOT just a sd card in that model. Further, with the current application (8.351), a 720 can use up to a 32-gig sdhc card.
matthewgdavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried an 8GB SDHC card from my MP3 player but results are the same - again the boot screen 'sees' the SDHC card and reads it's capacity correctly.
Pretty sure this is a software issue as I just don't get the option internal/external memory screens but don't know why! Don't know if the screens are missing or corrupt or if it's a config file with a line or two missing!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sideways thinking..

Try a different USB plughole for the TT/PC connection?

Don't use an unpowered USB expansion thingy?

Try a different PC?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matthewgdavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried all available USB ports on my PC, powered, unpowered and through a powered USB hub, also with TT dock and direct cable connection
Must admit have not tried a different PC and won't have access to one until next week - got to be worth a try - I'm stumped at the mo.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall TomTom Home and download/ install a fresh version as there might be nothing wrong with the device/ PC, also using a card reader with the card in the reader rather than the TomTom use Windows Explorer to create a folder named "mp3" in the root of the card without the ""), now copy a couple of mp3 tracks to the mp3 folder on the card.

Pop the card in to the TomTom and fire up the device, go to the Media Player/ mp3 option and does the device see the tracks on the card, this will prove the device is reading the card and the issue isn't with the device - Mike
matthewgdavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uninstalled/reinstalled Home several times to no effect but will certainly try it again
Interestingly your suggestion to write some MP3s to a folder on the card works fine - the TT Juke box lists all tracks on both the internal memory and the SD card - if I remove the card the list updates showing the internal MP3s only then updates again with the ones on the card when it's re-inserted. Seems the hardware and SD card are working fine as is the TT juke box.
Problem must be in Home (v.2.7.4.1962) although the problems existed on the last version as well or the TT application on the device (v8.351)
All very mysterious
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewgdavies wrote:
Problem must be in Home (v.2.7.4.1962) although the problems existed on the last version as well or the TT application on the device (v8.351)
All very mysterious

I wouldn't agree that anything Home does is "Mysterious" it certainly not that good, to be honest my usual description of it contains four letters "CRAP"

You don't need Home to see the SD card as everything can be achieved with the card in the reader, what exactly are you trying to use the card for? - Mike
matthewgdavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, thanks for your help on this, it's greatly appreciated.
I'm trying to put my main map (Western Europe) on the card as it's so large (1823mb) that the internal storage of 2gb is almost full without all the voices music etc.
I have used explorer to copy the maps and western europe folders to the SD card but if I try to switch maps the only one I'm offered is the one on the device. If I remove this map using explorer then I get a 'no maps' error

TT support have reviewed my system information files and can see no problems (not that that means much I know) but I'm pretty sure if I compared mine with another GO720 user's info files I would fine a line or two missing. For example an extract from mine says:-

Name = TomTom GO 720
Device Code = AK6A8A2LU6
Serial number = M67327B05949
Capabilities = ASR ArrivalSounds Bluetooth CarSymbol Caymann
Storage devices = Internal Memory (I: ) - Active
Installed Items = program/Navigator 8.351, voice/English(UK) - Jane 4, phonedb/connect2internet 15, startupscreen/splashw 1,

Surely there should be another line for
Storage devices = External Memory (?: ) - Inactive

or perhaps the existing line should be longer??

It's no a massive problem but it's always a pain having to delete something every time I want to add something (and of course on a point of principle it's not working correctly which I find annoying
matthewgdavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huum, not sure why a colon on here appears as a smiley??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Windows Explorer to view the contents of your Western_Europe map folder on the device and does it contain a file with the .meta.dct file extension - If this is missing then the map won't show up for selection on the device.

At least the mp3 test has shown the device is working with the card, Windows Explorer is all thats needed to install the map to the SD card, you are leaving the map folder name exactly the same? also make sure the Western_Europe map folder is in the root of the SD card otherwise the device won't see it - sub folders are not an option - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: