Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Possible recommendations please?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible recommendations please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ESL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Possible recommendations please? Reply with quote

For a couple of years now, I have been using my TTG 530 with my Nokia N958GB for navigation, HD traffic and PGPS Cams, but now I fancy an update.

I also own an iPhone 3G as well, so this can be factored in as a potential solution as well.

I want to update my TTG530 to the latest device, I quite like the traffic service but not having to use the Nokia for traffic would save having additional phones in the car, and use of the Speed Cams database is a must.

Is a TomTom PND the way to go? What about the iPhone offering? Or is another PND altogether a better option.

Your opinions welcomed.

Regards
G
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, if you want traffic then the TomTom standalone is the way to go. Some people think PNDs are dead now that navigation is on the phone, but while a phone satnav would be handy for occasional use, a dedicated device is a lot better for the core navigation function of just being there and telling you where to turn etc. I can take calls on the hands free for example and not worry that the screen has now changed and is no longer showing where to turn, but that you are on a call and someone on facebook has sent you a message.

TomTom's LIVE traffic is excellent, so worth getting if you care about traffic. (I only travel occasionally, but when I do I want to KNOW what the traffic is doing. Well worth the money IMO).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of choice I would probably go for the iPhone solution BUT there is one huge downside to this - the lack of support for third party POI files, sure you can add the PGPSW database to the iPhone app IF you jailbreak the phone but even having done this yo won't get any warnings as the software doesn't contain the Warn When Near POI function. This really lets the iPhone app down and is a real shame IMHO.

If you want the PGPSW dtabase integrated with your nav software you have no option but to go with a PND - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: