Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backing up to computer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing up to computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
margek56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Backing up to computer Reply with quote

I have also submitted this request on TomTom Forum.

I have followed advice about backing up to PC but I am still not sure about connecting my device without HOME. When I connect device it asks if I want to connect to computer and I answer YES. Then it automatically opens HOME. Then I have to exit HOME in order to look at the files on my device in Windows Explorer. Is this the correct method I am using or is there a way of connecting without HOME?

margek56
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe is exactly how it should work:

Connect to PC
Home starts which is best to shut the PC application down
Start Windows Explorer

When you have finished use the disconnect USB device short cut from the system tray lower right corner of the PC (near where it displays the time), there will be an icon to disconnect USB - Mike
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the first two lines but you havent explained it very well to someone whose computer knowledge is limited, so I would say......

Connect to the PC with the USB cable supplied with the unit
The Tom Tom will then ask if you want to connect to computer...Tap YES
Tom Tom Home will start, Mimimise Tom Tom Home

If the folder containing the Tom Tom files on your unit has not opened click on START then MY COMPUTER then Click on REMOVABLE DISK
You may have more than one removable disk so this is what the folder should look like

Click on START then MY DOCUMENTS then TOM TOM
Right click on a blank area of that folder, that will give you a menu, choose NEW then FOLDER Whilst is stll highlighted in blue, type in the name you want to give it. I suggest TT Backup 27.03.10 (the last numbers being the date you made the backup on)

Go back to the REMOVABLE DISK folder (you will find it on the bottom Taskbar)and reopen it.
At the top left click on EDIT then SELECT ALL from the menu. This will highlight all the items in the folder.
Drag your mouse to the highlighted area, RIGHT CLICK on it and select copy from the menu. Miinimise that folder and open the TOM TOM file from My computer/ My Documents (you will find it on the bottom Taskbar)and reopen it.
Open the Backup Folder you created (it will be empty) RIGHT CLICK somewhere in the folder amd select PASTE
The contents of your Tom Tom will then be pasted into that folder. You can then close both files you have open by clicking on the 'X' at the top left corner of of the page.
Reopen Tom Tom Home (you will find it on the bottom Taskbar) Click on DEVICE, then DISCONNECT DEVICE.
When prompted to by Tom Tom Home, you can disconnect the USB cable from your device and close Tom Tom Home
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a good comprehensive 'how to' for what margek56 wants, But, he/she has already said that the job is done "I have followed advice about backing up to PC" So in the circumstances, Mike's answer was all that was required. Wink

I can imagine that a moderator's job is very time consuming hence the FAQs on the forum and the occasional brief answer.

Still, there are a lot of very clued up members of PGPSW and it is always a welcome to see the knowledge displayed...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one has yet mentioned that you can STOP Home starting up when you connect the TomTom to the PC.

In Home, go to the Tools menu, select Home Preferences and UN-TICK the option to "Start Home automatically when I connect my device".

That will stop the main program starting when you plug in the USB cable or put the TomTom on it's dock. You can still launch Home from the Start menu like normal if you want to use it.

--------------------------------

In fact, there will still be a "launcher" program for Home sitting in your PC memory. If you want to stop that as well, you can disable it in "msconfig" (Start menu / Run / type "msconfig" then find "TomTomHOMERunner" in the "startup" tab and un-tick it.

One of the many "Startup manager" programs for the PC will do the same job.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: