Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update stopped voice alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update stopped voice alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Update stopped voice alerts Reply with quote

As my Holux failed I purchased TT XL seriies 1( £115 Halfords) when you register it updates maps and OS which stops you using voice alerts ,at my age I should have known better, will have to go back to the beeps of 6 years ago

Apologise big mistake should be in POI alerts forum brain begins to fail at 75
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to re-load and install an older version of the OS which shall take you back to the good old days.

1) What OS version did you have?
2) What OS version do you have now?
3) Did you make a back up before upgrading? TTHome or, preferably, WindowsExplorer.

EDIT - Are you sure that it does not have a small "2" somewhere in the model name because I have just read elsewhere that TomTom have stated that they shall not reduce a device's functions with a software upgrade (from past experience, they may reduce the quality of a function though).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
You should be able to re-load and install an older version of the OS which shall take you back to the good old days.

1) What OS version did you have?
2) What OS version do you have now?
3) Did you make a back up before upgrading? TTHome or, preferably, WindowsExplorer.

EDIT - Are you sure that it does not have a small "2" somewhere in the model name because I have just read elsewhere that TomTom have stated that they shall not reduce a device's functions with a software upgrade (from past experience, they may reduce the quality of a function though).

The os version 515773 19/4/2010
as it was new did not check version and allowed it to update there is no number just TT XL IQ routes edition

No unfortuneately did not back up ,such is life
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trout wrote:
The os version 515773 19/4/2010
as it was new did not check version and allowed it to update there is no number just TT XL IQ routes edition

No unfortuneately did not back up ,such is life

According to the TT website, the last NavCore version for the XL IQ routes edition prior to v9.xxx was Version 8.411. Hopefully, somebody may be able to post a link here to download direct and without using TTHome.

EDIT - Ignore this, looks like Andy_P has got a better idea than me. See following post.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it isn't the operating system update that has stopped your voice alerts. I have exactly the same version on my XL LIVE IQ Routes Edition, and all my voice alerts are working fine.

What exactly are the symptoms that make you say you've lost them? Is the menu to "Manage POIs" or "Warn when near POIs" missing or are they there but it just doesn't work?

Or something else?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

According to the TT website, the last NavCore version for the XL IQ routes edition prior to v9.xxx was Version 8.411.

To avoid any more confusion, you are both talking about the same thing.

The full software version number is v9.053.520930 OS 515773 (1023 19/4/2010).

We normally refer to the software version by the v9.053 bit, but when Ali first asked the question he mentioned "OS" so trout gave him the second part of the number.
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Well it isn't the operating system update that has stopped your voice alerts. I have exactly the same version on my XL LIVE IQ Routes Edition, and all my voice alerts are working fine.

What exactly are the symptoms that make you say you've lost them? Is the menu to "Manage POIs" or "Warn when near POIs" missing or are they there but it just doesn't work?

Or something else?

When I try to confim on POI warning screen it locks up and the speaker icon doesnot show
the pois show on the map
,will try to reload again and check
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just realised what forum section we're in and that you mentioned in your first post it needed moving!

I'll put it in the TomTom PND section, but leave a link to it in the original place until you've posted again (after that, look for it in the TomTom section).

I think re-installing the software might be the first thing to do.

Make a full backup with Win Explorer now (instructions in the FAQs in the TomTom PND section)

Then delete all the files which are NOT in folders. Do not delete any folders (if you aren't sure of the difference, ask first).

Then run Home and it should offer to reinstall the software.

The next thing I would do is to take the warning voice files (all the '.ogg' files) out of your map's folder and put them into the "sounds" folder instead. Then you should be able to select them on the normal sound effects screen. I find this method a bit more stable.
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details will have ago tomorrow and report back
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trout wrote:

I put the voices in the sound file as suggested they are a bit small to be able to read the names otherwise all ok

Yes that's the only problem.
In order to maintain compatibility with the old method, the names of the audio files were kept the same as the camera data files. So unfortunately they all have "PocketGPS... at the beginning of the names and when they are shown on screen all you see is the "PocketGPS..." bit!

It was decided it was far too late to change the names of the data files to put the relevant bit of the name a the front, but there's no reason why you couldn't do that with the voice files now, as the names don't have to match the other files.

The ones I use are kept in a folder called "SimonTTS+Chime" and the files themselves are just called Fixed30.ogg, Mobile60.ogg etc. so are much easier to read on screen.

APOLOGIES TROUT, from Andy_P.
I meant to REPLY to your post but I must have hit EDIT instead. That's why all that remains of your post is the bit I meant to quote, then the rest of this post is now what I meant to reply.
Sorry! Embarassed
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it contradicts the previous advice, but the easiest way to do it is to put the .ogg files in the map folder along with the camera poi files. The .ogg and the .ov2 file have to have the same name for this to work, if they are the downloaded POIs and .ogg files from here then they will be already.

Then when you are doing the warn near POI bit it does not prompt you to choose any warning sound, it just asks you if this is the sound you want to select without playing any sound. Choose yes, under no circumstances choose no or your TT will crash Crying or Very sad

Works fine for me with Nav9 on a XL LIVE IQ.
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway it is now working ok
Many thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
I know it contradicts the previous advice, but the easiest way to do it.....

Maybe easiest, unless you are confused by the messages coming from the TT

....or until it doesn't work properly.

It's an undocumented feature that was never properly implemented (hence the strange messages). The 'sounds folder' method is TomTom's preferred one and I've never had it cause a crash even when copying mapsettings.cfg from version to version, whereas I have had them when using the "same name" one.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Maybe easiest, unless you are confused by the messages coming from the TT

....or until it doesn't work properly.

A few weeks back I decided to try "your" method, Andy, but heading back from Yorkshire on the A1 through miles of roadworks the 720 started "bonging". I was puzzled, until I realised it had reverted to the TomTom sound for the specs cameras. Set them all up again when I stopped at the services, and later in the week it happened again, so I went back to putting the files in the map folder, and it's been fine ever since.

I'd rather have to set the camera alerts up again when I download a new map every three months than twice in a week!

Quote:
The 'sounds folder' method is TomTom's preferred one

Since when did anything being TomTom's preferred method mean it was best? Rolling Eyes Laughing
Samsung Galaxy S21
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the sounds folder method is that you have to rename all the files as the filenames are too long to differentiate between them on the TT screen.

Putting them in the map folder is fairly foolproof as the .ogg and .ov2 files match up so you can't accidently choose a gatso 70 warning for a 30mph camera Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: