Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Services - Fuel prices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Services - Fuel prices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: TT Services - Fuel prices Reply with quote

Just started using this "service", and I've found it absolute rubbish.. Sad

I have the LPG prices selected.. and not only are prices stupidly wrong... it has now sent me to 3 service stations that don't even sell LPG ... yet it lists a price.

I don't know how TT get their information .. but it is actually worse then useless .... Sad

Anyone else any experience of this ?? and just how do we tell TT the information is wrong ???
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a recent thread on this matter. I know that the Petrol Stations listed on my device, showing diesel at £1.04 no longer exist. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page that says that "prices may be up to 5 days old". This should read "5 YEARS old". The author of the thread compiled evidence of the wrong data and put it to TomTom. He was given free months Live Services for his trouble but it seems that TomTom has done nothing to rectify the problem.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=81186
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I checked local 'Fuel prices', which was about 3 weeks ago, I could buy derv for under £1.00 per litre at one station 20 miles away & at least 6 were selling derv between £1.00 & £1.00.

Also, 5 days in a looong time when it comes to fuel pricing, not least because there are free web sites that provide up to date fuel prices on a daily basis. Considering we are paying for this service it's very poor & certainly not what I expected.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, innit? I don't use this service - I don't care about the price when I'm desperate for fuel, I just need to know there is some nearby.

However, I've just done the update and have asked for diesel nearby. My closest fuel is an Esso garage where I filled up at 4:15pm today at the price of £1.119. My XL Live says the price there is 1.12. On the very few occasions I've done this check, the price has always been that close. Maybe my local Esso garage is good at telling TT?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 'cos you live in the sticks and don't have as many petrol stations to choose from, Dennis?

I just managed to find a TomTom where the LIVE services are still working and can tell you that as of this moment, if I look at "Cheapest in area" EVERY ONE (that's 48 entries) are still showing unleaded at £1.09 or less and there are still three at £1.00 and one at 96p
According to PetrolPrices. com yesterday, the cheapest in my area is currently 111.9p, which I'd agree with.

Oh, and I never got the promised free months of Live Services either! Evil or Very Mad
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise I'm in the minority here ... but my main moan (whinge) was about the fact that .. REGARDLESS OF PRICE ... TT Fuel is sending me to petrol stations that don't even stock LPG, ... and never have apparently ... so just how do they have a price at all.

If the price was wrong I could, almost, accept it, as the data might just be a few days old ... but to go a station that doesn't even stock the stuff is worse than useless, especially when 100 miles from home and you don't know the area.

Sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entwood wrote:
...my main moan (whinge) was about the fact that .. REGARDLESS OF PRICE ... TT Fuel is sending me to petrol stations that don't even stock LPG, ... and never have apparently ... so just how do they have a price at all.

If you have a look back at the topic I started that Seamaster links to above, the examples I sent to TomTom included:
The locations I looked at included:

1. a Shell service station on the North Circular Road which turned out to be a Tyre yard and HSS Hire shop

2. another Shell service station in Stonebridge Park which was a Mechanical engineers and auto electricians.

3. an Asda superstore that sold petrol in Barnet, which was a private house in a completely residential area

4. a BP station in Yeading which was another private house BUT only 200yds from a real BP station, ALSO on their list (showing no prices currently) but with the same phone number (confusing eh?)

5. another BP station in Wandsworth, that WAS a petrol station about two years ago, but I remember it being bulldozed to make way for a block of new flats. (it was on my route from work to my mother's house so I remember it well).

If that wasn't enough for them, I also took some of Falkirk and Seamaster's examples (which we hadn't actually visited) and put those locations into Google aerial views (or MS Bing) and LOOKED for petrol stations.
Several of them were supermarkets like Somerfield or Tescos, so I could also look on their company websites to see if the stores in those towns had petrol stations attached.

Basically, NONE of the places with petrol prices under £1 existed, but they were often places CONNECTED with the motor industry, such as a car repairers, a tyre yard, a motorcycle sales and repair company.

... So you're lucky that your ones sold ANY sort of petrol! Laughing

It's improved VERY slightly, but still a mess.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me about this situation is not so much that the information is wrong but that TomTom don't seem to care & certainly don’t appear to be fixing. They're offering new users 1yrs Live Services FOC as an inducement to buy, but where does that leave those of us who have already bought an x40 or x50? The answer is with HD Traffic that works when it feels like it, Fuel Prices that no one in their right mind would trust, a safety camera database that is worse than useless & UK weather forecasts, which has to be an oxymoron Grrrrrrrr

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: