Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nüvi 255 - Ecoroute not present ... and won't install
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nüvi 255 - Ecoroute not present ... and won't install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Nüvi 255 - Ecoroute not present ... and won't install Reply with quote

I just bought a 2nd hand Nüvi 255 and there's no Ecoroute on it; but there should be: (Official spec here)

This unit was sold as faulty (as in "Can't Unlock Maps"). This wasn't surprising, given that the map file was in the wrong directory. The previous owner also seems to have deleted large chunks of files at random, that I *think* I've restored from another unit. I've updated the firmware, reset, downgraded the firmware, re-upgraded etc etc - but there's no sign of ECORoute appearing!

I have spoken to Garmin, but they don't know either. They will 'have a look at it', for a fee.

I know Ecoroute, in general, is as much use as a chocolate teapot, but it might matter to whoever buys it from me...

Anyone else come across this?
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help, I'm afraid, except to offer a comparison with a working unit.

I've had EcoRoute on my 255 since new, and software updates have brought the addition of the Driving Challenge to EcoRoute's facilities. (I think the Mileage Reports are quite a useful feature of EcoRoute).

I'm currently on Software Version 6.0, BTW.

When updating, some bits of the software (eg Traffic receiver; help files) have to be selected separately. I don't recall EcoRoute being one of these "extras", but you could just check.

Dales.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that EcoRoute doesn't appear on the main front screen until it's activated.
Normally it sits hidden under the Tools menu.

Dales.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
When updating, some bits of the software ... I don't recall EcoRoute being one of these "extras", but you could just check.

Thanks for your input.

I'm not actually sure that the 255 and your 255W run the same firmware, but for the 255, Ecoroute seems to have been introduced as part of firmware V4.80 (Maintenance log here). Garmin 1st line support told me that there was no separate download for Ecoroute, but this web page implies there is/was (it says Run Webupdater & "Select ecoRoute from the list of update options"

According to the IFIX value on this unit, it first saw light of day on the 8th of December, so you would have expected it to come with Ecoroute installed and working. There was a \Reports directory containing Scores.bin, so I suspect it was - and the previous owner somehow killed it!

I found a copy of firmware V4.70 and downgraded to that, but still no offer of Ecoroute from WebUpdater Sad

I don't know if it's just a case of Webupdater not realising that it should offer Ecoroute as a download option for this unit - or if, in fact, Ecoroute is installed - but some reason doesn't believe this unit is qualified to run it.

I should be getting a Nüvi 215 in the near future, so I'll try some comparisons with that unit...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: