Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 20mph speed limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

20mph speed limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: 20mph speed limits Reply with quote

First, I have heard and approve of the idea to set blanket town limits at 20mph if "they" see fit to do so.

I have a GO520 and an XL Live IQ, both updated with latest map v845.

Since getting this new map, both devices are now regularly bleating at me for exceeding a 20mph limit which has been set on the maps in areas where the limit is reduced during school entry and leaving times (signs saying 20mph when lights flash).

I don't download Mapshare "corrections" so it's not them, it's got to be hard coded into the new maps.

Can anybody explain the logic behind setting permanent speed limits to cover a couple of hours a day, for about 200 yards, especially when your attention is drawn to the temporary limit by flashing lights?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, check your Safatey Preferences--Warn when near a church or school. Got it checked, by any chance?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No David, it's not that - the only one I have checked is "Warn when driving faster than allowed". I have my status bar set to display speed limit alongside speed, and it warns if my speed goes more than 3mph above the map's limit. In these cases, the map is displaying 20mph.

GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on those warnings ages ago. I still have the 'map' speed shown which goes red when I'm over what it thinks is the limit though. At least all the errors I've seen show the limit lower than it really is - including Spaghetti Junction, which is a motorway 70 limit, shown as a 30!

Warn when near church or school only appears to set a POI warning on a couple of in-built categories - including all the Uni buildings round here (which are in a permanent 20 but that's to stop people driving though the centre instead of using the ring road).
Brodit ProClip mount
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 20mph speed limits Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Can anybody explain the logic behind setting permanent speed limits to cover a couple of hours a day

No, because there is no logic in their minds except that SPEED KILLS.

It's not drunks, drug addicts, unsafe vehicles, poor road layout/maintenance, lack of school crossing patrols and unemployed idiots with no licence/tax/insurance driving stolen cars while banned who couldn't give a stuff because they know that sod all is going to happen to them when they get caught anyway.

It's the law abiding ones that take the brunt of the punishment.

Arrrgggh. Evil or Very Mad I'm off to read the Daily Mail now so I can calm myself down a bit. Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 20mph speed limits Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
It's the law abiding ones that take the brunt of the punishment.
Almost law abiding then Twisted Evil Shocked
Skippy wrote:
Arrrgggh. Evil or Very Mad I'm off to read the Daily Mail now so I can calm myself down a bit. Laughing
Well, that should do the trick !!!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on. I'm having a go at TomTom and/or the somebodies who have set a permanent speed limit in the TT maps so that even though the speed limit is not in effect outside school start/end times, the device still shows and reacts to the limit. Except for the couple of hours Monday to Friday when the limit is in effect, driving at 25mph in the area results in excess speed warnings.

Somebody, somewhere has said the speed limit on the TT map should be changed permanently to 20mph where this happens, but it's NOT permanent, it's temporary for a couple of hours a day.

I'm presumimg that the speed limit has been classed by somebody as permanently temporary from (roughly) 8am to 9am and 3pm to 4pm Monday to Friday. I can't understand the logic behind that/those person/s thinking.

andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just change them back to 30 mph like I do ..20 mph might as well get out and push
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a newbie to the TT XL I have only just noticed this "feature"

Two thoughts spring to mind.

1) I suppose the warning will sound ALL THROUGH the holidays Rolling Eyes

2) Places of Worship, do they sound only on THE DAY of worship, (could be useful, if you need to know the religion) or every day of the week Wink

Rgds

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: