Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 ipod help please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 ipod help please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdmbfossa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: 540 ipod help please. Reply with quote

I am thinking about getting the optional mount for my 540 to enable me to control my 2G iphone as an ipod and feed the audio out to the aux in on my headunit. I cant seem to find much at all about how good the TomTom is at ipod control though. Is the interface good and does it support album art? Is it easy to switch from the ipod display to the map and vice versa?

If anyone knows of any screenshots or videos of the unit in operation that would be great.

It will be quite expensive to buy the dock and cables if its not a success so any help or opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used by 740 for iPhone "iPod" control. It works, but it isn't marvellous. No artwork or anything, just a list of albums and the ability to move forward etc. I used it for podcasts and found it frustrating overall. I'd end up having to stop to find the next thing I wanted to listen to.

I stopped using it after reading about the ioPlay in the forums here. You can get it fitted at Halfords, or buy it cheaper online. Since using bluetooth it has been a lot nicer. Still not ideal for selecting tracks etc, but much easier to achieve good sound and has a decent microphone too.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big downside to the iPOD audio hook up to the TomTom is the lack of charging capability so on a long trip your iPhone/ iPOD will be discharged when you get to your destination, or probably before you get there!

I to use the iO-Play solution although I did a DIY install as its not very difficult - Mike
rdmbfossa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. My iphone is the original 2G so no bluetooth streaming without the adapter. Could I connected the satnav to the ioplay via bluetooth and the iphone via the 3.5mm adapter? and would it then cut out the radio/CD volume when I played a song through the ipod and also cut out the sound if the satnav was giving directions?

I would like the priorities to be the following starting from the highest.

Telephone, Satnav, ipod, Radio/CD.

Is it possible to set the ioplay up like that?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iO-Play can support two device but only one for each of the available Bluetooth profiles:

HFP (handsfree) for the mobile phone
A2DP (Stereo audio) which the iPOD via an addaptor can use and the TomTom could use.

I will have to dig out my iPOD cable and couple it to the 940 to see if what you want is possible as I am not too sure its possible to control the iPOD from an x40 and stream the music from the TomTom using Bluetooth.

The best solution would be a 940 with its integral mp3 player or consider loading MobileNova mp3 player to the 540 and install a large capacity MicroSD card containing all your music, this way you don't need the iPOD or the special lead and the iO-Play will do what you want as the phone gets the HFP connection with priority one and the TomTom can use the A2DP connection for music/ nav instructions as priority two, this would also mean the phone conversation is heard through the car speakers rather than the TomTom which is a better solution all round - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much better option in my opinion would be Kensington's LiquidAux iPhone charger/iTunes control.

It has a cigarette charger that power your iPhone and also has an Aux-Out lead to connect to your stereo.

The beauty of it is the wireless remote that attaches to your steering wheel. You can then control your iPhone and charge it and the system works brilliantly.

rdmbfossa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the liquidaux does look like it may be best for me. A question regarding the remote, my ideal solution would be for the iphone to be in the armrest of my car as it has a power socket and a 3.5mm jack (no USB unfortunately). I take it that the remote is rf would still work with the phone and cables in the armrest?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdmbfossa wrote:
Thanks, the liquidaux does look like it may be best for me. A question regarding the remote, my ideal solution would be for the iphone to be in the armrest of my car as it has a power socket and a 3.5mm jack (no USB unfortunately). I take it that the remote is rf would still work with the phone and cables in the armrest?

Yes, no problem, it's actually Bluetooth and my socket and aux-in is buried in the arm rest too. Works perfectly, no pairing required, attaches to wheel easily or can even be popped out of holder and stuck to dash if preferred.
rdmbfossa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry more questions. As well as ipod control the liquidaux appears to have bluetooth for music streaming and for phone calls. Will the handsfree calls still work if the liquidaux is in the armrest, does it have (or can you add) an external mic? Also will it stream the commands from the tomtom the same way as the ioplay? Thanks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdmbfossa wrote:
Sorry more questions. As well as ipod control the liquidaux appears to have bluetooth for music streaming and for phone calls. Will the handsfree calls still work if the liquidaux is in the armrest, does it have (or can you add) an external mic? Also will it stream the commands from the tomtom the same way as the ioplay? Thanks.

The Bluetooth LiquidAux is a different version. There are cabled, and non-cabled versions.

I have no experience of the Bluetooth version.

For hands-free it would be easier to pair it with your TomTom?
rdmbfossa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes more sense, I didn't realise there was different versions!

It looks like the ideal setup for me would be both the liquid aux and the ioplay.

The liquidaux to control and charge the ipod and play through the car aux port. The ioplay for handsfree calls and for satnav commands through the car stereo. This way I only need the satnav when I am actually using it for directions which is only on rare occasions plus I would not need the special ipod mount for the tomtom. This should be a neat solution also, phone and cables in the armrest, the totmtom connected by bluetooth so no dangly wires needed at all as long as the battery is charged in the tomtom.

It sounds too good to be true. Shocked There must be a catch.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: