Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 865T Memory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 865T Memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ander02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin 865T Memory Reply with quote

Hello,
I've got a Garmin 865T and when it works I'm very happy with it!
However, after my last map update things went wrong, during the update it said it didn't have enough memory but continued anyway. This resulted in a number of problems most of which Garmin support have fixed by sending me version 4.70 of the operating system. I've also done a full factory reset as per their instructions.

However, if I try and plot a route from the midlands (e.g. Solihull) to southern Europe (e.g. Lagos, Lagos in Portugal) then it complains that it doesn't have enough memory. Garmin support now say it's too long a route and to break it down, but I think I should be able navigate from anywhere in the map database to anywhere else, OK if I set several via points it might struggle but it should be able to do any direct A to B route.

So could anyone with an 865T please tell me...

How much memory is used on your device? Mine shows 3.38gb used, 104mb free even after the full reset and no personal data (mp3s or photos) stored on the device.

Could you please try plotting a route from Solihull to Lagos in Portugal and let me know if it can map it ok, if so maybe add a couple of via points (Rome, Munich) and let me know if it can still cope.

Thank you very much.
Frank
alansbestmate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

I have an 860 with the latest maps and 785mb of free space. I did have a clear out of its memory, deleting voices I do not need. There are a lot in there and the TTS ones take up a lot of memory. I also deleted the sample mp3 and audiobook files. I have tried to plan the route you suggest but I also get the 'not enough memory' message after 77% of the route has been calculated. I am off the the Black Forest next month and it copes OK with that in one go, perhaps Lagos is just that bit too far?

Gary
ezabuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Plotted OK Reply with quote

Hi plotted Solihull west midlands to Lagos in Portugal in approx 1minute distance of 1629ml 30hrs 28mins - expected travel time Surprised

I then added Rome but dunno how to do via points so its solihull-lagos-rome at present and that was fine too in plotting route ok.

However, I should point out one of the first things I did with my nuvi is buy a 16GB memory chip so I do have higher capacity available than most. I wanted to load all sorts of POIs and music as well as future usa maps hence why I did this.

Anyway, just wanted to add a thank you coz I didn't know there was a 4.7 update available and i have been having terrible problems with only occasional use of my Nuvi 865T unit bought sep 2009 and it crashed approx half a dozen times on a single trip to birmingham - frozen screen and unrepsonsive resolved only by removing battery and restarting unit! Perfect action to take whilst driving 70mph on the M1 motorway I'm sure you will agree.

I will see how far this update goes to resolve my freezing issue but will be most interested in hearing what this firmware actually resolves if anyone has any info pls kindly add on to this thread or link to here. Much appreciated. Taaaa!
ander02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your responses.

Garmin list the following fixes for the 865T v4.7 update...
* General stability fixes.
* Resolved issue where scrolling through map in dense area may cause street labels to not be displayed.
* Resolved issue with unit converter precision and rounding.
* Fixed issue where roundabout turn icon occasionally drew at an incorrect angle.
* Fixed issue with Arabic street names not displaying.
* Resolved issue where searching near route could cause device to freeze/restart.
* Resolved issue with several foreign languages not displaying full name of streets in map view.
* Fixed loss of audio with Bluetooth and FM transmitter.
* Now capable of reading files (maps, etc) larger than 2GB.
* Resolved issue causing European devices not to be seen by WebUpdater or other Garmin software.

The URL for the download is...
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4439

I had similar problems with it crashing, not tried on a long route since updating to 4.7.

I've got a 4gb card in my unit, but that doesn't seem to be available for route calculation so I still can't plot a direct route to Lagos. Garmins advice to plot it in stages would mean buying a map, work out the route myself then plot a route to a town midway. Slightly defeats the point of the satnav will full europe mapping.

Does anyone know how much free space there should be on the unit? And is there a "correct" way to delete un-wanted languages etc. to free up space (although I do like having instructions in French to confuse me every so often!!!)

Thanks.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It leaves a lot to be desired if a unit that is designed for European mapping, hence travel, has not sufficient memory to handle a route ...... Not fit for the purpose comes to mind Confused .com

Con.
gomara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: NUVI 'Memory' Reply with quote

There is a little confusion in the posts above related to Nuvi 'memory'. The memory used for route calculations is the internal memory in the unit, and is not related to the area where maps etc. are stored. Adding a 4,8 or even 16GB card will make absolutely no difference, neither will removing voices etc, as these are stored on different media. Think of the internal memory as the RAM in a computer, while the map data is the 'hard drive'. System memory for the Nuvi 205, for example, comes from 32Mbyte of DDR SDRAM. No amount of hard drive space will help if the RAM is too small. While I dont know the size of the Nuvi 865 'RAM', it cannot be expanded, and the only solution to this issue is a firmware update optimising 'RAM' usage.
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just tried to do route on my 765T.

That works fine, no problem, took about 30 secs to calculate it.

I do not have any memory card. Just the built in 4gb memory.

Robin...
ander02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information Gomara, I've tried filling the device up to only having 3mb free, then deleting all media files and unused voices, in either cases it makes no difference to the length of route it can calculate. At least this now makes sense as I assumed it would use the available memory as required like a computer uses a scratch file when it runs out of system memory.

So the conclusion is that either the device was never fit for purpose (ie. it should be to calculate a route from any point in europe to any other point, can't recall the marketing blurb saying "full european mapping as long as you don't want to go too far") or a recent update has taken up too much of the memory.

Seems strange that a 765 can plot my route (Ezabuk doesn't say what unit they have but they can also plot it).

Anyone with an 865T able to confirm if they can plot Solihull to Lagos in Portugal, if so what OS and map version do you have please?

BTW. I have it set to avoid toll roads, I've tried setting it to allow toll roads to see if that would give a shorter route through France but it didn't make any difference.

Regards
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought it should route from any point to any other point that it has maps for.

If it cant do that its not fit for purpose.

However I wonder if something is going on with the software that has locked out memory.

Have you done a full reset on it ?

Maybe a fresh install of firmware.

Never had problems like this on a gps.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A silly question I know Embarassed , but here goes ... Have you got ferries enabled?
ander02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a silly question, but yes, ferries are enabled so that shouldn't be the problem.

I've just tried creating a route from Calais to Lagos (therefore avoiding the ferries and reducing the distance to be mapped by almost 200 miles) and it gets to 59% before giving up and going back to the route entry screen.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed on the AMAZON site that the 865T is not available and unable to say if and when it will be.
What do you think ? Discontinued ?

Con.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: