Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FREE Lifetime Map/traffic Updates for new NA models!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FREE Lifetime Map/traffic Updates for new NA models!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: FREE Lifetime Map/traffic Updates for new NA models! Reply with quote

See information in this link
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm,

That's a good read. I wonder what's brought it on?
can they justify the 50 quid (example) at present for new maps, bearing in mind that there may not be much change in them anyway.

Will see if they offer UK/EU the same.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that clarification is being sought today as to whether the same free/free will apply in Europe. If I hear anything, I'll post here.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... google stop using teleatlas (tomtom) maps in the usa and also release the free turn-by-turn stuff for android...

tomtom now offer free maps for it's usa customers.. i wonder if it could be a direct 'attack' (too strong a word, but the best i can think of!) to try to keep american customers who may be tempted to shift to google 's mapping cos it's free?

MaFt
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There certainly is street talk State Side that Google's actions had alot to do with TomTom's free/free decision.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me if I am being dumb, but where does it actually say 'Free' updates? It does say 'Subscription' and 'typically quarterly' but I can't see the word 'Free'.

The link to the Traffic item fails in my Firefox 3.5.7 & IE8, so if it is there, apologies.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote by the American Tom Tom president:
“Roads are continually changing– from new street names to closed bridges – so it’s important for users to always have the most up-to-date maps,” said Jocelyn Vigreux, president of TomTom Inc. “With the introduction of Lifetime Map Updates, customers can rest assured that the directions their TomTom device provides will always be the most accurate and efficient available.”

Lifetime = free.

He used the same term ('Lifetime') to announce the Traffic offering.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

thanks for the clarification. I'm still sceptical about the term. I think that on here, 'Lifetime' as in membership is often prefixed with the word 'free'. i.e 'Free Lifetime Membership'.

Anyway, it would be great to be proven wrong in this case. No doubt more information will be forthcoming in due course.
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when Google give Teleatlas the bullet in Europe, which is no doubt on it's way with this agreement with AND they supposedly have, will they give all their maps away free here too?

Not sure TA's business model would be too accommodating to that, perhaps they will just make up their entire data from Mapshare corrections, that would save a bob or two.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not convinced that 'lifetime' = free. it could simply be that you pay $200 for lifetime map updates. also, in that link 'free' is only used when mentioning the tt home software, NOT the map updates.

garmin do a lifetime map update BUT it is not free.

MaFt
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More clarification is being sought as I type this post. Let's see what develops.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, see the following...........
----------------------------------------------------
dhn wrote:
Quote:
But what traffic? RDS-TMC or Traffic Plus or Live Traffic???

It could be any of them. They haven't yet announced any products for which it is going to be on. The point is that it will be bundled with the device.

dhn wrote:
Quote:
1. For those of us still on a subscription (I think I have one more map to go) how will the lifetime 'merge' with ongoing subscriptions?

They haven't announced any merge or upgrade. The lifetime map product will be included with future product releases like the Ease. There currently isn't any path for people to "purchase" a lifetime product for an existing product. The "lifetime" products will be bundled with future releases.

dhn wrote:
Quote:
2. While it's nice that there IS a Canada map store now, will lifetime subscriptions still have to go through the (convoluted) European (read: mandatory 20%VAT) servers?

Again, there is currently no way to "purchase" a lifetime product separate from a device. The lifetime product is included with newer models. However they did say they are getting closer to a solution to the VAT issues for people purchasing products within Canada.

So the bottom line is this. The lifetime traffic and lifetime maps are going to be bundled with future product releases (like the Ease which will get maps) and at this time they haven't announced any such product for other existing devices.

I asked why the press release was rather vague about the "cost" of the lifetime map product... why they didn't scream "this GPS comes with free map updates for life". Their answer was that they were trying to be transparent and to recognize that the "cost" of the "free" map updates was built into the cost of the device, and thus they didn't want to imply that it was "free"... rather "included". Another way to put it is that they are not saying that the TomTom Ease comes with "free" TTS... TTS is built into the price of the device, so it isn't really "free".
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a summary of a conversation between Tim Flight, the admin of the US based gps site, gpsreview.net, and members of TomTom America at the CES that is going on in Las Vegas right now.

The questions you see posed by me were put by Tim to the TomTom officials.

Hope this clarifies some issues.....
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that including the cost of services in the initial cost gets TomTom the money for the services and people cannot opt out later to save money when they realise the quality of some of the services.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subsequent scuttlebutt is that TT may be backing away from offering the free/free for ALL new models introduced in the States. The EASE, which is the US version of the European START, is supposed to be released in March 2010. Initially, this model was supposed to have the free/free included.

Now, TT is apparently saying for all NEW models from Q2 2010 and onwards. Journalists and others are having a tough time pinning TT officials down.

See here
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official announcement will be made at CES today. As las Vegas is GMT -8 I don't expect any news until after 6 tonight UK time.

The news being published so far is based on some snippets leaked by TomTom ahead of the announcement but we should get the full detail later.

This is a TomTom NA announcement though and so does not include devices outside the North America sales region so whether this will cover devices elsewhere remains to be seen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: