Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New camera type - bird house!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New camera type - bird house!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlankSheep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: New camera type - bird house! Reply with quote

I was fooled by this one until I went back for a closer look...

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/Bird-box-ruffles-drivers39-feathers.6090326.jp

and

http://www.hirdyman.co.uk/2010/02/22/undercover-bird-feeder-slows-crime-in-its-tracks-undercover/

Argghhh!

Ooops! wrong forum - could one of you kind moderators move this somewhere more appropriate? I couldn't delete it.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved Cool

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its only sat on a plastic drainpipe so a bottle of nail varnish remover would be quite effective Twisted Evil - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job he's retired and/or not an MP or we'd be getting an expenses claim from him for it.

Mike does nail varnish remover melt plastic drainpipes then?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Mike does nail varnish remover melt plastic drainpipes then?

Try some on a scrap bit of pipe and you will end up with a rather soggy lump of molten plastic - The birds won't get hurt if they are sat on top of the pipe as they can fly away before gravity takes over - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the second link said:
"I’d prefer a birdhouse that looks like a speed trap than a speed trap disguised as a birdhouse. "

But I can't imagine it will last for long if it gets much more news coverage.

BTW, possession of acetone is probably tantamount to a terrorism offence now. Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
possession of acetone is probably tantamount to a terrorism offence now. Confused

Thats why I didn't mention the chemical content of Nail Varnish remover as not all contain the necessary plastic melting chemic, cats out of the bag though now...... -
Mike
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
cat's out of the bag

Wahoo! Nail varnish remover, plastic tube, half a handfull of horsesh@t, and a fuse.
Instant prison term! Police

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
BlankSheep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instant prison term - you'll be "doing bird" then Very Happy

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod it, I'll be flipping the bird as I go past this one. Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All stinks of double standards too me. There was this story concerning another rather less convincing fake camera which we covered here last year.

He wasn't an ex copper and his didn't have the dubious role of birdbox and so he was threatened with legal action Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
He wasn't an ex copper and his didn't have the dubious role of birdbox and so he was threatened with legal action Confused

Wait till they have birds nesting in it - it will then be ILLEGAL* to take it down! Laughing

* Or something like that. I'm in tabloid newspaper mode so I won't let any unnecessary facts get in the way of my story
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Darren wrote:

Wait till they have birds nesting in it - it will then be ILLEGAL* to take it down! Laughing

* Or something like that. I'm in tabloid newspaper mode so I won't let any unnecessary facts get in the way of my story

It would be far more efficacious to sprinkle bat droppings on the floor underneath it - that would justify issuing a bat preservation notice and establishing a control zone perimeter. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
All stinks of double standards too me. There was this story concerning another rather less convincing fake camera which we covered here last year.

I think you're reading too much into what is, after all, a story in The Sun (arguably about as reliable as reading tea-leaves). ;)

The Sun's article, between the lines, indicated not-so-clearly that the alleged 'threat' of legal action *might* come from car-drivers themselves, who felt they'd been distracted. This is what the local plod are alleged to have said to the man, in advising him to take it down.

There is no indication that there is any clear threat of 'legal action' from any official body like the police or the council. Just a hint that some disgruntled driver might try.

And on the face of it, any car driver who attempted to bring what would be a private case (ergo, they'd only have the option after an accident, for damages), would have an incredibly hard job. If they claimed that they'd crashed, or been rear-ended as a result of slowing down to the speed limit, or over-reacted and pulled up sharp, or gone off the road... well, really, they're going to have a pretty tricky time getting even the most scurrillous no-win-no-fee lawyer to take that case on board! They'd lay themselves wide open to being prosecuted themselves, most likely for driving without due care and attention, or speeding, or even dangerous driving!

Nah. Much as I think the 'trick' of these fake boxes is a tad silly, and definitely underhanded, I don't think there are any 'standards' here to compare. Leastways, only the p***poor standards of journalism in The Sun, compared to the local rag! Smile

And to the owners of these birdboxes/fake cams, if they were REALLY serious about getting speeds reduced in their areas, they'd join their local camera partnerships, and campaign PROPERLY for such action to be taken, in the form of a REAL speed-camera. And then the effect would me much safer for everyone, including the car-drivers, and the awareness of the speed-limit would be much, much wider - after all, every PocketGPSWorld user would instantly know about the camera, well in advance, and thus the overall speed-reduction effect would happen far, far earlier, I've no doubt.

The birdboxers might think this is all a bit of fun, but they're just playing at being concerned, really. I don't think it's big or clever, and it would serve them right if someone did a 'Winnie Mandela' on their fake cameras. It'd be a dreadful shame for the birds, though - which to my mind shows how little the birdboxers really care about the birds at all. Nobody in their right minds would put the little birdies at risk from angry motorists, would they, so they can't really be bird-lovers at all, can they?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[SNIP]
And you think I'm reading too much into it Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: