Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PMobile_var
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PMobile_var

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: PMobile_var Reply with quote

What on earth is this category?

I am not sure how there could be a mobile variable speed camera as it would have to be linked into the speed gantries to prove what the speed limit was at the time of the photo. Can anyone clafiriy this?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all explained in this post from last September!
Samsung Galaxy S21
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's made an appearance in this weeks database.... Shocked
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is correct. Mobile:83103 is reversible by the road has different speed limits depending on your direction.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
the road has different speed limits depending on your direction.
Why would they do that on a straight road I wonder???
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road does NOT have different speed limits according to your travel direction (and it's not a dual carriageway). Actually, that site is well outside the 40mph limit, which starts about halfway between the reported camera site and the crossroads (track) by the carpark for Stonehenge. We used to have a mobile@40 outside the carpark, inside the 40 limit and it was a sensible location as there are nearly always pedestrians using the road to cross between the carpark and Stonehenge (I think there's a pedestrian tunnel under the road?).

If we are to consider a reversible camera there, I feel we'd probably be better off with two, one for each direction with correct appropriate speed and heading on each, not a Variable one - to my mind, Variable is like the M42 and M25 variable Gatsos which have whatever speed is currently on the overhead gantries - this is a country road with no such traffic management scheme.

For my money, I'd be inclined to simply resurrect the old 40mph mobile outside the car park (although, yes, the straight 60mph road is something of a speedway - not least because it is a regular quick rat-run from A36 at Knook to A303 eastbound and vice versa, favourite route of mine, and you know what whitevanmen are like!!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The road does NOT have different speed limits according to your travel direction (and it's not a dual carriageway).

I was just going off the submission notes. I didn't have time to look into it past that...

It's a pMobile so it can be corrected when fully verified.

Quote:
If we are to consider a reversible camera there, I feel we'd probably be better off with two, one for each direction with correct appropriate speed and heading on each

+1

In fact i'd already suggested it... Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If we are to consider a reversible camera there, I feel we'd probably be better off with two, one for each direction with correct appropriate speed and heading on each

WHY??? If the road does not have different speeds for different directions as you say, why not just have one reversible cam at the correct speed on this single carriageway road? Very Happy
I thought that we had 'two for one' on reversibles on dual carriageways due to the inadequacies of the TT warning system Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why" is because the submitter has submitted a report with the comments that it's reversible (because it's on a tripod) and (in the submitter's opinion) is operable for both the speed limit it sits inside (60mph) and the speed limit it can see a couple of hundred yards away (40mph). If that is correct, we need one 60mph camera for the easterly direction and one 40mph for the westerly direction, to handle any satnav which can use directional info and presumably to get two warnings, one of which will be the correct speed, irrespective of direction of travel.

I've not visited the site to look - I myself verified the previous 40mph mobile, (Mobile:40798@40, which was purged from the database in January 2009, because nobody had reported it in action over a lengthy period - at least a year) based on the submission comments... "Monday 22nd October 2007, 0850 HRS. Mobile camera handheld by Police Officer located on sliproad just inside 40 MPH zone approaching Stonehenge car park."

This later submission doesn't actually say where it is, but the coordinates place it in an entrance to a field (see Hybrid View) a few hundred yards west of the previous one - such a shame that the comments don't say the words we need - either "at Stonehenge carpark" or "in field entrance west of Stonehenge". Indeed, the comments don't even say which direction it was operating in at the time it was seen! With my Verifier's hat on, I'd frankly reject the submission, simply because it's yet another one which hasn't got useful comments - all it says is "I've seen a camera here", but doesn't say where "here" is!

I still favour the old 40mph camera on the grounds that I would hope they use cameras to control traffic rather than rake in the cash and so the 40mph site is preferable for speed control and safety reasons.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
"Why" is because the submitter has submitted a report with the comments that it's reversible (because it's on a tripod) and (in the submitter's opinion) is operable for both the speed limit it sits inside (60mph) and the speed limit it can see a couple of hundred yards away (40mph). If that is correct, we need one 60mph camera for the easterly direction and one 40mph for the westerly direction, to handle any satnav which can use directional info and presumably to get two warnings, one of which will be the correct speed, irrespective of direction of travel.
Yes, I absolutely agree. Very Happy
I did read the submitter's comments, and your previous post that said
DennisN wrote:
The road does NOT have different speed limits according to your travel direction (and it's not a dual carriageway).
The reason why I asked "WHY" is because you said in your earlier post '..road does NOT have different speed limits..' so I could not, before your latest post, understand why you thought that we 'needed' two cams. Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If we are to consider a reversible camera there, I feel we'd probably be better off with two, one for each direction with correct appropriate speed and heading on each, not a Variable one - to my mind

I agree with DennisN that this sounds like the best option - warning systems can't deal with variable limits all that well so it's probably best that we try to avoid them when we possibly can...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: